Mold license

“The bill provides that home inspectors licensed under part XV of ch. 468, F.S., are not required to comply with the license requirements for mold assessment.” (FROM FLORIDA NACHI NEWSLETTER)

Does this mean that a mold assessors license is NOT required for HI to perform mold inspections?

It appears that under HB 489 Florida licensed home inspectors will be able to in the course of their home inspection perform the following:

(4)“Mold assessor” means any person who performs or directly supervises a mold assessment.

“Mold assessment” means a process performed by a mold assessor that includes the physical sampling and detailed evaluation of data obtained from a building history and inspection to formulate an initial hypothesis about the origin, identity, location, and extent of amplification of mold growth of greater than 10 square feet.

Home inspectors will not be able to present themselves or advertise any form of mold assessor without a mold assessor’s license.

What this really does is allow the Home Inspector to say the word** Mold (without having a Mold assessor’s license) and evaluate the source/s of the mold.**

If an HI has been properly trained (thru nachi), he/she should be able to:

1. Perform visual inspection
  2. Oversee invasive inspection
  3. Take baseline samples
  4. Develop a remediation plan
  5. Inspect remediation plan for compliance
  6. Visually inspect removal
  7. Take confirmation samples
  8. Sign off clearance for the areas remediated

This is what the IAC training covers if I understand it. The State has accepted this training and has waived additional licensure for the HI which makes sense. A GC does not need a residential bldr license to build a home. “Mold” is a serious issue and is generally associated with some level of legal claim so I would suggest no HI pursue “Mold” without proper training. Just my take on the language.

You can thank Gerry Beaumont for this rule. He worked very hard to have the 10ft rule included.

Thank you Gerry.