InterNACHI releases all new Wind Mitigation Inspection course with new form.

Many thanks to John and Ben.

On quiz 4, question 3 has the wrong answer.
From the new 1802:
Select all roof covering types in use.

Also, the pdf on several sections has the goofy Euro sign.

Check for nails at least three (3) consecutive trusses(or rafters) with the Zircon MT6 scanner:
Thought that was changed to 2.

Hmmmm…
The inspector should look at all visible top cords of the rafter or truss for missed nails. If there is an AVERAGE of 4 or more splitting or missed (shiners) nails per 4ft section the inspector should mark “E. Other” and add an explanation.

And, Thanks for getting this together!

Thanks Ben and John Shishilla. Great job getting the course ready.

Section 2: For each roofing material. The page is blank.

Great job John and Greg!
Thanks,

Thanks John & Ben, Great job!

The quiz question should be changed

technically you could check two trusses and arrive at the same answer, but may miss the panel edge . I think it would be better to know.

Missed nails: a re-inspector would report it that way. The HO needs to know if it was re-nailed properly. We can all agree that it is a code violation. It does no good to re-nail if they miss the truss.

The quiz question should be changed
It also needs to be changed on the final exam.

technically you could check two trusses and arrive at the same answer, but may miss the panel edge . I think it would be better to know.

I only mention it as I remember it from the conference.

Missed nails: a re-inspector would report it that way. The HO needs to know if it was re-nailed properly. We can all agree that it is a code violation. It does no good to re-nail if they miss the truss.

I wrote that because I seem to remember a conversation about this at the conference as well!:wink:
I would also suggest to all inspectors, that when the missed nail situation comes up, you inform your clients of it and tell them to get it resolved.
To resolve the issue, it may involve replacement of the roof.

Failed roofs that “passed code”.](http://www.magnuminspections.com/Roof.htm)

Thanks again for the course!

Thank you for preparing this course in record time! Your hard work is much appreciated.

Bert

Thanks John:D
Now meeker can compete with the rest of us:D

Care to explain that one?

Is there some way we can get the continuing ed credits we deserve if we take this course. Is it listed as different from the last course?

I am considering taking it but want to make sure it counts for something as opposed to looking like I just did the same thing twice?

For the record Bruce I will be taking a course on the changes and such tonight. “LIVE”
I will get a dinner for my time and money but no continuing ed credits or certificate. I am already twice qualified by the law so I do believe I am good to go :slight_smile:

I can see the sales pitch already :slight_smile: Do you want an inspector that just qualified with an online course or do you want one who took his own time after hours to learn about the newest form live and in person :slight_smile:

Or do you want a person who was up at 4:00am to take the newest course?:mrgreen:

When you retake the course and pass the test, it updates the date on your certificate.

Good Job. I saw your pretty cert :slight_smile: You just may be to sleepy to do a good job in the field today :slight_smile:

I would like it to count as a new course and I believe it should.

Got to get me another Beaumont award :slight_smile:

The certificate numbers are different so maybe it will count as new credits.

The only field I plan on being in today has 18 holes in it!:wink:

Can we get a for sure answer on this? NICK?

Have fun on the course today. Its a little windy.

Quiz question and final exam question has been changed.

And 3 was changed to 2 on http://education.nachi.org/show.php?element_id=3038&course_id=66

Good?

Looks good to me.
You may also want to point out that we are not necessarily looking for nails “every six inches” but, “in a 36 inc span, six nails an average of six inches apart”.

I seem to remember John saying that at the conference.

Also, what about Mikes question regarding course credit?

You may also want to check the calculations on this page: Course

Calculations:

Total Perimeter: 45’ + 24’ + 10’ + 12’ + 15’ + 12’ + 20’ + 24’ = 162’

Flat (non-hip) Perimeter: 12’ + 15’ + 12’ + 15’ = 54’

Flat (non-hip) Perimeter is divided by Total Perimeter: 54’ / 162’ = 33%. Since 33% is greater than 10%, the roof is considered a NON-HIP roof. A hip roof is a roof that has no other shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter.

I am pretty sure this should be:
Flat (non-hip) Length 15
Total roof perimeter:147
15/147= 10.2% non-hip

I don’t know what the calculations below are even for!
Calculations:

Total Perimeter of hip roof area: 50’ + 22’ + 15’ + 35’ + 15’ + 22’ + 35’ + 50’ = 244’

Flat (non-hip) perimeter: = 8’ + 8’ + 4’ + 4’ = 24’.

Non-hip perimeter divided by total perimeter = 24 / 244 = 9.8%. Since 9.8% is less than 10%, then the roof is considered a hip roof. That’s because a hip roof is a roof that has no other shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter.

This needs to be changed as well: Flat roof

Agreed there are some changes needed. They will be addressed this evening. THANK YOU all so much. It is always helpful to have some extra eyes.

Glad to help. Also, if you need any pictures, let me know and I’ll see what I have.
Did you and John get a chance to look at the forms I sent you?

Nick… anyone? Any word on this yet?