Inspecting roof on home inspection

Just wondering if you guys walk all (or most) roofs when doing a home inspection. Does it matter to you if it is two story, tile, or are there any factors when you wont.

So far I’ve walked them all…only walked one tile and that was on a ride along. The HI showed me where and how to walk it without breaking anything…very tricky. good thing too because some significant roof issues were found that wouldn’t have been found without traversing.

Walk them all and will walk a two story if I can access it from the first story. I do not bring a 25 foot ladder with me, just a 20 footer. If you don’t walk the roof you will miss a ton of stuff. Not mandated by the SOP, but I do it every chance I get to include tile.

most I encounter need a 24’ or 28’ ladder. I have them and do take it with me and only look from roof edge but I am wondering if I should even bring a ladder that big along or just look with binoculars from below

almost all are tile here…

We have a ton of tile as well. Can you see loose ridge caps with your binoculars? Can you see crickets behind chimneys from the roofs edge? If a tile roof is installed properly you can walk on it all day long. I do and have NO problems. I do keep a tube of RT600 just in case I crack one, then I just fix it. No harm no foul.

I met you and you are a very articulate guy with a ton of knowledge. Why not give the customer 100%? If you were buying a home with a tile roof would it be OK with you that the inspector did not walk on the roof? I know I would be OK with it, because I see what is missed if not walked on.

You say you walk 2 story if you can access from the first floor, here most you beed a 24’ sometime a 28’ ladder you 20’ would not do it. I do walk them now tile or not but other inspectors I see dont have a way to even transport a tall ladder so I was wondering. I am like you and believe you need to go above and beyond.

Other inspectors don’t do it is the EXACT reason you should. If you do as the others do then what sets you apart?

Do you think you need to destroy your clients prospective roof for the sake of conducting your home inspection?

Russell you still didnt answer my question about the ladder

David, why would you be destroying their roof by walking it?

LMAO…Nope, thats why I don’t break their tile. I LEARNED how to walk on tile roofs. Do you blatantly disregard your client by giving them a substandard inspection while making it a point that you deserve professional wages for a 1/2 ***-ed job?

If I cannot access it with a 20 foot ladder then I do mark it as not accessible and do view it from the ground the best I can using binoculars.

Here I would say 5% of the houses need a 28 foot ladder.

The only thing I have ever destroyed is my back from a fall. With the exception of clay tile roofs (and you can walk them if you know how) there is no excuse for not getting up on the roof.

After my fall (and surgeries) last year I no longer walk the roof, but I do bring a licensed roofer with me to inspect the roof. I still will climb the ladder (on one story roofs only) and look form the eaves, but I no longer have the balance right now to to walk them.

I will tell you guys this. BE CAREFUL. Make sure your ladder is properly secured and only walk the roof under ideal conditions. If a roof is wet, stay off it. I almost died last year. As a matter of fact I am almost to the one year anniversary of my fall. I am lucky. It nearly killed me. And now I will never walk normally again. If you dont think it can happen to you, then get out of this business. It only takes a half a second to change your life forever.

The roof is too critical, so I bring a roofing contractor which has showed me things I never would of though about. Each trade has its own multiple levels of knowledge. Takes the liability off me and gives the buyer the best possible information about the home they may purchase. He writes his own report. Hook up with a honest roofer

Nick, the reason I would never do that is where does it stop?

Why not get them an AC contractor?

Hell maybe a plumber too!

Electrical is a serious issue and is a hell of alot more complex then roofs…maybe get one of them too!

See where this goes?

Then what about the “Unbiased” portion of the inspection. It now becomes “BIASED”. You own your business and do as you see fit. I almost never bring people with me that are not my employees.

If I was your client and my AC didn’t work when I moved in, I would ask why you didn’t bring a licensed AC contractor with you. See what I mean? Once again, its your business do whats right for you.

Honest roofer, didn’t know there were any left. :mrgreen:

I walk all roofs except two story, because most two story are 6/12 or more and too high for my 20’ ladder.

So do you disclaim this from your agreement? Or give client 2 roof reports?

2. Standards of Practice
2.1. Roof
[INDENT]I. The inspector shall inspect from ground level or eaves:
[INDENT]A. the roof covering;
B. the gutters;
C. the downspouts;
D. the vents, flashings, skylights, chimney and other roof
penetrations; and
E. the general structure of the roof from the readily accessible panels, doors or stairs.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

I walk all roofs, if possible. Just like Russell said. Havent broke one yet.

Nick,

With your pricing structure, how can you afford to pay a roofing contractor to inspect the roof?

I follow Russ and Dennis. I carry a 22’ fold -up and a 13’ fold up. There is very few roofs I do not walk.