Charter Membership Drive for new chapter

I asked Nick to form a new chapter: Florida Home Energy Survey Chapter

I am looking for five additional charter members to form a for-profit group to advertise home energy survey in the central FL area (Orange, Osceola, Seminole, and Volusia counties. Others may be considered based upon advertising saturation overlay.

Initial fee would be a commitment of $1k in the first year. All monies would be spent on advertising the home energy survey program. All members must complete all required Internachi education courses to qualify. Members will commit to the HES program and commit to additional training as appropriate to maintain membership. All monies will be spent on advertising with the goal of creating a joint, cohesive market presence in the home energy survey field. Charter members will develop future enrollee guidelines, policies, procedures and all charter members will share equally on the board.

Registration is open until June 22nd.

If you are interested in joining this chapter and are willing to commit to advertising, please email wchandler@TheBuildingInspector.net.

Members are restricted to Internachi membership only.

I understand that I have been conscripted already William. Lets get together again soon. After all, you owe me lunch and I owe you breakfast.

purely legal at the time; one motion, one second and one aye

I have two other interested parties at present

Just for information purposes…Florida Public Utilities offers FREE energy audits / inspections…this could affect your client base willingness to call you before they call the utility companies.

http://www.fpuc.com/energy_checkup.html

Just for information purposes…Florida Public Utilities offers FREE energy audits / inspections…this could affect your client base willingness to call you before they call the utility companies.

this is geared to gas customers. electric providers have basically stopped doing them and try to prequalify those they may do. cities were actually doing them with thermal cameras few years back but they have stopped as well.

there is a good market for energy surveys if done correctly. I know a company in my area that is doing over $1 mil/yr with 4 people and they are basically doing what Internachi/DOE is testing. No blower door and no HERS and they do not do HI’s, or radon, or mold, or WDO, or WM, or RC, or 4-Pt’s, or water sampling,…half of the homes (not that many) I have surveyed for energy needed a stucco inspection/recommended repairs/re-inspection alone; over half needed insulation/re-inspection; many needed improved ventilation; many needed hvac repair/upgrades; many need roofs; many need window upgrade/repair, etc., etc. I always recommend a re-inspection following repairs.

A home energy survey not only helps the client understand what to do, it gives the survey professional the opportunity to provide other services needed by the client. I’ve been doing these type surveys for years without the benefit of the new Internachi program. In the homes I have recommended the added service, I only got maybe 5% at a $75 add-on fee, and slightly better at $55 add-on fee. But, I did not have a nice presentation to provide. Since showing the Internachi report, I have been able to add this service to about 20% of the customers I recommend it to.

Over the past 3 years, I’ve been hired to do about 30 specific energy surveys (meaning the client called/hired me just for this). In almost all of these, I have been able to add additional services. BTW, a stand alone survey has an avg price of about $350 with my highest at $575.

The purpose of the proposed charter is to find a few, like minded, HI’s who are serious about this service and see the benefit to their firm and the client in the central FL area.

Cool! Then by all means go for it. Around here they balk at even having a home inspection or what the cheapest guy they can find. The local electric power and gas utilities still do free audits and inspections and really do a good job. If the market in your area is flush with cash laden customers good for you guys.

Energy surveys are freeto every home owner with access to the internet.

Energy surveys are freeto every home owner with access to the internet.

Now, who tells them what it means and what they should do?

As for the results of the online survey, anyone not understanding “what it means” can consult a nearby third-grader. The reports are all very basic, just like the one produced by the identical InterNACHI calculator.

As for what they “should do”, the next step is to seek the services of A certified energy professional who can perform the necessary diagnostic testing and interpret the results.