Apprenticing, Field Training, Mentoring, Ride Alongs, Etc

I’m new to NACHI and to the home inspection business as a whole but I’ve been lurking the forums and following along on different topics for a while now. I’ve just signed up for pre-licensing class and hope to be able to complete the state required training and get a license soon.

My recent employment background is not construction related but I have experience in investigating, interpreting and applying laws, regulations, and standards in my previous job. I’ve also been lucky enough to be able to retire at age 48. (I did do roofing, various construction labor jobs, and major apartment remodeling work before my last job but that was many years ago…)

My question is this - Once I’ve completed the required training, applied for and passed FL licensing, purchased tools, insurance and other needed equipment, what are the chances of actually landing a job? I don’t intend to start up my own company or business in the near future and would rather work with someone else to gain the experience to do the best job I can.

Do most people here work on their own or just with family members or are there any companies big enough or busy enough to take on another inspector? I’ve seen the InterNACHI no-compete clause template and wonder if anyone actually offers on the job training that way. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Jon Hinman

Jon

There are a few companies in Brevard that have more that one inspector. mysafehome, Tee Pee inspections, Honor, Happy Homes, and O’Brian. There may be more, but not that I know of. Some inspectors are busy and some are slow, it is a matter of how they run their business. You can check with those companies to see if any are hiring, but business varies and people usually stay in a position if they are happy with it, not leaving many opportunities. If there is anyway I can help please do not hesitate to ask.

Jon I’m new in the business so take this for what it’s worth. Chances are no one is going to hire you. I don’t know many people who go into this planning on working for someone else. I am 24 I started this business 4 months ago and I am getti like 3 inspections a month. Some people here might laugh but I’m proud of it. If I can do it so can you. I would not do any ride alongs. Every home inspector has bad habits and some can be complacent to certain issues. Everything you need to know about getting your first inspection and to keep them coming can be found here at NACHI.

Ride alongs are the best way to learn. Find someone to go with even if you have to travel a great distance. There is plenty to learn that is not on Nachi or that is difficult to understand or follow. You can always ignore the bad, if there is any. Sometimes you can learn best by learning what not to do. Giving someone advice to not do it is crazy. I have gone on ride alongs after years in business and learned something.

Follow John’s advice, If possible do a couple of ride alongs. After years in business I have learned alot from others like John S and Dennis B.

I agree!

Find the best inspector you can and offer to share the fee with them. I have done this on numerous occasions and it’s a blessing to have them along. Contrary to popular belief I don’t know everything. Gerry Beaumont was the first, lucky to have him in the Clearwater area…Joe Burkeson has went on a few…Brad Toye…love the contractors perspective.

Join your local Nachi org. This is the best advice Gerry gave me.

Ride alongs are great when you can get them but sharing your fee will get you to your desired destination.

Well shoot if an inspector was going to share a fee with me than I would probably do it too. I asked two inspectors and they wanted to charge me and then my mentor from AHIT explained to me that I should not do them anyway.

Thanks to all for the help. I’ll definitely look into joining a local organization here. Hopefully I’ll be able to find someone to assist me in continuing to learn the trade once I complete classes. After reading a lot of the older posts and different topics I was beginning to wonder what the chances were for a new inspector to get started in the business. Comments like the ones below, that were taken out of different threads here, were making me rethink my decision to get licensed.

• most of the existing companies are one man shops, don’t need another inspector and don’t want to train the competition…

• because a lack of after class apprenticing produces such a continual crop of Piss-Poor Home Inspectors…

• what I learned in the class was only a small part of what you need to complete a real inspection…

• home Inspectors are a dime a dozen around here, yes we do have many great ole timers as well, but way more hacks…
  • a license isn’t a credential. It is proof of that you received permission to operate…

• agents who harm their clients by failing to warn them that a state license means nearly nothing…

• we do not need anymore of today’s Wal-mart greeters becoming home inspections overnight…

Jon,

All above is true, and your answer to this question is very relavent to your (potential) success:

**Why **do you wish to enter the Home Inspection Profession?

You need to be very honest with your answer, or you will be doomed to failure. You must know where you wish to be with all this to have any chance in heck of getting there. If every fibre of your being is not in it for the long haul, don’t even bother beginning the process. Is your family also committed to this ventiure? Believe me, it can be as difficult for them as for you. Not trying to burst your bubble, but rather showing you a piece of the reality of it all.

Be committed 100%

Join a local

Research-- Research —Research and take all the classes you can here on NACHI

Ride along as much as anyone will have you

and ------**Marketing–Marketing–Marketing **

Been committed for 19 years now …Good Luck !

Phil from White House inspections may be looking for help

I’ve always heard that 3 years is the magic number for mild success. If you are still doing them after 3 years, you’ll probably make it. Most fail in the first year, maybe two. You have to basically eat, sleep, and breath inspections. Into your 3rd year you should be well established enough to keep going. Your web site should be on the first page (more than once) for your service areas and all of the Realtors know of you (whether they use you or not) and you have the experience to be professional at your job. It’s very tough, but it can be done with shear determination. Good Luck!

Thank you again for all the replies. I guess I shouldn’t be getting too far ahead of myself yet, I still need to complete the initial training, online courses, and then the licensing.

In my past job I spent a good deal of time as an academy instructor and field training officer so I recognize the value of keeping up to date on training and new regulations. I was also VP of my labor organization and appreciate the worth of that type of connection. In 26 years I spent a lot of time in one training class or another in order to increase my knowledge and stay ahead of the game. I just want to be able to go into this new endeavor knowing as much as I can beforehand. - Thanks