Hey Nick

Nick,

is there any chance you could have one of your lawyers look at the statement below and give us their opinion on how the form states we should measure the roof? I ammost concerned with what the sentence in red means and what we are attesting to when we mark it. Should roof shape that are not part of the perimeter be considered by defination of the form?

Pretty Please. :smiley:

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]5.
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Roof Geometry: [/size][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]What is the roof shape? (Do not consider roofs of porches or carports that are attached only to the fascia or wall of[/size][/FONT]

[size=2][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]the host structure over unenclosed space in the determination of roof perimeter or roof area for roof geometry classification).
[/FONT][/size]������

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]A. ***Hip Roof Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter.***[/size][/FONT]

[size=2][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]Total length of non-hip features: ______ feet; Total roof system perimeter: _______ feet
[/FONT][/size]������

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]B. Flat Roof Roof on a building with 5 or more units where at least 90% of the main roof area has a roof slope of[/size][/FONT]

[size=2][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]less than 2:12. Roof area with slope less than 2:12 ________ sq ft; Total roof area __________sq ft
[/FONT][/size]������

[FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]C. Other Roof Any roof that does not qualify as either (A) or (B) above.[/size][/FONT]
[size=2][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT]6. [/FONT][/size][FONT=Times New Roman][size=2]Secondary Water Resistance (SWR): [/size][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2](standard underlayments or hot-mopped felts [/size][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]do not qualify[/size][/FONT][/size][/FONT][FONT=TimesNewRomanPSMT][size=2]
[/size][/FONT]

For nearly ALL questions (PREFERRED method of contact):
FastReply@nachi.org

Do NOT attempt to call InterNACHI until you have first emailed InterNACHI at fastreply@nachi.org Please include “InterNACHI” in the subject line. Staff does not monitor the message board so posting a request on the message board will not result in action by staff.

Contact InterNACHI by mail:

From Contact InterNACHI - Int’l Association of Certified Home Inspectors (InterNACHI) http://www.nachi.org/contact.htm#ixzz1lBrUtX4b

I know but I think this is a answer we all in Florida need to hear.

If you know any lawyers Roy I would love their opinion as well.

Mike, I am thinking Lawyers in Colorado can’t help with Florida wind mitigation… we can all agree it is a BEAST…

I am not saying anything about John or his class. I think what he does for fellow inspectors is great.

I want to know what the words on the form mean. It is like a contract. We state we did it a specific way and the way is on the form.

It does not appear that the classes are taught according to what is on the form.

If we come to conculsions based on what is taught by many but not what is on the form then we are wrong.

Is it not the law that the insurance companies must accept our conculsion if we follow the definations on the form. They should not be able to accept some things and come to other conculsions based on how they wish it was written they have to follow what is written.

I know you weren’t saying anything about John… I know you aren’t attacking… I am just saying that if you have serious concerns… a Colorado attorney can’t help you…

InterNACHI is EXTREMELY GENEROUS… but I can guarantee you NICK’S Attorney’s would be i’ll equipped to answer questions.

I do not see why any attorney versed in contract law could not answer this or at least define exactly what is said and what it means.

In other words if we went to court what would be defined as following the directions of the form.

What was meant and what is says are not always the same. The law usually will go by intent, not by written word. If there is no contradiction or the intent is disputed it will fall back to the word.

If that helps any.

Who was ever taken to court on a wind mit, name one.

How about all those that do not have to take any training?

How can they be wrong if they follow what is written on the form?

Intent, how the heck do you prove what the intent is? You cannot even get an answer on who wrote the form.

I would love to hear some attorneys opinion on the form and what we are signing our names to.

You listen at the meetings and read the studies.

That is nothing but opinions.
Tell me what study says a strap coming out of concrete with 1 nail on each side bent over is the same as toenail?
Not friggin possible.

Maybe the lawsuit squishing guy Joe could give his opinion to help his fellow members out. His last name escapes me at the moment.

[quote=“mmeeker, post:1, topic:66385”]

"Nick,

is there any chance you could have one of your lawyers look at the statement below and give us their opinion on how the form states we should measure the roof? I ammost concerned with what the sentence in red means and what we are attesting to when we mark it. Should roof shape that are not part of the perimeter be considered by defination of the form?"

“Should roof shape that are not part of the perimeter be considered by defination of the form?”

In my humble opinion,
Yes.

For example: If a house has a Hip roof except for a portion in the center of the building, likely were several sections converge, and there is a small flat deck. That flat deck perimeter would need to be considered.
Every linear feet of it’s perimeter would be considered as an Other roof shape and part of the allowable 10%.

In addition, you would add that same measurement to the Total Roof System Perimeter amount as well.

Why would yo need an attorney to interpret this?

It is a form.
You fill out the form.
Perimeter= distance around.
Length= distance across.

As I said yesterday,
A square house, 40 x 30 = 140 linear feet.
A non-hip feature, like a gable end =15 feet in length.
15/140=10.71% non-hip features= a non-hip roof** ACCORDING TO THE FORM.**

I can not see any possible way to be sued for filling out the form properly.

what about inside of the perimeter. Apparently only non roof shapes inside of the perimeter are measured.

Should it not be all roof edge areas or just the perimeter?
How can it be the perimeter BUT if something inside not part of the perimeter and is not hip then it must be included in the calculation.

Is it 10% of the perimeter or 10% of all roof edges?

To me it is not so clear that the other roof shapes not on the perimeter are to be considered. I want to know what someone in contract law says about what we are filling out.

The insurance companies must accept forms filled out by the directions of the form. Not what they feel is correct. What are the directions of the form?

Here we go…

ı A. Hip Roof Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter.

What we are trying to find out is the percentage of non-hip features.
To do that we need two numbers.
Number one: Total length of non-hip features:
Number two: Total roof system perimeter:
By dividing one into the other, we will arrive at the percentage that is a non hip roof, number three.

So:

Total length of non-hip features: 15 feet;
Total roof system perimeter: 140___ feet
Percent of non-hip features:15/140 =.10714 * 100=10.71%

It is basic math :Percent

A “Real” businessman that has concerns would seek the advice of his own council, rather than try and save a few bucks by querying for legal advice on a message board, and then argue about the lack of desired results to his inquiry.

Bite me, moron :slight_smile: