Another Wind Mit Discussion

How do you answer question 3 roof deck attachment in this scenario?

A Gable house from 1960 with one access hatch in the master room. You see tongue and grove from the hatch and verify nails. There is a Flat roof in the rear big enough to give the home a flat roof rating but there is no attic access and you have know idea when it was built.

I am also interested in your answers with the same scenario but the rear flat roof is not big enough to be called a flat roof and the house is marked as a non-hip.

Thanks for taking the time to give me you opinions on this as I have encountered it many times and I am interested in how others handle it.

Come on…

I am not going to criticise or anything. I need you Pro’s.
You know who you are. The guys with all the experience.

I am interested in how you guys handle the situation. I know all of you guys doing wind mits have come across this.

If you do not want to post what you do here I totally understand but I would appreciate any emails on the question and I will keep all information totally confidential and delete it after reading it.

Heck you can even send it anonymously.

Prety Please if you take Bill York’s class ask him this and share it with us all.
If you have taken the course and he said anything about it already please share.

I would refer the inspection to someone that knew what he was doing.

LOL.

MSFH program stated you could not mark what you could not see. Therefor it would be t&g. The same happens on a wrap/block with a frame/flat addition. The form states weakest attachment though.

Roof covering is the only item based on Predominate item.

But I thought contractors were all knowing?:stuck_out_tongue:

you need to verify what is under the flat roof. ie rda and connection. otherwise-unknown

When there are different roof shapes like a pitched and flat… I assume they are built different and approach them as two different inspections and report the weakest mitigation features.

I wood certainly in both instances mark the weakest attachment method that you can detect. Your dilemma is for sure the fact that tongue and groove is probably a C-mark and your flat could be plywood nailed with 6d nails though. Good luck.

That is what I assume they normally are but there is almost never a way to check the flat roof from below. Sometimes I can tell what the deck is but on very few am ever able to determine the nailing pattern.

So am I understanding you correct. If “YOU” cannot tell on both then you mark unknown? Or do you go by what John said the old MSFH program did and go by what you can tell. If I go only on what I can verify almost everyone with a flat patio roof would get unknown. Decisions decisions decisions.

Thanks to all who have helped . Please if anyone takes Bill’s course ask him and let me know what he says about it.

No, I never assume its the same…They are different shape and construction type, why would I assume they are built with same materials… I always do my best to verify and report. This includes many attic crawls and soffit vent removals. Also, I dont think they have the same flat roof situation up north as we do here.

Nice situational question Mike. Here’s the answer:

You have attic access. Make your selection based upon what you can observe.

Don’t assume that the roof deck is different in an area you can’t see.

Don’t take away a credit on an assumption. Don’t give a credit on on an assumption.

VERIFY what can be VERIFIED on the VERIFICATION form.

Jay

Thanks for you opinion. I am always trying to get more accurate and started thinking how the roofs seem to be constructed and re-roofed at different times based on the life of the covering and how it is a usually a problem identifying how a flat roof is constructed. I had a client yesterday that re-did the gable portion of his roof and not the Flat deck and he put SWR and had proof he did on the gable portion but I know it was not on the flat area. I noted om the report that the gable portion had SWR and the flat area did not. I bet the underwriters will love that. It is just another example of how sorry the current form is.

I hear you. But don’t stress these details. Verify what you can. No more no less. Take your pictures to defend your inspection. If the guy has paper work, submit it with your pictures.

By the way, It would not be uncommon for the addition/Flat deck as part of your original question to have been T&G as well. Especially if it was an older addition/Flat deck.

I have seen them as well, it seems that when the original t&g has been fixed a lot or replaced in most places they often do the flat area with plywood. I am not really stressed about it I was just wondering what many of the guys here do. :smiley:

Too bad you didn’t attend class yeaterday. :wink:

Just curious what did they tell you about it in the class. Thanks in advance for your help.

unkno0wn or plans, or demo, or letter from builder/roofer specifying specs. You cant see/photo- you dont know/cant assume…

Here is meekers scenario with pictures. Flat roof is not tongue in groove, how do you verify attachment-c, based on assumption?

inside.jpg

tig.jpg

flst.jpg

tig-flat.jpg