I know we went over this but....

So what to do about a Wind Mit when the attic is covered with spray foam insulation. I cant see the straps, cant find a shiner, cant measure for nailing pattern. cant identify or measure the substrate.

Then of course, all of the glazed openings on the second floor are missing any sort of labels or markings other than the pgt markings on the glass.

The building plans were on site and showed the specifications. house is 2003

Any suggestions? Do I write it as unknown/unidentified and attach a letter of explanation?

is it possible to contact the builder?

Write unknown/no access/unidentified. I know it’s crappy but is the only way.

Being it’s a 2003 house, he’s should be getting almost all the credits anyway. My insurance company St. Johns give home’s built to the new 2002 code a 68% discount right of the bat, so the only thing that a home owner can get is a hip roof credit and windows covering credit. But you can explain that if you can’t verify that it might be worth while for the home owner to cut section of the foam so you can see it and and that you will come back for a trip charge otherwise you have to mark unknown.

I would NEVER contact the builder. They will say they did whatever is BEST. I don’t know of ANY check box that has …“The builder said”…Mark what you can PROVE and thats it. Do not look like a tool when you get re-inspected. My 2 cents

If you will not contact the builder. Recommend having your client contact their builder, contractor, or roofer. They can provide an affadavit, attesting to which construction features are present but not accessible. This is a common scenario and these “roof compliance affidavit’s”, and such are acceptable.

Good Point Dennis…

Also, some stuff just doesnt even have NOA or product approval, like bulletproof or custom applications. Engineers override code minimums, and a letter from them should suffice as well.

Dennis I hear what you are saying, but where does it give this guidance. Where does it say 9lb Large missile Impact or a letter from an engineer?

Where does it say a signed affidavit from a contractor is acceptable?

Man I just report on what I CAN PROVE…Not what I am told! When someone comes behind me, I want them to SEE what I SAW…Not what I was told.

Just me

I do as Dennis does and add the information to the report stating as per roofer or whatever the case may be. I advise the clients to have them write a letter with their credentials and their licensing info and signature stating what they claim to have did. Only after I have that do I add it to the report and I make sure I state how I come to the decision.

I do know that roof affidavits pertaining to roof material, dates and SWB are being used in the reinspections. Because the reinspections require more documentation in many instances, they are accepting alternative means to accomplish this verification. Even though there is nothing on the form that suggest alternative documentation is acceptable, the insurance underwriters do accept at their discretion on Retail wind mits. I believe they run the risk of being held liable in some instances if they did not. Certainly it is up to the individual inspector as to whether they want to go the extra mile for their client or not. Just because the form doesn’t say it, or have a place for it, doesn’t mean it can’t be done and accepted.

Agree, but then how does the re-inspect go? Who signed the Wind Mit form? The roofer? The builder? Will you fail the re-inspection?

Different way of doing business and what works for you is all good.

The way I look at these is that the re-inspector is looking to find fault with my work to justify his exoastance and pay. I want to give him ZERO reason to do so. I have not seen anywhere that getting tradesman to sign letters is an approved means for acceptance. Until then, I report on what I do and do not see. Not saying I am right, just works for me and I can’t get slammed for doing it.

Russell,
I agree you are safer the way you are currently doing it but I kind of see it as I do when I review information on windows and doors. I personally do not know that they meet the requirements but the documents I review many times and even stickers stuck on accordions state that they do. Same goes for saying a roof meets code. I only say it does when I have seen proof that it has received and passed the final roofing inspection.

I agree with everyone on this topic. we all know every case is different. Sometimes, there is no access to roof features and im willing to put other- see affadavit from architect,engineer, ect.(just like the FBC) letter. This is a fair middle ground, is not fraudulent, lets the underwriter make the decision, and lessens the liability. And on #3 a-c. it does list specific uplift resistance psi #'s which only an engineer could qualify. For instance metal roof deck screwed down with a letter from an engineer.

Thanks guys, sounds like it has to go as I thought, unknown/undetermined and I will attach a letter stating the circumstances along with the photos of the plans stating the intent. Advise the client to contact the builder to get an affidavit attesting to the features and let it go.

Russel, I dont think anyone is saying a letter from a cuntractor is sufficient to mark the report other than what is visible, it is just supporting information to be submitted to the underwriter to let THEM make the decision. My business model tends to have the customers interest at heart more than some, I actually care more about them than the bit of time it takes to do a little research, make a phone call or write a letter. But thats just Me.

If they go for a reinspection they will find the same thing I found and write it the same way I wrote it without the letter, however the customer is going to be aware of the situation and its up to him to make sure the features get recognized.

CYA, if you have a set of Approved Construction Documents, signed/sealed by an A/E and the Authority Having Jurisdiction approving those documents and issuing a Building Permit, passing all final inspections; you have covered your ***. Any court will support you. I know what the insurance industry wants, a visual, documentation etc…
So as others have written, ask for the owner to provide an affidavit attesting that it was built as per the specs.

There is a difference between a mistake, difference of interpretation and fraud. ie fraud (see dictionary, deceit, trickery) is when someone answers without ever going to the house or revewing any docs etc…
If you are on site and have approved const docs, finaled and approved, and you don’t answer that it exist, are you now calling the A/E, builder and Building Dept fraudulent? Where is the liability?

What a can of worms, give back their money.

I tend to do the same thing when i’m able - I live in a relatively small community and going the extra mile does actually pay off in the long run - word of mouth spreads, and it promotes my business.

Bingo

This comment needs to be repeated, it is the only viable option to marking it unknown. I would provide this as an option to the homeowner as well. That is assuming you have nothing more than the inspection to base the findings on. That is most frequently the case.

Great idea, that thought came to me this morning. I will present that to the buyers and have their insurance agent run the numbers to see what the credits will mean to them in Dollar amount, if it is substantial they can pay me to section the foam in a few locations.
of course what are the odds of finding a shiner in the same spot I cut the foam…