Starting up a Home Inspection business

1.Would structuring my one man independent home inspection business as an LLC be neccesary?
2.If so, where would I start when forming an LLC in Texas?
3.How do most inspectors in Texas structure their inspection businesses?

1 Like

Cody, please go to your control panel and check “include location information”.

Cody,
Im from Michigan, so I cant help you with Texas specific questions.

I have operated as an Doing Business As (DBA) for more than a decade. IF I had an absolutely slamming business to start or restart, I would consider an LLC. The cost to benefit in my case it too cost preventative. Every person has different needs, and different objectives. My accountant told me it would be about 1500- 2000 to get me set up as an LLC that he recommends. Places like Legalzoom.com can do it for far less (if you do the paperwork) but you run the risk of neglecting something.

Hope this was helpful.

http://www.nachi.org/inc.htm

1 Like

This may be a good start for info.

I used Legal Zoom for my LLC. It cost $500 total. Also be sure to register your LLC name with the county. Give me a call anytime if you have any questions.
Bryan Moree
Four Corners Inspections
469-247-6955

Don’t start your business as of now. Business is very slow. Talk to an accountant or attorney to see what is best for you. Laws vary from state to state.

I started to use Legal Zoom and realized I would be providing them all the information that the Sec of States website was asking for. I ust used the forms (and instuctions) provided on the Sec of State’s website and the total cost was approx $125. Texas may be different though.

#3 answer: I would say a lot of them are LLCs.

There is no requirement for you to incorporate in the state you live in. It is easier, less expensive, and much better in terms of asset protection to incorporate in Wyoming.

Corporate taxes?:-k

The ones I know are either S corp’s or LLC’s.

I’m in TX as an LLC. It is unnecessary; however, I didn’t realize that at the time. The only liability you are limiting is if someone were to invest in your business. Then your LLC would protect them from your negligence. Nothing protects you from your own negligence. :slight_smile:

I did my own LLC with the TX Sec State and I believe it was about $300. They provide all of the forms you need.

IMHO, just form a DBA. You are still going to pass your expenses and profits through your personal 1040 form (think S corp). The Federal Govt (IRS) doesn’t recognize LLC so I just fill out a Sch C each year.

Hope that helps.
B

Where you from? :slight_smile:

Check the box Michael talked about.

You’re absolutely right Bruce, people think LLC and a well written inspection agreement is all you need to start an inspection business. B.S. I have 2 S Corps in Illinois and pay less in annual report filing fees than if I had 1 LLC.

Thanks for the information. I’m in Austin, Texas. Let me ask you about registering with the county; I plan on servicing Austin and San Antonio area, do I need to be registered if im DBA with every county in which I am doing business in?
I’m trying to dot all my i’s and cross all my t’s in setting my business up, every little bit helps. Thanks!

I’m fairly certain you only register in one county. It’s not too realistic to drive around to 254 county seats if you wanted to work state wide. However, just call the Travis county clerk and ask them.

You have to register in each county you wish to operate in, if you wish to try and “control” the name you are using. Additionally you can register the name with the state.

In the end though, it is rather futile since none of these agencies will actually ENFORCE the ownership of the name. So if and when someone decides to create the same name company or something very similar you are reduced to threats or civil legal action to fight them.

Cody, I filed my LLC on my own through the state of Texas in Sept. They called 2 days later and said I had to make my inspection company a PLLC since we are ‘licensed professionals’. I disagreed on the PLLC, but they said that was the way it was going to be.

I went the LLC (PLLC) route basically because I feel I can present myself more professionally as a registered business in the state and put it on my company checks and business cards, etc.

That’s an interesting response. The state certainly hasn’t taken that route in the past. I specifically asked them about PLLC and home inspectors and was told I could NOT register that way.