DBPR Mold LICENSE

2 year biology? DBPR says cntractors that are CILB members can still do mold inspections without mold license. With NACHI being a CILB member and us being IAC2 certified isnt there some way we can do them? IAC2 cert. class does state Home Inspectors are best qualified, its not like we are doing lab work or remidiation. Any clarification would be appreciated.

You can already do mold inspections for anything under 10 square feet of mold.

But then if the air quality comes back very high and the entire house needs mitigated, then you have just violated the law because it is over 10 sq feet.

Or when you see the mold its only 2 sq feet, but when the cut into the wall it becomes 25 square feet. Then a mold remediation company will come in, retest and use a licensed mold assessor who will then throw you under the bus for operating outside the scope of your license.

What about mold you missed such as humidity bloom ( do you even know what that is?) is found on numerous items of furniture and because you missed it does not make it excusable.

So the mold assessors who spend thousands in insurance, licensing, training and equipment are going to be looking for any little reason to SLAM you and turn you in.

Be sure to check the ducts within the attic and the junction points. I can over 10 Sq feet of mold on many of those.

Or you can do what Nick says and he will give you 6 months free membership when you tell him he gave you bogus infomation…or spoke without actually knowing what the state actually considers what 10 sq feet of mold constitutes and comes up with an SOP.

The 10 square foot thing isn’t my words. Nor is it a DBPR rule. It is the actual state law.

Russell, are you saying that there is never a situation where the state law applies?

So when he gets called to court, is “Nick said I could” a valid defense?

468.8411 Definitions.–As used in this part, the term: (1) “Department” means the Department of Business and Professional Regulation. (2) “Mold” means an organism of the class fungi that causes disintegration of organic matter and produces spores, and includes any spores, hyphae, and mycotoxins produced by mold. (3) “Mold assessment” means a process performed by a mold assessor that includes the physical sampling and detailed evaluation of data obtained from a building history and inspection to formulate an initial hypothesis about the origin, identity, location, and extent of amplification of mold growth of greater than 10 square feet. (4) “Mold assessor” means any person who performs or directly supervises a mold assessment. (5) “Mold remediation” means the removal, cleaning, sanitizing, demolition, or other treatment, including preventive activities, of mold or mold-contaminated matter of greater than 10 square feet that was not purposely grown at that location; however, such removal, cleaning, sanitizing, demolition, or other treatment, including preventive activities, may not be work that requires a license under chapter 489 unless performed by a person who is licensed under that chapter or the work complies with that chapter. (6) “Mold remediator” means any person who performs mold remediation. A mold remediator may not perform any work that requires a license under chapter 489 unless the mold remediator is also licensed under that chapter or complies with that chapter. History.–s. 3, ch. 2007-235. 1Note.–Effective July 1, 2010.

I got that - So Now a Home Inspector does an air quality test and it comes up with 50,000 spores of stachybotrys. The typical remediation would be to do numerous things one of them is to clean and wipe down the entire house. This means the entire house is contaminated, meaning the mold is over 10 sq feet of the residence. So now your in violation of the law…

I am telling you Nick…its alot different in Florida than Colorado. You once stated most mold problems are under 10 square feet.

I have one simple question…how many mold tests have you completed in Florida to give that information to people?

No you are not.

No chance.

A home inspection is a visible inspection and thus the spirit of the reference to “10 square feet” is visible. Not post lab testing or post wall cutting.

So then you will pay for all people who get dragged into court? You seemed to have skirted the How many Mold Inspections have you actually done in Florida. How many Home Inspections? How many mold situations? How many ANYTHINGS have you done in Florida? You seem to be speaking as an authority on something you have not done. Kinda funny eh?

You speak of LAWS and how they are interpretted when no SOP has been written. What 10 square feet is defined as. If I dig hard enough I can find a total of 10 square feet of visual mold on almost ANY house.

So once again, because you read something, interpretted it YOURSELF and came to conclusions you have become the authority…such arrogance can cause people alot of heartache.

According to the LAW above…where does it say visual?

You say a HOME INSPECTION is a visible inspection…we are talking a MOLD INSPECTION…and the “spirit of the reference”…is that the spirit of Nick interpretation?

Once again, are you wrong? From what I read you are wrong. You have no idea what you are talking about. Your ill guideance will cost one of these inspectors a ton an anguish they do not need.

Please point me to the exact areas where it says Home Inspectors can perform mold testing less than 10 sq feet. I missed it (really).

No, we’d only help members, not “all people.”

I’m quite comfortable stating that both InterNACHI and PRO-LAB would very definitely come to the legal rescue of any member who was “dragged into court” for doing a mold test without an assessors license where the mold exceeded 10 square feet if 23 of the 25 square feet was inside a wall. Our members aren’t in violation of the law for failing to have X-Ray vision and I would welcome a frivolous case where we could counter sue for treble damages.

We wouldn’t have to be “dragged into court”… we’d gladly come running.

BS…Please do not send Pro Lab in court here they will get laughed out of the building!

And you will come to help with your 0% experience of Florida, have done zero mold inspections in Florida.

Nick I do realize your a legend in your own mind, but you will get hammered here in court. What are you going to be the EXPERT witness on something you know nothing about?

Once again you speak of your interpretation. I prefer to follow the law and not Nicks view on things. Nick where is the under 10 sq foot a home inspector can inspect and test? Missed that…I mean you speak of LAW.

What is considered testing?

What is considered visual?

What are the guidelines as far as destructive? Moving insulation 1 inch?

What is considered visual mold? How can we tell what is VISUAL mold without testing?

Do you think your people who do testing and it comes back high and its over ten square feet are not going to get turned in my licensed people? Once, again. I can find over 10 square feet of mold on almsot any house in Florida.

Is it 10 combined feet? Continuos feet? What if the inspector didn’t know it was mold? IS that ok? IS it ten feet total, in air conditioned space. Are attic and garages included. What if a 400lb guy does an inspection and doesn’t enter the attic, does that count or can’t access a crawl space. Do the home inspector rules intermingle with the mold assessors rules?

What is a mold inspection SOP? IS there a nationally accepted one or a state one?

Nick your arrogance has no boundries.

You’re arguing the case… but it would never get to court. Arrogantly put: we’d drag it out forever and see who runs out of money first.

What you fail to see, other inspectors will not take them to COURT, they will keep reporting them to the DBPR.

It will have nothing to do with getting sued, it will have to do with losing a license and for most that worse!

If the DBPR takes away a member’s license for failing to have the X-Ray vision necessary to see inside your hypothetical wall, I’ll quit InterNACHI and join the circus as the clown in the center ring (not much different than running InterNACHI some days ;-))

Never happen.

We will see…you have no idea how the mold assessors are banning together. They will ruthlessly report ANYONE doing ANYTHING outside the scope. I am telling you, you have no idea…

Bring it on. I’m bored and rich.

How’s that for arrogance? :smiley:

ITS NOT ME…But, trust me…

I feel too strong to war with mortals. Bring me giants.

I am sure I will refer to this thread in about a year…

Anyone hear anything about the standard of practice for mold assessors yet?

We have six people doing mold assesment without a license and 5 doing mold remediation without a license (and advertising it) in collier and Lee counties. Those are just the ones that show up on everyones radar most every week.
Cheap prices get everyone’s attention.

Time to head to Valrico.
Don’t ask me where it is but that’s where my next job is.
Somewhere near Tampa, only 2 hours and 34 mintues they tell me.

Have a good day.

They started with this as a baseline: http://iac2.org/sop We’ll see how far they drift from it.