Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Florida Home Inspectors This is a place for Florida InterNACHI inspectors to discuss Florida home inspection topics, wind mitigation inspections and 4-point inspections. Become a home inspector in Florida

Old 7/7/13, 4:22 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Default Can/ or should detached garages be included in lineal footage calculations for roof

Can/ or should detached garages be included in lineal footage calculations for roof types. If so I would like an idea where this approached is justified-listed on an approved course etc. I am doing battle with an underwriter.
thanks,
Rob
Need a home inspection in Hawaii? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Hawaii certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/7/13, 4:27 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Default Re: Can/ or should detached garages be included in lineal footage calculations for ro

I never include the detached garage in the roof shape calculation. It has to be completely detached though. If it has a covered walkway to the garage, and the roof is structurally attached, then all would be included with the main house roof.
Old 7/7/13, 4:34 PM

Default Re: Can/ or should detached garages be included in lineal footage calculations for ro

What if you wanted to-any reason you can or cannot?
Old 7/7/13, 4:36 PM

BTW the garage in question is not attached at all
Old 7/7/13, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstewart2 View Post
What if you wanted to-any reason you can or cannot?
You can't just include the garage if it will make the outcome beneficial to the policyholder - that's fraud. Usually the detached garage will not be included in the main policy, only as an endorsement.
Old 7/7/13, 4:56 PM

Do you remember seeing this stipulation in a course? I am looking for evidence not customs. Its only fraud if it is indeed wrong to do.
Old 7/7/13, 4:58 PM

I will attempt to determine if the garage is included in the main policy but in the meantime this is a pretty straightforward question. I am surprised it is not spelled out somewhere in internetville or at least where I can find.
Old 7/7/13, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I will attempt to determine if the garage is included in the main policy but in the meantime this is a pretty straightforward question. I am surprised it is not spelled out somewhere in internetville or at least where I can find.
And I gave you a straight forward answer...don't include it. All courses teach that there is only one roof perimeter to determine the roof shape. Each building has its own roof perimeter and you cannot combine the roof shapes on one 1802 form. The detached garage would have its own 1802 completed if needed.
Old 7/7/13, 5:19 PM

Thanks for your time Bradley-seems logical.
Old 7/7/13, 5:22 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Quote:
BTW the garage in question is not attached at all
If it is not attached at all, it ins't part of the structure.
Old 7/7/13, 5:26 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btoye View Post
You can't just include the garage if it will make the outcome beneficial to the policyholder - that's fraud. Usually the detached garage will not be included in the main policy, only as an endorsement.
It is only fraud if the additional lineal footage benefits the homeowner. If it benefits the insurance company, it is not considered fraud.

Steve Taylor
Taylor Inspection Services, Inc.
Atlantic Beach Florida 32233
904-247-6700
www.taylorinspectionservices.com
Old 7/7/13, 5:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor7 View Post
It is only fraud if the additional lineal footage benefits the homeowner. If it benefits the insurance company, it is not considered fraud.
The policyholder is the homeowner or applicant. I said that...
Old 7/7/13, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Huh...what?

If it benefits the insurance company it is fraudulent as it shouldn't be included in either scenario, right? What is good for the goose................
Need a home inspection in Hawaii? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Hawaii certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 7/7/13, 6:00 PM
InterNACHI Member

Apparently, a bad attempt a humor on my part while trying to demonstrate the absurdity of the insurance scheme we have in Florida. Unfortunately, I would speculate, there are many insurance companies that would totally support my previous post.

Steve Taylor
Taylor Inspection Services, Inc.
Atlantic Beach Florida 32233
904-247-6700
www.taylorinspectionservices.com
Old 7/7/13, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Apparently, a bad attempt a humor on my part while trying to demonstrate the absurdity of the insurance scheme we have in Florida. Unfortunately, I would speculate, there are many insurance companies that would totally support my previous post.
You need to add the smiley......................
I know what you meant...........