Advice for hiring a new inspector

I’m in the process of hiring a part time inspector. The person just got his home inspector liscense and is looking for work on his days off from the fire department. I was just looking to use him for my insurance inspections, 4 points and wind mits. I just had a few questions.

1. Would you hire through the company or 1099?
  2. Who would you use for worker comp.
  3. If he uses his own vehicle what is liability?
  4. Do you pay per job or a hourly wage?

Not sure if I’m missing anything here. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Jeff Iosa
Iosa Home Inspections

Legally the easiest way is to use a 3rd party job shop, he becomes an employee of theirs and you pay them a lump sum instead of the employee… Then they take care of all the paperwork, 1040 & workers comp for a small fee on top of his hourly cost. Good luck.

Jeffrey Iosa, HI8686](https://www.nachi.org/forum/members/43732-jiosa/)

Please go to top left Control Panel and put in your information .

There I added some more info for you. Anything else I can do for you?

Following

they should be treated as an independent contractor, carry their own license and insurance and be made aware of all the risks. I have mine fill out a legal document that basically says they are aware of the risks, they waive any liability against you and the company, if they use my tools and damage or loose any of them, they are responsible and they will not compete.
50/50 split compensation, 50% to the company and 50% to the inspector with bonus if they market and bring in new clients. That can be adjusted based on performance and time.