4-Point Electrical Question

1971 House with original panel and what appears to be original wiring (copper), all boxes and devices recently replaced (2012)- Would you give a date of upgrade of 2012? Or say the system is original?

Was there a permit ?
Was the main panel replaced?

No, the panel is the original panel - the only thing that I can see is that the boxes and devices were changed at outlets and switches.

Original

Then comment on what was upgraded in additional comments section

I would put yes and list the items

If you put yes to upgraded, why do you need to list upgrades?

To keep the stupid a s s from coming back at you .

And so they know exactly what was upgraded, then they get to decide.

And I do not know what needs to be upgraded to their standards, does the wire need to be changed?

I do as John states. Let the underwriter make the call. I present the pictures and date or dates mentioned by owner and move on. The whole thing on what exactly constitutes an upgrade is just too vague and can vary from insurance company to company. Provide the pictures and make your notes and let the underwriter decide based on the information you’ve provided. Just my .02 worth.

Bert

Thanks guys - I happen to agree that the changing of the boxes and devices does constitute an update and have so noted -

And to answer the question from John Ritter the Citizens form does ask what updates were performed (my form does NOT, however, get into all that “who performed” the updates business).

What form do you use?

And to answer the question from John Ritter the Citizens form does ask what updates were performed (my form does NOT, however, get into all that “who performed” the updates business).
[/QUOTE]

Where does it ask any thing about updates? Citizens 4 point rev 9-2012 has only a comments section. it does not ask for upgrades. If there is a permit #, then the system has been upgraded on that date. But in most cases, rec, and switches are cosmetic.

Where does it ask any thing about updates? Citizens 4 point rev 9-2012 has only a comments section. it does not ask for upgrades. If there is a permit #, then the system has been upgraded on that date. But in most cases, rec, and switches are cosmetic.
[/QUOTE]

Receptacles and switches are cosmetic???

So changing the main panel is an update?

What about the wires?

What if I just changed all of the breakers?

What if I just add GFCIs and AFCIs?

What if I do not change the wires?

What if I do not change the conduits?

What if I use the old lights?

What if I change the panel but leave the ungrounded outlets and Aluminum wire?

What if a I pull a permit to replace the corroded underground conduit, now does that count?

How many check permits for four points including electrical and plumbing? WE DO!

Too many variables, just list updated yes or no and list what was done. It is not your call.

This is great stuff for the four point class I am writing. Seriously, for the Nachi Chapter meeting in Orlando(Aprilish) :slight_smile:

… and what if FPL came through the entire county and upgraded the meters? :smiley:

John I do pull records on all inspections, wind,for roof replacement, 4 point for any upgrade and home inspects for everything. I don’t list every single item that has been changed. If someone changes a GFCI or even adds one to the bath, with out proof It is not a system upgraded, it may just be a replacement. Prove to me it was done proper and correctly and I’ll report it.

So if you have no proof a GFCI is installed properly, then you do not report it?

All I can say is wow!

If some one adds a GFCI to a home that had none, by definition it is an upgrade. “The system has been upgraded to include GFCIs”

If someone removes the knob and tube but leaves the fuses, then the system has not been upgraded?

If you add grounds but do not have proof the panel was changed with a permit than the system has not been upgraded?

Why is it so hard to list some of the significant or not so significant upgrades? Why does the inspector get to decide what is good enough?

DO you report on every rec in a house? On a 4 point

I guess you don’t read very well, what is the difference this statement and yours?

The difference, as I read it was answering YES or NO.

Of course we do not report every “rec” in a house on a four point. At some point you have to make a decision, yes or no. You then have the opportunity to qualify it with what exactly was upgraded.
In my opinion the panel is not the only item that can be called an upgrade and change the answer from NO to YES. To imply that proof other than your inspection is required for to prove an upgrade is silly. Why not just give them the permit. To think that adding GFCIs to a home is not an upgrade is also silly.

The real question is, and we have all danced around it, what are the insurance companies looking for as an upgrade? Did you ever wonder why those pictures are required? You can either ask them or list what MAY be an upgrade and hope it is enough. If it is, the report goes through. If not, it comes back and they go to a different carrier or comply with the INSURANCE companies requests for additional upgrades.

This section of the 4-Point inspection must be completed with full details/descriptions if any of the
following are noted on the inspection:
Updates (provide full details of the types of
updates, date completed and by whom)

This is where it asks you to describe updates - If our report states that there are updates then we give some kind of description as to what was updated - As I said before though, we do not get into the who did it part - Thus far this has worked very well for us and have not had one kicked back for more information yet.