4 point ?

Doing a four point on a home built in 1968. The service entrance cable going to the house on the side yard is only 7 ft high, would you mention that as an issue?

Probably not !
That is the power company problem.

That’s a tough call.
Have you corresponded with your client or is this for a bank?
The correct answer is that the insurer wants to know any and all hazards or safety concerns on, around, or near the insured home. This would be a safety hazard that they need to be made aware of.
Now, what might I do? If you are working with/for the owner, you may consider not noting it on the 4pt report, making the owner fully aware of the hazard and that you are taking a huge risk by not noting it. You could do this conditional on it being repaired by the local power company.
Drive by in two weeks to see if its been corrected. If not, notify the insurer of a mistake on your report.
It really comes down to whether or not you want to help the homeowner. Some inspectors show and go, it is what it is. Others actually care and try to help people find win-win results.

It is not the power companies problem. it is up to the homeowner to have the proper weather head installed. It is a deficiency that is a safety hazard and needs to go on the report. If the insurance company overlooks it, then it is on them. If, in the meantime something happens and someone gets hurt and there is a report out there with your name on it, you can, and most likely will, be held liable. Being a nice guy never stopped anyone from being sued.

Of course it’s an issue!! It’s a SAFETY HAZARD. You’re being paid as a professional. It’s not up to you to say whose responsibility it is, it’s yours to identify that there IS a problem. CYA…

I have seen this issue many times - It has been our experience that where the power company can tighten or raise the wire - if the client calls the local power company and states that they can’t get insurance with the wire too low - the power company has been VERY responsive - I have seen them fix that issue while I was still there!!

Thank you.
I would inform the owner of the hazard.

Same here.
And, how exactly is it a safety hazard…as long as no one goes near it? :mrgreen:

Well I guess many electrical hazards aren’t really hazards if we could count on people not to be stupid…

What does it have to do with a 4-point ?
On what form does is require it ?
None ask about the service drop .
And that is what the OP asked.

It’s an electrical safety hazard, which is requested on the form. I don’t normally note minor service deficiencies, but a service drop within arms reach from the ground or deck would certainly qualify as a hazard. Severely deteriorated insulation on the conductors or missing insulators on the splices would also qualify IMO.

What he said - Tenant walks by 6 foot service drop with latter in tow…

Unsafe electrical!?

latter in tow

does anyone in this business know how to spell?:roll:

Why yes, I do. That means he is hauling a latter - that would be what is called a colloquialism. (You can look that one up in the dictionary!)

And walks into a clearly visible low hanging service drop…

Same tenant with a sixteen foot ladder…makes contact with the properly installed service drop…

Stupid is as stupid does…

And, at least here anyway, the service drop is the responsibility of FPL.

"Same tenant with a sixteen foot ladder…makes contact with the properly installed service drop…

Stupid is as stupid does…"

But the tenant can’t then sue you as the homeowner for having a dangerous condition on your property.

Service drop is the responsibility of the local power company for the most part here as well. And although we may be making mountains out of mole hills here - the status of litigation in this country is that we have to gear everything to the lowest common denominator.

The local service company will raise the line at the hint of insurance issues - and that is what I tell clients when it is too low - call TECO and tell them you can’t get insurance with the line like that - and TECO fixes in right away.

On the other hand, if the mast head is below the eaves and the drip loop is 6 foot above a deck - that may warrant a mention on a 4-point.

The OP question is…Would call it out on a 4 Point?
We all know it isn’t correct and needs to be addressed, but where on the form would you list it?
I would have a additional statement to the owner addressing this hazard just to CYA.

I would and have in the past, had the client call FPL while I was there. Never had a problem with them coming out. If I ever do, I’ll just say “OK, my son was still using the cable as a chin up bar anyway”.

I think some are over-thinking these inspections.

Comcast has yet to bury the cable they installed a month ago at our house. Should we write that up?

Agree!