CSST

Here is a photo of new construction inspection done yesterday. Gas for range on an island ran through the foundation. It was CSST tubing. No bonding observed. This is common for almost every home with a gas range top on an island. Many existing home have this same issue. Question is, " How can it be corrected?" I do not have this answer at this time. In order to run a gas line in concrete slab on grade it needs to be flexible material. With CSST concerns, what flexible material is safe? I do not mean Safe per the manufacturers?

Every Inspector needs to report these concerns to protect consumers as well as themselves.

image.jpg

Thanks Paul.

I have seen black pipe run under a slab in the “vented pipe in a pipe method”. Good observation. Lookie out fer dem yaller snakes".

1981 built Katy home with CSST at the fireplace cabinet.

Two years ago we changed our kitchen electric cooktop to a gas cooktop. Local / long-term plumber that I’ve known extended the gas line to the kitchen for the new cooktop.

He refused to even consider CSST (he hates it). His installer was a master with black iron and did a great job.

He shared some horror stories he has seen and resolved some problems with CSST installations and just doesn’t want to risk his business on the product.

Good observation Paul, at present neither the code or the manufacturers offer a resolution to existing installations, the jurisdictions ignore the issue in large part and the inspector stands as the last line of defense. In preparing for the TPREIA/InterNACHI CSST seminar at A&M last month…inspectors cannot lean on either code or the manufacturers install instructions anyway…'cause they change and leave us and our clients defenseless.

Good observation Paul, at present neither the code or the manufacturers offer a resolution to existing installations, the jurisdictions ignore the issue in large part and the inspector stands as the last line of defense. In preparing for the TPREIA/InterNACHI CSST seminar at A&M last month we found that inspectors cannot lean on either code or the manufacturers install instructions anyway…'cause they change and leave us and our clients defenseless.
By the way, this inspector dilemma includes the black jacket as well as the yellow jacket.

Picture4.jpg

What is the proper method for running the ‘yellow snake’ in a slab ? Where should it be run and where shouldn’t it be run? Just to clarify the concerns. Thanks, John

Every now and then I will see a gas pipe run under a slab to serve a kitchen island. Local officials require the gas line be sleeved in a larger sized pipe (they use PVC here). The sleeve begins outside the building and up through the slab (the island). The inside termination of the sleeve, the space between the sleeve and the gas line, must be sealed. They usually use a black rubber bushing. The outside sleeve must vent above ground and the vent be turned downward and screened. The gas pipe must be rated for underground burial but I recall seeing a CSST manufacturer reference it with limitations (no connectors in the pipe).

*(http://www.nachi.org/forum/attachments/f20/40455d1291133546-flex-gas-pipe-boiler-underground-piping-2.jpg).

If an inspector does not see this scenario often they may not look to see how it was done. It is easy to overlook.*

Great info and illustration thanks

Good pic John, I often see the venting side of the conduit coming up in a wall cavity with the same described venting to the exterior. Did not see any bonding in the pic…dont forget the bonding boys and girls.
How are we treating underground CSST?
Dont think it is burial rated.

CSST that I have seen is not rated for direct burial. I did see one exception but I cannot remember the name of it. I am inclined to write up any gas line material that looks susceptible to damage and my gut feel is CSST will lose the war with my lawn guys weed eater (heck he has chopped down my fence posts :>).

I did have a dialog with a CSST manufacturer regarding running CSST on the ground in a crawlspace. They seemed noncommital on the topic. Without researching I also write up any CSST laying on the soil or poorly supported in a crawlspace.

Bonding questions regarding sleeved and buried CSST are interesting. The runs are typically short, buried and encased in a sleeve that is usually PVC. I defer to the engineers but it would seem difficult for the material to arc to anything in a sleeved and buried application.

Up north I’ve never seen CSST run on crawlspace floors; thru concrete walls OR floor slabs; only see it bonded once or twice … So its always a call out to refer for evaluation and service or repair to a licensed and competent *************