New wind mitigation inspection video #2 added to our free, online course

This new, short training video on performing wind mitigation inspection in Florida is being added to InterNACHI’s free, online How to Perform Wind Mitigation Inspections Course, which is currently being updated with new content.

Thanks, Dennis Bonner. Great video. InterNACHI’s Michelle Thakur and Marshall Burgtorf filmed, edited, and produced the video.

Watch the new video #2 at https://youtu.be/5HILPv0GF04
Watch the new video #1 at https://youtu.be/gCh9kE-wys8

Video #3 coming soon…

Sweet!

I really think that is the best HOW TO video I have seen on InterNACHI.

To the powers that be I am ALWAYS willing to help and really enjoyed taking part in the making of the video even though I was not visible. It was a great day and Dennis did an awesome job showing the realty of how we do them.

Nice job guys!

1. Perimeter roof features that do not qualify as hip include overhangs in excess of 36" that are attached to the main structure, such as that front entryway and rear patio overhang.

2. 457 Sentry Glass was rated for impact and only 1/4" thick, it was not positioned between two layers of glass but a single layer. This glass will sound and feel like regular glass when tapped on.

3. If that structure was built in 1993, the roof to wall connection is a code violation as 4 nails minimum was required. This is quite common in that area.

4. Roof deck attachment: When using a zircon to determine deck nail position, how do you know the nail you are detecting isn’t a roof covering nail? They are all over the place. Also, how do you know the deck nail you are measuring isn’t over or under driven being as you can only see one side of it?

5. Do not measure roof deck sheathing, find the manufacturer’s label that verifies it is structural sheathing and rated for exposure 1. I have found many structures with non-rated roof sheathing.

I was offered to do this video and turned it down, it would literally take 3 weeks and 120 hours to teach an inspector to perform these inspections correctly…it would take 3 days to walk them through glazings.

Also, in the video Dennis was marking missed roof deck nails as inclusive in the on-center spacing…that’s a big no-no unless you verified that it was re-nailed.

It is the best video on the marker regarding the subject matter. That my friend is a fact not just an opinion. Care to show me a better one?

Most of the information being taught is outdated and was never accurate in the first place, it has been passed down from inspector to inspector until nobody can confirm weather or not it’s right. There are inspectors getting more detailed and accurate, Manny Gonzalez comes to mind, but even then it’s just scratching the surface.

Just saying, I’m coming behind many inspectors and having to tell the client their form is incorrect. Front doors over-shimmed as it was visible through the Astragal latch, also truss straps bent over 3" before reaching the truss. Framed exterior walls missing strapping for continual load path…on and on. These things are not easy to find, and you must be versed in actual hands-on building to understand what to look for.

Anyway, looks like they had fun and good luck.

Robert,

Was it InterNACHI that approached you to make a video course? No offense intended, I have been approached by others in the past but not InterNACHI.

John and I were talking about it at the FABI conference when he asked if I would be interested in doing it…I said no as it just isn’t possible in a short length of time.

We had a good conversation at the conference, actually a few good conversations.

It seems in this day and age it’s offensive to be right, especially if you point it out to another individual. It’s this new culture of liberal “don’t offend me” type of attitude where we all must be nice and agree 100% with the other individual or we are being rude or mean. We ride in on pretty pink ponies and pass out lollipops and flowers…or as Jeff would say “mamby-pamby land”. Must be my age and upbringing. or I getting cranky as I approach 50…

Anyway…the points I posted are valid and need to be addressed.

I was asked as well. I was a little busy… :slight_smile:

I was NOT asked by InterNACHI directly.

I was asked too, but I told John I was camera shy…:mrgreen: Sorry Robert, you were last in line.:twisted:

How do you determine the exact answer to #4 Robert?

Some of your points are impossible to address without destructive testing. Even if you use a shiner, you cannot confirm or determine if a re-nail was made or not.

Unfortunately doing these forms requires a general overall assessment, not an exact precise determination of all nails being perfect. Its construction and human error comes to play. NO roof nailed will ever be perfect.

Again more useless banter. OMG, I found 1 shiner, I must fail the entire roof install.:roll::roll::roll:

I don’t…just when they are not properly fastened, such as shiners :wink:

There are two ways, it involves…

What can I say…guess we do things a little differ’nt than they does in Tennessee…:wink:

Are you going to answer my question or insult me???

How do you determine #4 that you posted??

Would please enlighten us where this was actually adopted by the insurance industry.

How many different versions of what is and isn’t a non-hip feature would you like? I can find upwards of 5 different opinions from insurers as to what is and isn’t qualified as a hip feature. Besides, how many different versions of what is and isn’t a gable wall have I shown you over the past year? Each insurer has their own version of what is and isn’t a non-hip feature, one even considers any wall adjacent to attic space as a non-hip feature.

So, I started with the people who actually helped design the form…the ARA and also the AIR (herein referenced as “they”). I contacted the engineers and did the research myself, very interesting conversation.

What they said was, the insurance industry provides them damage estimates based on roof geometry and that the the insurance industry decides what qualifies as hip or non-hip…and the information they are receiving as qualifications for a hip feature roof geometry, as they are discovering, is incorrect. The reason you have so many different versions of what is and isn’t a non-hip feature is insurer’s don’t actually use engineering practices to determine this.

There is more than one factor to be considered, including building code to which the structure was built and how it was engineered. Also, if the structure was properly built at the connections to the wall. Just because that’s they way it has been taught from the beginning doesn’t make it right!

Use common sense, is a raised entryway overhang really a hip feature? Or is it a kite? The definition for a hip feature states that the roof slopes towards a wall at all four sides. An overhang, such as a raised entryway, does not slope towards a wall, it slopes towards an overhang. Under-truss or not.

As I have always said, wind mitigation is being fundamentally taught wrong on all aspects. Stop teaching people the form from the outside in and start teaching them actual mitigation…no matter what how the form changed, or what they added or removed, the inspector would understand it if he was taught actual mitigation instead of the 1802 form.

Isn’t everyone always saying “just do what the form asks”. Well, where does it say what is and is not a hip feature? The form asks for the roof perimeter and non-hip features only…In the determination of wind design for roof geometry, I’m going to side over engineers and architects to go with what an underwriter or insurer says?

1. What is the roof shape? (Do not consider roofs of porches or carports that are attached only to the fascia or wall of the host structure over unenclosed space in the determination of roof perimeter or roof area for roof geometry classification).

A. Hip Roof Hip roof with no other roof shapes greater than 10% of the total roof system perimeter. Total length of non-hip features: ______ feet; Total roof system perimeter: _______ feet

B. Flat Roof Roof on a building with 5 or more units where at least 90% of the main roof area has a roof slope of less than 2:12. Roof area with slope less than 2:12 ________ sq ft; Total roof area __________sq ft

C. Other Roof Any roof that does not qualify as either (A) or (B) above.