Boy have I been told!

I have classified the attached as 6 d nails for the roof attachment - The client’s son-in-law (an unlicensed home inspector by the way) that I am giving the industry a bad name - He can clearly identify the 8d nails that are seen above the strap in the first picture, and I should offer an apology and amend my report!

I sure wish my eyesight and, dare I say, X-Ray vision worked as good as his.

He then had the roofer call me and state that I should change the report because he re-nailed the roof deck - he promises (this for a roof that had a re-start notification in 2007, but didn’t get finaled until today - The county inspector apparently tooks his word and he can’t understand why I wouldn’t!

014.JPG

012.JPG

Looks like a 6 by the ruler. Down by clip it does “look” and I do mean appear like a 8D by width and experience only. I cannot prove it.

It’s an 8d if the plywood decking is an inch thick lol

Looks like those short skinny 8d nails…you know the ones

The nail by your ruler looks old as evidenced by the rust. The ones at the end, where the decking isn’t in contact with the truss, could be an 8 and* may* have been part of the re-nailing.
After enlarging the picture, I would probably say that it is an 8. The next question is, were the nail heads on the strap corroded away? It looks like, when you enlarge the picture, that the strap has moved from its original position.

Good eyes. Try proving the nail part with a photo.

I know it isn’t funny but this reminds me of the 2000 Presidential election with the hanging chads, dimpled chads, dangling chads, etc. What the hell is in the water here in FL? The bureaucrats here can take the simplest thing and turn it into such a convoluted mess it resembles Kudzo vines when they get through “fixing it”. All the new and exciting things they have inacted for wind mitigation makes the inspectors’ job basically picking fly s**t out of pepper. Just this kind of stupid nitpicking bs is why I do not do WM inspections and refuse to since they started “correcting” the problem. I just knew it was going to turn into a cluster and I was right. I get emails every week from someone trying to get me to go to their training someplace on the other side of the State so I too can become one of their “high paid” inspectors in doing reinspections and sink hole inspections. This thing is now much worse than it was when the MySafeFlorida was running this rodeo. You guys are gonna eventually just have to have a class action lawsuit to get this mess resolved. Good luck, hope you prevail in the end. Local price for a WM is around $75. There is no way in hell I would do what they want you guys to do for $75. I would rather sell pencils in the downtown park with the other winos.

Dude you left out an important photo, if we have a nail every 6" and a scattering of other nails it was renailed. So where is the spacing photo? I can tell you for a fact it is easy not to miss much when renailing a deck that has nails in it already.

That was on my mind as well. Occasionally, the roofers actually do hit the trusses all the time and install the decking properly, as in, no missed nails. At which time, you will need the re-nailing affidavit from the roofer as proof that it was re-nailed.

I suspect that you are going to find out the roof decking was re-nailed and you will be wrong, at which point, everything else will be considered wrong in everyone elses eyes. You may want to go back and look a little harder…for appearance purposes anyway.

Agreed - but if no nails are missed, I cannot photograph the length therefore I can’t prove it was done - I never said it wasn’t- I know, I’ll do what the homeowner said - “The roofer has it on his invoice, so he must have done it.” Now, where do I write that…

Well…You could use your metal detector to its full potential???

any ideas.

Ok I cannot wait any longer:)

You take a picture of the renailing affidavit and the roofers invoice, or the homeowner can and then send that in.
The issue is that with the form, you are supposed to look for a missed nail, code violation and improper installation according to the APA, and then, photograph it.

This is an example of what could be done with a metal detector :slight_smile:

I have “seen” a few better examples but it would be hard to find them. I have never heard “yet” of people having trouble with it.

Better examples come from hip roof areas where the shank can be seen as well. So I have been told.

Any comments on that as being an acceptable photo when nothing better can be found?

Photos like described may be able to help clients who actually hired good roofers that did their job properly.

Some day I will post a better example. I will just take a picture of the next one that could work if needed. I always show the defected against code “shiner” if they are visible because that has unfortunately become the accepted practice.

To bad I have to show something negative to get what folks deserve.

You would think an experienced profesionals word of what is there would be enough but some where along the way folks got lost.

8d.JPG

That is totally unacceptable and does not work.

What do you suggest when no shiners are visible?

We use the metal detector to determine spacing why is it not sufficient to determine depth?

How are the two measurements any different?

If the detector is good for telling us the spacing why on earth can it not determine depth? Please do tell.

If you are using the proper tool(Zircon MT6) you could actually be marking the spaces for the nail spacing. It is not sensitive enough to tell you the length of a nail. It has been tested by several people(my self included). I actually brought a prop to our first chapter meeting that proved it. It was made by Mike, one of our inspectors. After several tests we and other found out you can not determine the nail length accurately.

So how do you help a customer who has the proper nailing pattern and it was done properly and there are no shiners.

Please do not tell me you always find on.

I know of several instances of scumbags using stock photos and such but sometimes I do not find them myself.

Feel free to quote the official accuracy test that determines it can handle spacing but not depth.

There is no difference in the two measurements. One goes horizontal one goes vertical. If it is accurate for one then it must be accurate for both or maybe.

It just is not accurate?

Sounds like you’ve drunk the kool aid to me :slight_smile:

Mike you have know idea what you are talking about. One tells if something is there the other tells you how long it is within 1/2 of an inch. It is just not THAT accurate.

I WILL tell you again, I always find a shiner or a side spliter when it has been re-nailed. If a home was re-roofed after Oct 1st 2007 in my area, I will look until it is found. That is when they HAD to re-nail.

There have been two homes that I could not find evidence of re-nailing after Oct. 1st 2007. The spacing was not close enough on one. I looked at the hip trusses and also and found no evidence. We contacted the roofers and they swore they re-nailed but refused to be responsible if we removed the roofing materials in an area of our choosing and did not find the nails. I offered to pay them if we did find the nails. Conclusion, they did not re-nail. Until I have proof I can not tell you it is there.

What is even more funny the tool is not Made to find nails.

Re-bar and nails are a little different in my opinion.

I am going to start looking for a better more accurate device.

If it picks up the beginning of metal when used horizontally why would it function differently when used vertically?

What about when it is used above head to detect re-bar in a Ceiling / roof ? Is that OK? Do you have to pick a specific direction for it to be accurate when used over head.