Dutch Hip Roof Discounts and Wind Resistance

Everything I read on the web says that a “Dutch Hip” style roof is just as wind resistant as a regular hip roof with the added benefit of better ventilation to the attic area. But, does it qualify for the same insurance discounts as a regular hip roof? If not, why not? – From what I read, It should!

The horizontal measurement of each Dutch gable are non-hip, which count against the total perimeter. Most of the time it is a close call for a Dutch Hip roof. This needs to be properly assessed for roof shape on the 1802.

They, “O.I.R. and Insurance Company” Mostly will not care what you think. Just fill out the form as per form wording or you invite trouble.

For the best tips and such I suggest Dennis Bonners class as he has a ton of FIELD experience and knows what most insurance companies NEED.

Good Luck.

Not trying to be a d*ck but you should update your profile with location and your website has limited function.

I have gave up telling people to update their info. No one hardley else seems to care so I quite ******** but it only seems common sense to me :slight_smile:

That website info you gave him sure will save his rear if he sees it :slight_smile:

I forgot who but one day someone let me know my site was down and had been and I had no idea but sure noticed the drop in calls.

brad is right , if the gable parts are > 10% of total roof system perimeter, then in counts as other on the 1802. As far as wind resistance you can contact and engineer

I am encountering the same problem with a house that has a hip roof with three small gable sections coming out of the hip on three sides of the house. It annoys me when the advice is to “fill out the form” and do what the government wants. If the Dutch hip is stronger than a gable roof, the insurance companies need to change their classification to match the logic. Going along with a failed system doesn’t fix the system. The only way to get things changed is to question it and speak to those who have the ability to change the way it is classified.

Which may be an insurance underwriter’s forum. Certainly not a home inspector’s forum. We report what we see., only… :man_shrugging:

The Wind Mitigation program has been around since 2007, and the wheels of change grind slowly. It has changed (slightly) over time, but the form is written and promulgated by an industry not completely in tune with construction protocols, but rather with insurance standards.

You’re free to try to contact anyone involved in the program and try to get things changed.

2 Likes