Opening Protection Question

OK, here’s the scenario:

Client has nice little open patio in back (Photo 1) and he has installed valid, rated panels at the sliding glass door and window.

Client then decided to enclose said open patio (Photo 2) - The new windows and door do not have protections (3M film only).

Do you now say he does not meet the requirements or, because the building envelope is still protected (as defined in the Contractors Exam School course by Joe Uz) does he get credit for opening protections?

016.JPG

015.JPG

[quote=“rmurphy1, post:1, topic:84785”]

OK, here’s the scenario:

Client has nice little open patio in back (Photo 1) and he has installed valid, rated panels at the sliding glass door and window.

Client then decided to enclose said open patio (Photo 2) - The new windows and door do not have protections (3M film only).

Do you now say he does not meet the requirements or, because the building envelope is still protected (as defined in the Contractors Exam School course by Joe Uz) does he get credit for opening protections?/QUOTE

He would NOT get a credit. The exterior of the house is what counts, and those openings are not protected. Having shutters on an interior opening does nothing. (cant see how the shutters are installed anyway, but that is besides the point).
Thing is, if one of these openings were to fail, the sudden change in pressure could cause the roof to fail.

I say yes if the original protection is still in place. and it was an outdoor patio.

So, He was OK and his house was safe until he added windows to an open porch - The sudden failure of those added external features will cause his roof to fail? He removes those windows and then he is safe again?

It’s still just a patio. Some pool decks are designed the same way and have actual building envelope protection on the main structure. I don’t see the difference.

With the main roof covering that enclosed porch, the outside glazing is what counts. If the porch roof was non-structurally attached, it used to not count as the exterior, but with the new form, any enclosed porch (attached or not) would be the exterior walls and be counted. In other words…X

Patios don’t have a roof over them. This is an enclosed porch.

Sucks, don’t it. I have had this situation come up many times. The structure was probably built with the open porch as “partially enclosed”, but the 1802 does not deal with this.

I guess my argument is yes it’s enclosed “now” so just because it now has a window and a door but still a patio sealed off from the main structure it voids any current protection?

Some patios are under the roof of the structure. and the protection is not on the patio but on the structure windows

Unfortunately yes, as far as the 1802 goes. You could try an plead with the underwriter, but probably wouldn’t get that far.

I’ll look it up but the definition of a patio is a surface without a roof cover. If it has a roof, it is called a porch. Correct me if I’m wrong.

Not sure either. Let us know when you find it.

Is the roof over the porch / lanai area the original truss roof system?

Yes - The only change made to this 2000 construction is that the little corner porch area was enclosed. The original sliding glass door and window have approved panels with properly installed connectors.

Has to owner done anything to change the protection level of his home by enclosing this area - it remains outside of the original building envelope.

It could. Any sudden change in pressure can cause failure. When a porch is open the pressures exerted on it will vary greatly, but not suddenly. When a space is enclosed and is subject to a sudden failure of a large wall area, the change is almost instantaneous and the forces involved are incredible!

By enclosing the porch, the building envelope has changed to include the exterior walls of the porch. The owner can simply relocate the storm panels to the outside walls.

Hmmmmm. Makes ya think…