Former CMI Prez Michael Rowan loses $60 million dollar contract with Citizens.

http://www.miamiherald.com/business/insurance/story/1445831.html

Ouch.

Citizens rethinks decision on no-bid contract

I think most everyone knows about my fight with MSFH, this issue and the drive-by re-inspections from the insurance companies hired guns the former WCE’s. Nick can attest to my activism, from letter writing campaigns, arguments in Tallahassee, TV News participation, writing to politicians, and trying to have all of us join forces.

At the end read a copy my letter to Alex Sink and others on the ongoing issue of the insurance companies taking work away from us and abuses to our citizens. Please everyone help by writing to you State Rep on this issue, obviously voicing out works. It has been proven On Dec 18, 2008 and on Dec 21, 2009 both times a NEW OIR-B1-1802 form was going to be adopted by the 1st of January the following year and it hasn’t happened because with the truth and with numbers we can be heard. The $60 million dollar fiasco didn’t happen–again and again.

See the News cast on this link: http://www.wsvn.com/features/articles/carmelcase/MI140957/

Thursday, January 28, 2010
Florida Department of Financial Services
200 East Gaines Street
Tallahassee**, FL 32399-0300**

Attn: Alex Sink, Chief Financial Officer State of Florida

**Re: Homeowners Insurance Company’s acting maliciously **

I write to you today to bring awareness of the latest acts that homeowner insurance companies in Florida are perpetrating on Floridians and against legal licensed professional businesses. I have recently learned from a licensed engineering firm in South Florida that one company in particular (Security First) is informing insurance agents that they need to have Uniform Wind Mitigation Inspections performed by one of two inspection companies (Ameripro or Skytech) coincidentally former WCE’s with the My Safe Florida Home Program.

It appears that the mechanics of coercion employed is to advise agents that no matter whom perform the inspection, Security First will still have either Ameripro or Skytech inspect the property anyways. In this particular instance I was informed about a homeowner had their home inspected and an OIR-B1-1802 form was filled out and signed off by a licensed professional engineer, furthermore the inspection company is qualified and licensed as an engineering firm in Florida. I am told that Security First assigned Ameripro to supposedly perform another inspection almost immediately after binding the policy, Ameripro informed Security First that they had not been able to make contact with the homeowner and therefore could not gain access to the property, Security First then stripped the homeowner of their Mitigation credits.

How is this legal? And I ask how is this ethical? Security First is driving business to two firms exclusively when Florida Law clearly indicates that a list of licensed professional that are allowed and qualified to perform and complete this inspection report. Does this mean that insurance companies can now take it upon themselves contrary to Florida Law and reject reports submitted by licensed professionals? In this case an Engineering firm and professional engineer.

Everyday more and more insurance companies are acting in this manner; it is plainly a conflict of interest. On Tuesday January 12, 2010 Ms. Carmel Cafiero investigational reporter with WSVN news aired a special report called Insurance Headaches dealing with the now famous re-inspections. During the broadcast Maikel Alfonso, Bankers Insurance stated** “They are only accepting inspections by a company they recommend.” **To whichTammy Torres, Division of Consumer Services responded, that’s not right Homeowners can choose any licensed professional to do their inspection, **“Under Florida law, you are not required to use a specific insurance or a specific inspection company.” **

Obviously homeowners by law are not required to use a specific inspection company it seems though that the insurance companies are strong arming the homeowners to do just that. This behavior is not only unethical but is directly affecting the very lives and economy of the professionals that are being discriminated upon, the same professional that pay into our economy for their continuing education, licensing, and insurance. Those professionals whose very livelihood depends on inspections and employ Floridians in their small businesses. The insurance companies are is short discriminating licensed professional, assisting in creating an industry monopoly, causing monetary damages to small businesses and the citizens they employ without any regards to the negative impact that is trickling down into our frail economy.

I call upon the Florida office of insurance regulations as the regulatory body of the insurance industry to investigate these acts and put a stop to it. I also call upon the Division of Consumer Services to protect the interest of the citizens of Florida as homeowners and professionals. It is unfair, unjust and it is not the example we want to give other States as the way business is done in Florida.

Sincerely,

Jose’ F. Uz, Ph.D., CRC, CPO, CHI, CHC, M-NFPA, NACHI, FHA INSP., InterNachi Cert. Fellow ABI
President
Caribbean ***Realty*Support Services, Inc.
Toll Free 866-261-2242
Serving 15 Florida Counties

Cc:** Kevin McCarty, Commissioner OIR **Kevin.McCarty@floir.com
**Michael Milnes, Deputy Director Property and Casualty OIR **Michael.Milnes@floir.com
**Stephen C. Fredickson, Assistant General Council OIR **Steve.Fredrickson@floir.com
**Tammy Torres, Division of Consumer Services **Tami.Torres@myfloridacfo.com
**Sean Michael Shaw Insurance Consumer Advocate **insuranceconsumeradvocate@fldfs.com
Carmel Cafiero, Reporter WSVN ccafiero@wsvn.com

You just proved that it is better to fight than to cave-in. Good job! More members need to get some balls around here. Sad but true.

Many thanks to Jose Uz for representing InterNACHI at these meetings and speaking.