Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Florida Home Inspectors This is a place for Florida InterNACHI inspectors to discuss Florida home inspection topics, wind mitigation inspections and 4-point inspections. Become a home inspector in Florida

Old 1/13/19, 5:53 PM
InterNACHI Applicant

Default Moisture intrusion in Florida homes

I am very unimpressed by the florida building industry and its apparent disregard to build watertight homes. I understand that in Florida homes are built to withstand the hurricane force winds, but the wall design of almost every home built in Florida relies on Paint only to keep the water out of the building. Take second storeys in homes which are timber built and are rendered stucco onto mesh. When the stucco cracks, (and it always does) it lets water in to the mesh which then rusts and blows off large amounts of stucco. Its so obvious that this is going to happen and yet the industry is continuing to build with systems that are known to be defective.

If only every consumer realised that their $450,000 home is only protected from the elements by a $4000 paint job that needs doing every 4 years at the most.
Old 1/15/19, 10:49 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

Default Re: Moisture intrusion in Florida homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by icoates2 View Post
I am very unimpressed by the florida building industry and its apparent disregard to build watertight homes. I understand that in Florida homes are built to withstand the hurricane force winds, but the wall design of almost every home built in Florida relies on Paint only to keep the water out of the building. Take second storeys in homes which are timber built and are rendered stucco onto mesh. When the stucco cracks, (and it always does) it lets water in to the mesh which then rusts and blows off large amounts of stucco. Its so obvious that this is going to happen and yet the industry is continuing to build with systems that are known to be defective.

If only every consumer realised that their $450,000 home is only protected from the elements by a $4000 paint job that needs doing every 4 years at the most.
Interesting opinion, as it some cases, the applied paint may actually be the cause of the problem, thus "colored stucco"!

Good luck with your battle.

Jeffrey R. Jonas
Owatonna, Minnesota

"I am not a teacher, but an awakener."
- Robert Frost, American poet (1874-1963).

"We Respect Our Clients Right to Privacy"