Please welcome new HI in Volusia County

for some ten years, I have purchased such sundries as cheap cigars, lotto tickets, newspaper, water, and if really pressed for time, the worst cup of coffee any Indian national has ever sold to the public at my nearby discount convenience store. Habib (what I call him) has always been there, encouraging me to buy something else. Noticed over last couple of months, he has taken an interest in my inspection business…how much you charge for a home inspection, etc. Habib informed me yesterday he is now a licensed HI. I asked him what he thought he knew about home construction and he said, “you don’t need to know anything; they showed me in the class (AHIT).” He plans to put a sign in the window of the shop offering discount home inspections. He was a little concerned when I told him he could not send his nephew who works in the store to do the inspection for him but I know it won’t stop him. He then asked me to give him samples of my reports, business card, brochure and said he could get them printed for me for “cheaper”. I will miss buying lotto on my debit card - the national convenience stores here require cash only for lotto.

At some point, serious HI’s need to really think about why they support organizations who encourage unqualified entrants into this field of work. Florida needs mandatory OJT for those with no background in home construction prior to receipt of a license.

How am I going to compete with “Free Coffee/doughnut with cheap home inspection” or “Home Inspection done here - Bring your own photos - $49.95”

it was always easy to become a home inspector. Being a good one is the trick

$19.99 wind mits done by his son to I bet.

I had to go to 3 f-ing stores today to get a pocket rule because I lost mine doing a home inspection alternative yesterday.

I think the first 2 at least were even out of the sorry a s s zircons.

Today, an Insurance agent called and invited me to a meeting at a Huge local Real Estate office. The Insurance agent is sick of the crappy Wind Mits the realtors’ Home Inspectors are sending him. :twisted:

Word gets around, the unqualified will soon go back to landscaping or whatever. We have never had so much competition, yet we have never been as busy. :mrgreen:

not the new guy, but i had a lady cancel 3, 4 points while I was on the way to do them; she found a guy for $50 each for 3 each, 2400sf homes ; I was charging $200 each. guess she had been shopping my rate even though we scheduled this work last Monday.

I totally agree with OJT. There are many professional fields that require apprenticeship, if we want to be viewed as professionals I think this should be required. I had great teachers in 2002-2003 which made me the inspector I am today.
I guess I can only hope that agents red flag these inspectors that think they learned all they need to know in a classroom.

Today, an Insurance agent called and invited me to a meeting at a Huge local Real Estate office. The Insurance agent is sick of the crappy Wind Mits the realtors’ Home Inspectors are sending him.

we need more agents like this. good for you, Jay!