4 Point Insp Contract

**Does anybody know where to download a good 4 point contract?

Thanks,
Jonathan Wilhelm
HomeScout Inspections**

What the hell do you need a four point contract for?

Uhh,
I’m guessing I don’t? Unlike a regular home insp, do you not have any contract between you and client other than an invoice?

Thanks,
JW

use the pre inspection agreement. an inspection is an inspection whether its 4 points or 40 points.

This inspection is being performed for your insurance company on your behalf.
A Four Point Insurance Inspection is far less in scope than a standard home inspection and is not intended for any use other than assisting in the underwriting process.
This Four Point Insurance Inspection is a limited, visual survey of the heat/air conditioning,
roof, electrical, and plumbing systems.

I use this at the bottom of page 1 of the nachi 4 point template.
No need for signatures or anything else.

He’s a new inspector, probably just got his license by paying his $289 association fee and passing the ‘proctored test’.

I do the same as Ed

So what if he is a new inspector? We ALL were a new inspector at some time. If he is a new inspector, all the more reason for him to have a PIA for 4 points that limits his liability exposure with his client.

I agree with you on this one Steve. Personally, I don’t have a pre inspection contract for my 4-points but, don’t discourage anyone from doing so if it makes them feel better about it. It’s never a bad idea to limit your liability thats for sure.

Bert

On Four-Point & Wind Mitigation Inspections, who really is the client and to whom do home inspectors have a fiduciary responsibility to?

That is a good question Joe- and the answer is likely a grey area- unless of course an attorney is involved. I have always considered my client and fiduciary responsibility to be with the person who pays the bill for services. I have always used a pia for 4 pts and wind mits explaining that I am NOT employed by any insurance company and as such, cannot guarantee insurance coverage or discounts for anything.

I also consider the client to be the person paying. In this case the homeowner who needs to insure his or her property. That is the person that has hired me to perform the 4-point for their home. At least that’s how I see it. In all my cases where a 4-point has been ordered, it has been paid for by the homeowner. Similar to the wind mitigation inspections, it’s the homeowner who needs or wants the discounts on their premiums. They pay for it and they receive or not receive the discounts.

Bert

Every Home Inspector had his first day at some point. Appears to me that he is going about it the right way by asking for advice on the message board. The harm is done by those jumping into the industry without the desire or effort to go about it properly. – IMHO

1 Like

The person that pays you is always the client - That is who you provide fiduciary duties to. A HI also has responsibilities to complete the inspection and corresponding form under the guidelines/procedures/laws set forth, whatever the case may be. I can only see a client being afforded the right to sue for damages due to error in an inspection. ---- ie — Could OIR - Citizens
sue an inspector for improperly filling out an 1802 form - possibly - but more probable that they would only be able to attack the credibility of the License that gave the Inspector the right to complete the form in the first place.

Sounds a bit fishy. :-k

Why?

The 4 Point Inspection form provided by InterNACHI (
http://www.nachi.org/documents/4pointre.pdf [FONT=Verdana][size=2]) has the following words:[/size][/FONT]
**Note: A Four-Point Insurance Inspection is typically performed for a homeowner when ****requested by their insurance company to obtain a new insurance policy or renewing an **existing policy.
** ****A Four-Point Insurance Inspection is far less in scope than a standard home inspection. ****This Four-Point Insurance Inspection is a limited, visual survey of the heating/air **conditioning, roof, electrical, and plumbing systems.
A bit of nuance in the words, but the inspection is for and the property of the homeowner, unless the insurance agency pays. I don’t send any information to insurance companies, unless they are the paying client.
Of course, if you are sending it electronically, I would never use a word form, but convert it to a .pdf.

Four Points and Wind Mits are 2 different things. A homeowner will request a Wind Mit and send it to their insurance company to receive a discount.
With a Four Point, the homeowner receives no discount for getting the inspection.
The insurance company will require it as part of the underwriting process and will not issue insurance without it.
The insurance company sets the standards for the inspection, decides who can perform them and uses it to determine if they will insure a homeowner.
We are performing Four Points for the insurance company at the request of the homeowner.
Are responsibility is to both parties to do an accurate inspection.

As far as who gets the report, I always email PDF directly to the agent. The homeowner gets a copy emailed also.

[FONT=Arial Narrow]“Hi Ed and any others concerned
We have actually had a couple of attorneys take a first crack at using our Four Point as a way to shoot down a Hme Inspection performed by another inspector.
This is tried and true …We have this at the bottom of our four point.
“This inspection is a limited visual verification only of the age and current condition of the Roof, Heat, Plumbing, and Electrical basic components.
This Inspector does not make any determination or opinion or approve or disapprove any dwelling for insurability. No guarantee or warranty is implied or offered. Use of this report for any purpose other than to obtain Home Owners Insurance will render this report and its contents null and void. This report is not transferable and cannot be passed onto heirs or others regardless of representation.
By payment of the inspection fee, the purchaser of this report becomes the sole owner of this report and agrees to these terms.”
So if the Realtor orders it - and pays for it - the buyer has no recourse - etc…

[/FONT]

Joe
If you state in the header or footer of your Four Point on your report and invoice – “Invoice is very important” - the person who pays for the inspection - **owns **the inspection – it is as defensible as Chinese Drywall. (Only the original owner of a Chinese drywall home has legal advantage – not the third party buyer)
The original owner of the report is the only one who has recourse.
If the Realtor arranges and pays for the inspection – even if acting in the interest of the buyer (as many are doing today to beef up closings) – the buyer of the home has no recourse against you. Even if you put the buyers name on the report itself.(But you must note : Ordered by and paid for by Sally Sue, Realtor)

Also – A service provided for free – has no value………
Home Inspection w/ free Four Point – removes all valid legal repercussion of the Four Point. And the Home Inspection contract should – if its any good -protect you when you’re right.