Chinese Drywall Sample Analysis

I know that most people are offering visual drywall inspections, but for anyone offering Chinese drywall inspection where a client asks for sample analysis, my company is now offering analysis of those samples.

Each sample is analyzed using XRF and FTIR analysis.  The CPSC has identified the use of these two technologies in tandem to be a reliable method for identifying defective drywall.  XRF utilizes X-ray technology to analyze each sample for strontium and FTIR utilizes infrared light to measure calcium carbonate.  These two independent markers are indicative of Chinese drywall.   

This analysis is similar to the options offered by AssuredBio and other lab facilities. Because we test only drywall, whereas many labs use the equipment for the testing of many different materials, Certified Chinese Drywall Testing, LLC is able to offer the testing at a drastically reduced rate. In addition, the analysis of drywall samples does not necessitate a lab facility. Because Certified Chinese Drywall Testing, LLC does not utilize the equipment for any measurements that would require a laboratory, the overhead costs associated with maintaining such a facility are eliminated.

Better yet, we only need a 1/4 diameter sample. This sample can be taken from behind switch plates/outlet plates in many homes to conceal the sampled area. Obviously, I would still obtain permission prior to sampling a home that is for sale, but this is another great way to expand on the service you are already offering.

As a result, Certified Chinese Drywall Testing, LLC is able to offer analysis of a sample of drywall on both FTIR and XRF for less than ½ the cost of our competitors. The fees below are exclusive to NACHI members.

The analysis fees are*:

1-5 samples: $100 each compare to $329 each
6-10 samples: $90 each compare to $279 each
11-16 samples: $80 each compare to $279 each
16+ samples: $70 each compare to $279 each

Typical turnaround time for analysis results is 7-10 days and rush processing is available.

Contact me at joseph@certified-chinese-drywall-testing.com for Chain of Custody form or with any questions.

Joe, that seems great how many samples do you check per typical home. Do we mail them to you? Do you have a website? Are you findings guaranteed?

Our insurable/guaranteed protocol dictates between 75 and 100 samples per home. We have had some larger homes that involved more than 200 samples.

If our trained field techs collect the samples, they also document the process with a detailed set of sample records, chain of custody forms, and digital pictures. Then, the samples are analyzed and the results of this test are insurable and guaranteed.

When we have clients who take samples themselves, then obviously we can only test what we are sent and cannot guarantee WHERE the samples came from. We can, of course, guarantee (just like a lab) that our results are accurate to within the sensitivity assigned (believe it or not, each sample will have a different sensitivity).

Shoot me an email and I will send over the 3rd party Chain of Custody form. It has an address for our analysis facility, directions, etc.

sorry, our website is www.certified-chinese-drywall-testing.com

[quote=“jweissglass, post:3, topic:48229”]

Our insurable/guaranteed protocol dictates between 75 and 100 samples per home. We have had some larger homes that involved more than 200 samples.

If our trained field techs collect the samples, they also document the process with a detailed set of sample records, chain of custody forms, and digital pictures. Then, the samples are analyzed and the results of this test are insurable and guaranteed.

When we have clients who take samples themselves, then obviously we can only test what we are sent and cannot guarantee WHERE the samples came from. We can, of course, guarantee (just like a lab) that our results are accurate to within the sensitivity assigned (believe it or not, each sample will have a different sensitivity).

You can send the info to the e-mail address in my signature below. Do your guys work in South Florida? Please send or post the cost to have your guys do it verses the cost of us collecting the samples.

We have 15 field techs in Florida – including South Florida.

Our base fee for our techs coming out is $1,000 for a full inspection (75-100 samples). Most of our clients are people who are considering a purchase as opposed to those who own the home. We find that most of our clients who own the home prefer to take the samples themselves or have an inspector sample for them.

100 samples comes out to $7000. Do you really have any customers that are spending that kind of money for testing?

William,

He stated…

They are taking 75-100 samples for the one thousand dollar fee. I’m not sure how you’re coming up with a 7000 dollar figure.

I’m glad this drywall never reached our area.

Read post 1 and 3. I noticed this yesterday, thought it was pretty expensive.

William,
Don’t forget to add the inspection fee of $1000 for a grand total of $8000 for a base line survey and labs
don’t see many of those being sold in this area.

Seems like another great tool

Sorry for the confusion. Our inspection fee of $1000 includes the sampling and analysis of 75-100 samples.

Once you get to the level of an individual sending 15 samples or more, it makes more sense for our techs to come out.

That being said, I imagine that many inspectors will have several clients during a week or two period of time who each want 5 samples analyzed. The pricing for the inspector has to do only with what is sent to us at once. If you have 5 clients, each want 5 samples, you would get the 16+ pricing for the 25 samples that are sent to us.

We don’t have the field resources to provide that level of service to clients who are looking for just a few samples and I see this as a great opportunity for us as a company, inspectors, and home owners looking for a reasonable and reliable alternative.

Happy to answer any questions.

A company in this area out of Ft. Myers is performing on site XRF testing which is running about $500 for a 2000 sq. ft. house. I’m waiting to see a copy of their report.

On a separate note, Has anyone found any indications of chinese drywall in homes that did not have a 410 refrigerant system?

there is actually a segment of defective drywall classified by the CPSC as “blend” drywall. these samples have lower levels of strontium (as tested by XRF) but elevated levels of calcium carbonate (as measured by FTIR). We have seen dozens of samples that would have passed under XRF only. Also, using the XRF to analyze through the face of the drywall runs counter to the guidance issued by the CPSC that specifically calls for core sampling. Whomever this is has no insurance speaking to the validity of the protocol, I can tell you that.

The reason that so many will tout XRF as a single mode system is because it means they only have to buy one piece of equipment.

I honestly have not paid attention to the refrigerant systems. Why do you ask?

OK - now I am really confused. 100 samples for $1000.00. How is that possible. That comes to $10.00 per sample.

When we take 100 samples in one home, we only write one report. If we take 5 samples from 20 homes (or do the analysis for another inspector) we right 20 reports, which takes much longer.

Offering analysis outside of our protocol isn’t designed to replace our bread and butter, but supplement things.

In addition, if our techs sample the home, we are branding our company within the industry.

Well, I’m just correlating, or attempting to. I’ve never found any indications of CD in homes with R-22 systems, regardless of the year installed. I have found “Chinese Drywall” in homes only with 410 refrigerant, and in homes, one in particular that has been tested and has no chinese drywall, but has blackened copper wiring throughout the home and has had the evap coil replaced after only two years.

I know a couple of HVAC techs. who state that 410 “eats copper”.

It may at least need to be checked if only to rule it out.