TREC fine regarding oven

Ok, by now you probably recognize that I have nothing to do on Thanksgiving evening. Just waiting for the oven to finish cooking the turkey. Hmmm, that reminds me of something.

TREC recently received a complaint that the inspector left the oven on. TREC fined the inspector $600.

I will request the Open Records and double check that number. Perhaps there is more to this hot topic. Stay cool. I will keep you posted at risk of putting my feet in the fire.

Here’s the TREC order: https://www.trec.texas.gov/apps/download.php?a=da-trec&f=170829_Armstrong_ORDA.pdf

Your judge and jury is also the recipient of your fine - what’s wrong with that?

This seems ridiculous to me. Other than the electricity wasted, I cannot see how the consumer was harmed in this situation. Sure, they have every right to be ticked off, but for Pete’s sake, ovens are made to be turned on and left on for hours. This was an electric range, so there’s not even a CO hazard.

I suppose the argument could be made that if an electric oven is left on it could, somehow, malfunction, spew sparks, and start a fire. Is the same not true of an electric heater? Wouldn’t it then be considered negligent to not set the thermostat so the heater could not come on? What about the plumbing system? If left pressurized, and if a leak developed, serious damage to the property could occur. Under the same logic, could the inspector be fined for not shutting off the water supply before leaving?

The respondent also had another strike against him for non-notification of name use. I wonder how much that played into it.

As for the oven issue, I think it’s possible that TREC was throwing the complainant a bone.

The administrative penalty does not go to the aggrieved. It goes into the TREC coffers. I suspect that they could find excuses to fine inspectors for all of your examples.

Looks like the inspector failed to register his business name too.

No, I understand that the “aggrieved” does not get any part of TREC’s fine receipts. I was just saying maybe they fined the inspector to give the aggrieved some sense that justice was being done.

TREC shows 94 complaints regarding all documented history. Perhaps they are not showing it all. Nonetheless, the complaint numbers have always been low.

LoL. I remember when they fined an inspector for oven temperature. I told them measuring temperatures exceeded the manufacturer recommendation. See the official KitchenAid method at this link.

How to evaluate if temperature calibration is required - KitchenAid Product Help

Do you guys, Texas inspectors, bring biscuits?

The Inspector Advisory Committee is working on adding that to the SOP! I understand that if they are not Pillsbury biscuits the penalty matrix fine will double! :wink:

The oven calibration check, I suspect is probably one of the most often misidentified defects in TREC reports. Considering that most inspectors check with an IR thermometer, they are measuring the back wall (inaccurately even at that) and not the interior air temp of the oven. Also considering that ovens do not have the ability to hold a temperature and are continually cycling on and off between the high and low temp limits and that TREC has been woefully non-specific about test methods and criteria for the 25°F allowable variance, leaving to the inspector to decide appropriate warm-up time, whether the measured temperature is supposed to be at a random point in time (who knows where it is in the on/off cycling between high and low limits), high limit, low limit, average vs. the target temperature… Perhaps all of the numbers are always supposed to be within the specified tolerance, though they rarely are.

Perhaps one day we should ask TREC for specific guidance on their oven calibration testing criteria.

BTW: I test with a big red thermocouple reader that I leave on the counter. If it’s still there I know I haven’t turned the oven off yet. I’ve paid enough to TREC for my license fees and that inspector recovery fund contribution. I don’t need to contribute an extra $600 oven penalty.

And hence the biscuit test. If they cook to a golden brown in the specified time then the oven must be good no?

Biscuit Test Instructions

Makes about as much sense as anything we see these days wouldn’t you think?

Perhaps we can get the Inspector Outlet to supply NIST certified biscuits along with a “CMI At Work” baking sheet and golden brown biscuit color comparison chart for our TREC oven calibration tests?

Don’t forget the microwave popcorn. If the home is vacant and laundry appliances present I can also get all my laundry done.

I’ll post a new topic on shortcuts

Popcorn is great … the odors alone make the home feel “welcome” and “lived in”. Don’t “zoids” do similar with their chocolate chip cookies during their open houses?

We could also just add an apple pie to the mix along with the biscuits.

The “zoids” would love us. :wink:

WARNING! I have been contacted and advised that I am now under investigation for an improper oven test procedure. I have been advised that I am required to use the 8 pack of Grands and not the 5 pack displayed in my previous post. An 8 pack of the mini Grands are acceptable substitute if the baking temperature is still 350 Degrees Fahrenheit. :shock:

Why does the home have to be vacant as long as they are not due back for a long enough period? :wink:

I think that’s an outstanding idea! Maybe Nick can put something together?

Yes but what about those that like other odors, err I mean scents, to feel lived in? If I know in advance I’ll eat lots of jalapeño peppers before the drive! :shock:

I’ll bring the butter and jam…

Fahrenheit? For 30 years I have found every oven to be about 175. Is that what the F and C mean on my thermostat? :slight_smile: