Polybutylene not a defect per local realtor board

As of now Polybutylene plumbing lines are not a defect per local Realtor association. NABOR ( Naples Area Board of Realtors) They removed poly a defect in their purchase agreements! Nor is elevated Penicillum/Aspergillus.
Anybody else heard of this?

No, but who cares? It should not affect what you include in your reports.

Nope , it does not.

Agree, used house sales person organization opinions not considered in our reports.

What’s next… roof and/or plumbing leaks not a defect?

You should note it in your report and if a Realtor wants to sign their name to something saying that it’s not a defect let them.

See how many take you up on your offer.

My report is for the client The agent has no say in it .
If the client wishes to show the agent that’s not my concern.

Defect or not it is certainly worthy of informing your client.

Lawyers being lawyers. We have thousands of homes here with it. I’m sure a law suit will be forthcoming in the next few years when something happens, and the Realtor board told buyer the stuff is not a defect. It should get interesting.

Around here the buyers usually want their agents to have a copy of the report because their agent does the negotiating for them. The buyer’s agent usually gives a copy of the report to the listing agent so they are on the same page as each other.

I do always ask the buyers if they want me to send a copy of the report to their agent, I think twice I was told no.

You have that right Dave :smiley:

Speaking of which, how many call out PB fixture supply lines / risers in a home inspection or 4pt?

Always it is not a case of will they leak but when they will leak . recommend immediate replace with burst proof lines .

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Fluidmaster-Universal-20-in-Braided-Stainless-Steel-Faucet-Supply-Line/3355610

Where I live was once a poly test site, Realtors here are mostly on board with reality.

file:///C:/Users/RobertR/Downloads/PB%20Litigation%20Fact%20Sheet.pdf

There were allegations that PB “falls apart” in water containing chlorine, even at “tap water levels.” That is an incorrect statement. Shell Chemical Company, the producer of PB, spent over three million dollars on a state of the art testing facility to determine the effects of free chlorine on PB tubing. Tests conducted at that facility indicated that, at free chlorine concentrations of 2.0 parts per million (ppm), 25% hot water flowing usage in a twenty four period (higher than typical), PB pipes had an extrapolated test life of over fifty years, assuming good installation and extrusion. At concentrations of 1.0 ppm, extrapolated test life was 140 years. The American Water Works Association (an association for municipal water utilities) states that water utilities in the U.S. normally have free chlorine levels below 1.0 ppm. Even if treatment levels at the water treatment facilities are higher, the numbers within a home are typically at lower levels.

Since when do real estate agents determine what the insurance companies will do? If it is true, this should get interesting.

…maybe they took a page out of the home inspector play book?

Are they putting this in the contract forms to prevent buyers from asking for repairs?

Per purchase agreements, it is not a defect. So no, can’t ask for repairs.

I’d sure like to see the wording in that PA to get that determination. Do you have an actual copy you can post, or is this all just hearsy?