{insert catchy title here}

Hi everyone.

My name is Wayne Sundmacher. I’m in the Clearwater/St.Pete./Tampa area. I’ve been a tradesman/remodeler for about 20 years now (not a GC, I actually do the work). I have a very high standard of quality, which seems to no longer be appreciated in the construction trades these days. That has made me have to rethink my career choice, since I refuse to lower my quality standard.

On a few of the most recent flip houses I’ve worked on, I was very impressed with the Home Inspectors that found and flagged deficiencies and poor workmanship that I had been previously scolded for pointing out by the contracting company owner I worked for. Not my work, but the work of others who had a “just get it done” attitude that the GC condoned. That’s when it dawned on me, I’m in the wrong business. I want to be “that guy”, the Home Inspector. The one who is respected for finding the issues and bringing them to the attention of the unsuspecting home buyer.

So here I am. Thanks to InterNACHI and my prior experience, I was able to take and pass the Florida HI exam first shot. But that’s just the beginning and I know that.

Anyway, I just wanted to introduce myself and “break the ice”. I’m open to advice you may have for a new Home Inspector. And I’d really appreciate someone giving me the opportunity to do a ride-along so I can see this business from this side of the fence.

Thanks,
Wayne Sundmacher

PS, I’m not interested in undercutting, that just kills a trade. Like I said above, quality is where my heart is at.

Welcome to InterNACHI Wayne.

Welcome Wayne

Welcome, Wayne:D

Welcome aboard!

Welcome and good luck.

very nice

You sound happy now…Just wait till attics in the Summer :frowning:

But Welcome anyhow, this is the best org out there for inspecting.

I’m already used to it :wink:
I’ve worked in many Fl attics in mid summer, through the last decade.

I’d rather be too hot than slightly cold any day.

Here’s a trick for anyone who gets all itchy from fiberglass insulation…
Spray on some of that alcohol based sun screen about 10-20 minutes before coming in contact with fiberglass. The sun screen clogs your pores, preventing the fiberglass from entering and making you all itchy for days.

I figured that one out when I was a roofer back in 2003.

You are my exact opposite. There is nothing I hate more than being covered in dripping sweat. NASTY. I can always put on more or electric clothes. Once I am naked what else can I do? I sure would not want to be shirtless in an attic and believe my clients would agree :slight_smile:

If I could make a decent living and support my Wife and keep my kid in a great private school I would give just about anything to be somewhere where the average temp rarely exceed 80 F. Acceptable temp during the Summer as long as it cooled down at night.

We keep our home at a comfortable 78 - 80 F year round. Anything colder and I’m freezing my butt off. I’m the only person I know that can shiver if it’s below 70 F.

But here in Fl, that’s a good thing.

I’ve gotten quite used to working in hot environments. A few years ago I worked as a Millwright welder at St. Lucie and Turkey Point nuclear power plants. Welding in the mid summer full sun, in long sleeves is way hotter than any attic I’ve been in. Didn’t bother me one bit. But everyone around me was miserable.

I guess it’s all about what your body is used to.

Welcome Wayne,

Get as much ride along as you can. I have a similar background as you and after 20 years in the trades (and 10 years as a GC) I started my inspection company. I did not realize how much I did not know until I started my inspection company. My best advise is to read as much information as you can from this cat: http://www.buildingscience.com/websiteinfo/atw-authors/atw-author his papers will teach you an insurmountable amount of information particularly how buildings perform in hot humid climates such as ours. Good Luck and go get’em!

I totally understand. I’m actually surprised that the exam wasn’t way harder than it was, considering how mush there is that needs to be known.

The exact link you provided came up as page not found, so I’m not sure which author you were referring to.

I scanned through the Building Sciences site and OMG that site has a ton of excellent info I’ll be reading through. Thank you so much for turning me on to their website.

Great glad to help read as much as you can you won’t believe what you can learn from Joe Lstiburek … you can just Google his name and tons of info will pop up HAVE FUN Merry Christmas :wink: