Educational Purposes

Just for discussion --what would you call this roof to wall connection, keep in mind those are sheet metal screws not nails------have fun :slight_smile:

IMG_0070.JPG

IMG_0071.JPG

I would mark other and describe what was there. If you mark toe nail with metal connector that doesn’t meet the requirements of others there will be no discount. That is why I would mark other and let the underwriter decide.

I would do what Greg said as well but can almost guarantee the underwriter will give NO discount.

I would mark other and try to find out what it was, possibly from the plans if available, contact the manufacturer and get any and all information to accurately describe what was there.

The bigger question is, Where do you find this stuff!!! :slight_smile:

Good God what was the rafter material ? Looks awful thin then scabbed out with 2x4 blocks for the fascia ??

I agree, Other. The real question is whether those field manufactured trusses would hold up. The RTW looks fine to me, but the rest…?

Eric,

Its a residential steel frame home. They are sprinkled around area of SWFL I just thought it was thought provoking to discuss the roof to wall connection. ( kinda like the photo attached )

It is my belief that this connection appears to be made up in field by using a piece of channel and cutting it and bending up the vertical flaps that tech screw to the truss itself on both sides ( 2 ea. screws per side). If you look closely at the piece of metal it looks like it was cut with a pair of shears and then bent up, screwed to the truss and the face of the top plate on both the interior and exterior face of the wall channel (4 ea, screws per side) .

Keep the opinions coming !

Here is some other truss to wall details I found for roof to wall connections in steel framing with some up lift calculations, pretty impressive

IMG.jpg

IMG_0158.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

There is a neighborhood over near me(Hillsborough Blvd.and the turnpike for those that are local), that use that exact framing method. All of the attic trusses were metal like your other picture.
The houses were sold as “termite-proof” homes. :wink:

It is always nice to see something different! There is plenty out there! :slight_smile:

You are dead on with the RTW…looks like heavy guage track, which is good, and the 4 screws in the truss are actually stronger than nails. the problem will be getting it thru underwriting. Maybe I would try clip and see what happens (both sides needed).

I would check structural.

Other!
Sheet metal screws are fine here as it looks like 16 Ga. metal Studs and that is the connection detail. The vertical (unistrut?) looks a little strange.
Other- and submit pic, let them figure it out would be the best call as mentioned previously. IMO

I am with Reese

If it’s in channel with 2 nails on one side and 2 on the other I would mark clips. Why let the underwriter decide. The pics clearly show a roof to wall attachment that isn’t toenailed.

Since that is from 2006, I would suspect it is at least as strong as a single wrap, possibly a double wrap. I would contact the manufacturer and ask them what their rating is.

If you have it, I would be more than happy to contact them and add their reply to my database.

The photos clearly show that this is NOT a factory manufactured connector. As Fred pointed out, it is field made out of stud track…no uplift data available. It does however meet the definition of a clip for the 1802…no uplift data needed, and probably a lot stronger than some of the older common clips that I have seen fastened with T-nails.

I am sure there was some code in place when it was built and some way to find out what it is rated for. We do want to be accurate, right? :wink:

I would call it clip and include all documentation

I made the decision to mark it as clip. My reasoning was the verbiage on the form. The only thing different is that the screws are not nails but the amount of fasteners equals what the form asks for. I agree that this is not perfect but as mentioned in the thread by others this appears to me to be stronger that some clips I have seen. I guess the underwriter will make the call no matter what you mark it.
The home was built in 2001 or just prior to the March 1, 2002 code change, in Lee County Fl. I will keep you all posted on any repercussions from the underwriter.

I would rate it as clip. If the screws were bolts, I’d go with structural.