Flat roof section wind mit

I have a house with a flat roof of 180 sq ft. and the entire roof is 2500 sq ft. My interpretation is that it is more than 100sq ft of flat roof however is less than 10% of entire roof but should be marked flat roof because it’s over 100 sq ft. Anyone who can help me figure this part of the form out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Bill

That is the way I am currently interpreting it also. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. :mrgreen:

Is the flat section over a porch or carport and attached to the wall or to the facia?

If so, it does not count.

If it counts, then calculate/estimate the roof square footage. The form says: 100 sq ft or 10 % of entire roof, WHICHEVER IS GREATER.

Under your example, the flat section can measure up to 250 square feet without being considered a flat roof. (10% of 2500 sq ft roof, is 250 sq. ft.)

Based upon the numbers you have provided, it is NOT a flat roof.

Jay, hello. the form says 100 or 10% whichever is greater. It only lets you check the flat roof option for 10% or 100 square feet. If the house mentioned was a hip roof except for the flat portion would you give the house a hip roof credit?

or

1   /ɔr; unstressed ər/ http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show Spelled[awr; unstressed er] http://sp.dictionary.com/dictstatic/g/d/dictionary_questionbutton_default.gif Show IPA
–conjunction 1. (used to connect words, phrases, or clauses representing alternatives): *books or magazines; to be or not to be. *

1. (used to connect alternative terms for the same thing): *the Hawaiian, or Sandwich, Islands. *

2. (used in correlation): *either … or; or … or; whether … or. *

3. (used to correct or rephrase what was previously said): *His autobiography, or rather memoirs, will soon be ready for publication. *

4. otherwise; or else: *Be here on time, or we’ll leave without you. *

5. Logic. the connective used in disjunction.

Bruce,
Please explain what you are saying by giving us the defination of OR.

It is connected to the masonry wall it appears and is over a lanai slab with a screen enclosure. It is very confusing as it can be read simply as if it’s over 100 sq ft it is a flat. It’s too bad there is no one to officially interpret. Is there a source you have Jay that gives you great confidence that I can consider it a hip roof. Thanks.

That is the problem no one including the OIR will give us definite answers on anything. I have contacted the oir and anyone else I could think of to get answers to questions I come up with in the field and there is no one to give us the answers. I try to answer as I interpret it in the field and even put notes on the form when things do not have a place on the form. I think you have a good plan, ask as many other inspectors as you can to see how they interpret it. Good luck.

That depends.

We have 3 choices for Roof Geometry:
-HIP
-NON HIP (Flat roof do NOT count)
-FLAT

To be HIP the other roof shape can not exceed 10% of the total building** PERIMETER.**
The Square footage does not apply. Flat roof do NOT count as other roof shapes.

To be a FLAT roof, the total roof AREA is used to factor the determination. (Carports and patios attached to facia and walls are excluded.)

In answer to your question:

Lets agree that the roof in question is, 2500 sq ft (AREA) roof was of hip shape, with a 180 sq ft flat deck portion structurally attached to the roof.

First, is it HIP or NON HIP?
-Questimate the outer PERIMETER of the other roof shapes and the PERIMETER of the total roof. If any other roof shape, besides flat, is greater than 10% of the total roof PERIMETER. The roof looses its Hip status. In this case there is no other roof shape than hip and flat. Flat does not count.

Second, is it a flat roof?
-Figure the roof and flat decks total sq footage (AREA). Then calculate 10% of the total area of all roof shapes. If the Flat portion excedes 10% or in this case, 250 sq ft, it would be rated flat.

The FLAT roof cannot lower the rating to Non Hip. The FLAT deck does not exceed the greater of 100 sq ft or 10% of the total roof area (250).

Therefore, this is a** HIP roof**.

Hope this helps.

Yes, the form itself:

"5. Roof Geometry: What is the roof shape(s)? (Poches and carports that are attached only to the facia and wall of the host structure and not structurally attached to the main roof system are not considered in the roof determination) "

I am completely confident.

Am I the ONLY one reading the form? LOL

Yea. I do appreciate your explanation. I will go with the hip. Thanks to you and Mike for your insight. Bill

Anytime William. Keep asking questions, its the only way we all learn.

Not only that, as the inspectors working through the new form we are helping to develope a ‘standard within the industry’.

Maybe it would be better to call it a ‘standard interpetation within the industry’.

Good luck.

Bye the way, just cover you a s s and photo the junction were the wall and Flat meet. Point it out and include it in your photo attachment with something like:

Flat roof is NOT structural attached to host roof structure.
Or
Roof is Hip. Flat deck represents less than 10% of total Roof area.

CYA

The way I see it is, if its structurally connected and > 100 sq ft then its flat. if the flat roof is less than 100 sq ft, but greater than 10% of total roof, then its flat. Your pretty much screwed if you have a flat roof!

Can we see pictures?

Based on your data I would not mark flat.

If it is connected to a wall, it does not count

Does anyone have any idea on how we can get the OIR to start an answer program. How about they hire someone to be the top judge or decision maker. I believe way to much is left to each individual inspectors interpretation. I think we should have some black and white answers in in simple wording that is easy for all to understand. At the very least they should have a question phone number or e-mail address that gives us answers in 24 hrs or so. If you are from the OIR feel free to contact me anytime I will be glad to take the job.

I believe the insurance co. want it this way and put so much liability on us so we will default to the safe option. I actually would ask in the case of the flat/hip. Which option would actually save the customer more money. I think the flat would be less likely to blow off then the hip. Bill

I will try to post a picture later to get your thoughts. I would also like to know how you guys handle the pictures. Right now I keep them on my computer and e-mail them to the ins. upon request. Do you guys print out hard copy pics. Thanks. Bill