Florida home inspector's responsibilitites

For consideration: Does the current HI licensing bill require all the standards of practice about to required be followed during the actions of an HI during the performance of a four point inspection? I want opinions about that and what if anything the organizations in the FHIC are intending to do about it if they are. First off it is unlikely that any of the currently approved forms accepted by citizens from ASHI, INACHI, FABI or any other organization will suffice as they don’t meet the minimum standard.

I don’t see anything specific in the statutes that delineates a four point from a home inspection.:shock:

One of the biggest insurance companies is working on a new four point form.

Good to know, not the answer, fully, to the question. What do you think John? No need to answer now, AM I OUT TO LUNCH (on this) or is it a reality that all the standards will apply?

Four point inspections are up to the individual inspector and should not fall under and home inspector guidelines.

They are not a home inspection by Florida law defination and never should be.

The insurance companies who wish to make up their own crap should be the ones paying for the inspections not the homeowner.

That would work out great for the many KEPT INSPECTORS who are right in the insurance guys pockets.

I feel 4 points should be paid by the insurance companies,

It is their investment so they should pay for the reasearch.

Well I agree basically with your conclusion but consider the statutes approved by law and come back and tell me how they are not the same. Please research and tell me I’m wrong and prove it.

Sorry not for me to do.

Just my opinion. That is all.

Most opinions around here seem to be considered fact anyhow. Poof just get it into an approved course and it is so.

I would say no…except wait a minute…

The background check was to protect the consumer(homeowner).

The 300,000 liab. is to protect the consumer(homeowner)…that would make sense.

Having proven basic knowledge would protect the consumer(homeowner). The consumer would not be at the mercy of an inspector writing things up that are not even defective.

As far as the SOP, you are performing the 4 point for the insurance company at the homeowners request.
The inspector and Insurance company have agreed what is to be inspected and reported on.
The homeowner has no say in what and how it is reported.

I intend to leave this alone now and take it"s natural procession forward. I am not suggesting I have a correct answer I really don’t know. I am concerned that the consumer might end up paying a lot more than neccessary for a four point that takes 1and1/2 hours due to the SOP requirements.

Brian, I brought that same argument up awhile back and everyone said I was wrong. I still believe that it shouldn’t matter if I’m inspecting the electrical, plumbing, roof or any other of the home’s systems, it is all considered an inspection of the home. A home is made up of multiple systems and whether you inspecting one or all of them makes no difference. That’s just my own opinion though and I would suspect many more inspectors may feel the same.

Bert

I would like to see a list of all insurance companies requirements(likes and dislikes) but I do not think all would turn them over. I am a firm believer that the inspection process in Florida is out of hand.

We have little difficulty following insurance company requirements because we do lots of inspections and it is a big part of our business. The single operator has a harder time, they have less of a connection to the insurance agent and therefor have more difficulties. The four point, wind mit and roof certification are not the only inspections done. Some send people for pictures and other information, like dogs, fences and trampolines. Other insurance companies require a full home inspection.

As inspectors we should work to capture as much of the market as possible. This means reporting things that we would not normally report at times.

I have one that sends me to verify electric and water services being turned on. Three pictures. One of the address on the home, the other of the electrical and the third of the water running. Takes me 5 minutes and I’m out. Doesn’t pay much but, I do them when I’m traveling between inspections so it works out fine. Nice gas money.

Bert

That is exactly what I believe and is why I have stated many times that anyone who performs a wind mit, 4-point, roof cert, or home inspection, should be required to have a home inspection license.

Since no one is listening to us Bert, lets go fishing!:stuck_out_tongue:

Unlike some states that say 2 or more systems is an home inspection, Florida has more requirements than just the 4 systems in a 4 point, and can bet that some of the contractor will point that out.
Had the state used the verbage 2 or more systems I think it would have help our position as a whole…your mileage may vary:D

In the draft copy of the DBPR Home inspector licensing program booklet just produced in March this year Home inspector is defined as ; A person hired to examine any system or component of a building in accordance with these standards of practice. Home inspection is defined as: The process by which a home inspector visually examines the readily accessible systems and components of a home which describes those systems and components in accordance with these standards of practice.

My question remains does this all mean that we have to follow the standard of practice for the home inspection when performing Insurance inspections? If you don’t think so why? Home for lunch going back out check back later.

Brian
The insurance company and the inspector have decided what will be in the inspection and report. That is the OUT.

© Excluding systems and components from the inspection if agreed upon by the
inspector and client.
Rulemaking Authority 468.8325, FS. Law Implemented 468.8323, 468.832(1)(j),FS.

I understand we need not perform the entire inspection. My question is does the inspection of the individual items of a four point require all the protocols and reporting required by the state SOP for home inspections? What says it does not?

How would you formulate an agreement or report that excluded the SOP requirements for inspection and reporting? It just doesn’t seem to me that this was addressed with respect to the statutes. I don’t have any real problem with the SOP, my concern is that at some point in the future all the provisions of the law may blindside our proffession by saying we aren’t following the SOP with respect to these inspections and the reports we issue based on them.

I hear ya!
For now just make sure the homeowner understands 110% that it is not an inspection for their benefit.
“THIS INSPECTION IS BEING CONDUCTED FOR YOUR INSURANCE CO.ON YOUR BEHALF.
IT IS INTENDED FOR INSURANCE UNDERWRITING PURPOSES ONLY.
and then the rest of the nachi 4 point wording”

As far as signed agreements, the individual component line items etc I do not know

I would have the INS. Co. agree to the form I was going to use such as the Nachi four point. If they agree to the form then they agree to what your going to inspect and what information they’ll receive as a result. Isn’t that the reasoning behind the SOP and being able to exclude items by agreement?

It is real simple, as painful as this sounds, have the OiR approve one form. :stuck_out_tongue:

Why do you all beg to be regulated?

It is foolish and does no good for YOU.

You do not have to answer it just amazes me.
Get rid of it all and decide for yourselves how to run your businesses.