Nail Spacing Photos

Has anyone been asked to provide photos with a ruler showing the spacing of the nails for a dimensional lumber roof deck?

Nope
I use a count

-OR- Dimensional lumber/Tongue & Groove decking with a minimum of 2 nails per board.

No, What coimpany is asking?

So, why cant you mark them with the zircon and photograph the markings?

That is just what I did - I think that the agent was looking for the spacing photos for the 8d nails marked on the report and didn’t want to admit he was wrong when he realized what he was asking for. Tower Hill was the underwriter.

Kind of like the first week that photos were required the clerk, in a rather nasty poison pen letter, stated that the photos were of truss brackets to connect the trusses - when I pointed out that the clip was the item next to that - he insisted that he needed more than one picture - go figure!

They will require a picture of both sides of the truss

If its a clip they need a pic on both sides?..Why?

Good point, I will take pictures of both sides and how ever many else I can at the time, just in case I need them later, but I only submit the one picture unless it is a diamond clip.

Try to get a pic showing several in a row. Then close up of the front, lastly a close up of the back. Three for the roof to wall connection. Why? So you dont have to field stupid questions, let your picture tell the story.

Clips ~ include one clip with nails, and a picture of several visible truss clips in a row.

Wrap ~ include both sides with visible nails and a picture of several visible wraps in a row from both directions whenever possible.

I would recommend checking and taking pictures at several locations of the home.

For nail length take a picture of nail length with ruler or tape.
For nail spacing you should mark three trusses in a row and include a tape measure with nail marks. An overview of the three trusses should also be added.

Hope that helps

John, I like the one word you keep using. Several! That’s the key. Take lots of pictures. Send lots of pictures. Think of it this way, do you want to go back and take more? Do you want to argue with the agent? The more pictures clearly showing the items helps alleviate any questions.

I tried to convey that in the last meeting we had. You look awful foolish when a re-inspection shows you are wrong. It is satisfying to pull out more photos to back your views. If you have to re-visit a property to prove a point, you already lost.

IS there anything in writing as to required photos besides peoples opinions??? maybe we should spend all day on the job and mark all the trusses and picture them and all the clips or straps. Seems we keep hearing differing opinions on the photos needed. Of all the insurance companies and agents wanting whatever they feel suits there whim at the moment seems more like they want to hassle inspectors who aren’t on there preferred list or is it because us independants don’t pay there kick back fee??? I think the powers that be whoever that is should put in writing the OFFICIAL needed documented photo requirements. IMHO

The form says pictures are required. The methods for capturing these features are taught in bill yorks class and are widely accepted in the industry as “the norm” If you want to avoid unnecessary hassle, learn the techniques and spend the extra time. Either way, they will be reinspected anyway.

This thanksgiving i’m giving thanks that York and his disciples decided only marking 3 trusses was sufficient and not 10.
Scanning the Florida threads what is the most common three words??
“Bill York Says” thing i’ll add that to my web keywords for more hits…rotflmao

I do not agree with everything He says. Although, he is more in tune with the whole picture than most. Following his advice is optional, I certainly do not and can not on every home. I do the best I can. If you want to know opinions from everyone watch this board. If you want to learn the most widely accepted practices take his class.

That’s why training is essential and mandatory, though further case studies are necessary to cover grey areas. Until wind mitigation verifications become uniform and repeatable, they will continue to be a mess. But yes, Bill was at the right place at the right time : )

agree or not, york is widely regarded as an authority on the subject. underwriters accept his intrepretations.

Believe me* understand *but my biggest gripe is that rules should be in writing so that any Tom Dick or Harry can reject our form or pictures just because they say so. I much prefer to base my decisions and reports on FACTS and not hearsay…

Question was about nail spacing on DIMENSIONAL LUMBER. The insurer’s question is stupid since the form says two per board. Can’t imagine that it would be any other way but if it were less than two (that would mean 1 or 0), the answer would be other. If you measure it and it is greater than 6" on spacing then the answer should still be C for answer 3. That’s what the form says.