To Help Clarify Florida Home Inspectors Inspecting and Sampling Mold

According to a declaratory statement by G. W. Harrell, Florida DBPR Director, on March 28, 2013, a Florida-licensed home inspector:

• “may inspect, sample, and identify visible mold, assuming the visible mold discovered during the home inspection is less 10 square feet in area,” and
  • “is allowed to advertise mold testing, sampling, and inspections within the scope of licensure as a home inspector, so long as he/she does not use the terms “certified mold assessor,” “registered mold assessor,” “licensed mold assessor,” “mold assessor,” “professional mold assessor,” or any combination thereof stating or implying licensure as a mold assessor.”
  • Become a Certified Mold Inspector.
  • Read the statement as a PDF download.

Licensed mold assessors and mold remediators can attain free Continuing Education by taking InterNACHI’s free online Florida Mold Assessor & Remediator CE Course" for 14 CE hours. For details, visit nachi.org/florida-licensed-mold-inspector-assessor-remediator

Cool!
So this the gospel as of now?

Nice.

-Carl

So, “mold inspector” would be legal?

1. Based upon the foregoing, Petitioner may inspect,
    sample, and identify visible mold, assuming the visible mold
    discovered during the home inspection is less than 10 square
    feet in area.
  2. Based upon the foregoing, Petitioner, as a licensed
    home inspector, may advertise mold testing, sampling, and
    inspections, so long as he does not use the terms “certified
    mold assessor,” “registered mold assessor,” “licensed mold
    assessor,” ''mold assessor," “professional mold assessor,” or any
    combination thereof stating or implying licensure as a mold
    assessor.
    ORDERED that 1) Petitioner may inspect, sample, and
    identify visible mold, assuming the visible mold discovered
    during the home inspection is less than 10 square feet in area,
    and 2) Petitioner is allowed to advertise mold testing,
    sampling, and inspections within the scope of licensure as a
    home inspector, so long so long as he does not use the terms
    “certified mold assessor,” “registered mold assessor,” “licensed
    mold assessor,” “mold assessor,” “professional mold assessor,”
    or any combination thereof stating or implying licensure as a
    mold assessor.

So, can HI’s do stand alone mold inspections or advertise stand alone mold inspections? Can there be a “Home Inspection” when no real estate transaction is taking place?

Whoo Hoo sign me up…

Not :slight_smile: The insurance alone is a deal killer.

Here we go again

MOLD IS GOLD

Ok so here is the $1,000,000 question…

Are you covered with insurance?

What type are you inquiring about?

Mold E&O

Consider this: Your hired for a home inspection and client wants a mold inspection and testing also. Open the first pocket door in the home and mold growth is on both sides of door. Is that more than 10 square feet? Do you have to stop your mold inspection? Call in your licensed mold inspector to finish the job.

Even better, can you do an air quality sample when you see no mold? According to the law. Nope.

Your not insured, your not licensed (mold professional) and your gonna get stuck one day and its gonna be HUGE.

So if you perform an air quality sample and it comes back with 20,000 spores of Stachybotrys, what do you do? You can’t say clean the house. You have to say, call a mold professional. I would then be mad, that I paid you to perform a mold test only for it to be useless.

Do whatever your career can handle.

Ummm, prolly wouldn’t be entering that home if 20K of that stuff showed up on the air sample. :mrgreen:

You working in Fl now?

Just bored I guess?

I will be doing Sean’s mold, WDOs and radon. LOL

Come on by you you really mean the guys you fought for the right to be insta pros so you could have someone cheap to sign and do stuff for ya, right?

Actually I was against licensing.

I have agreed to help my whole crew get a license in anything they want.

GC, WDO, Mold, Radon and HI. In fact I pay for most of it. I always want to see people do all that want to. While in Indianapolis I told several inspectors how to get licensed in areas that they wanted to be licensed(mold/WDO).

Professional competition does not scare me, a hack that thinks he knows everything on the other hand is terrible for our profession.

Don’t hate yourself…

Some folks round here seem to like you.

You know… all the sheep.

You mean business professionals, not the hacks and loud mouths.

You should look up the word professional, it would do you some good. Especially if you tried to act like one.