Raynor garage doors

Any truth ? All Raynor garage doors produced in Florida are impact rated ??
Sure would change many A.2’s to an A.1 if so…

I don’t know about that, but I do know, that a lot of garage doors have the wrong stickers on them, especially if Broten did the installation. :smiley:

Just had another one with the green E330 sticker and the door was installed in 2005 and turned out to be hurricane rated.

May be true in HVHZ, but not for the rest of the state.

http://www.floridabuilding.org/pr/pr_app_dtl.aspx?param=wGEVXQwtDqtGLR%2ByCBy1JnaGaBoR9Ns5QeQndn9bW2%2FW6xStONkl6Q%3D%3D

Not true. As our great forum won’t allow us to upload excel files, see attached link to my Drive account with Raynor models and NOA’s. Most not impact rated, only design pressure.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B_N4mEb3D4VOalBEZk5VQmtJOVk/edit?usp=sharing

The left 4 doors are the dominate sold in this area. Im shocked at how thin these rated doors are. Less than tin can material…

I have a question. If glass block isn’t required to be protected in the non-hurricane zone and you get credit, why do garage doors have to be rated to get the credit?

Doesn’t it exceed the building code to have a hurricane rated door? Wouldn’t this be yet another example of the insurance companies, via the OiR, overriding the building code and as it costs the homeowner more money, either to to replace the door or in premiums, wouldn’t that be a form of extortion?

Also, as they are now enforcing a building code that doesn’t exist, wouldn’t they also be operating out of their scope of license? :wink:

Can you explain this statement ? Not questioning you but can you clarify as it is a separate line item on the form and I do see coverings on many on this side of the world…

Glass block isn’t required to be covered in the non hurricane zone to get a credit, because, it was never required by the building code.
You still mark X on the form, but add an explanation, at least that is what I was taught.

Now, since the insurance companies can believe the building code on one item, why not another?

Did you mean that glass block is not required to be protected in the “high-velocity hurricane zone?” :stuck_out_tongue:

You know what I mean…I think! :mrgreen:

Just not sure everyone else knew. :cool:

Then they should take “Your” course! :slight_smile:

Now, I’m confused. Did you guys go back and read your statements? Eric had it right the first time.

For everybody else…True mortared glass block is not required to be protected OUTSIDE the HVHZ. This is because it is basically considered a masonry unit in the FBC and not a glazed opening. It is required to be protected or impact rated within the HVHZ. We have been taught to select N/A for glass block outside the HVHZ, and show a photo of the glass block with a caption of “True glass block not required to be protected outside the HVHZ.”

The overhead garage door does not need to be rated (outside the HVHZ) and will not take away any opening protection credits as long as the door has no glazing in it, and the rest of the home is properly protected. The A2 or A3 rating has the same weight as the A1 rating. Of course you should still determine the rating or lack thereof of the door itself, and select that in the matrix table.

Brad Toye
Lecsi2@gmail.com

John was being funny! :wink:

And, the A2 and A3 ratings do not carry the same weight as an A1, at least with several homes I have inspected in the HVHZ. I have had several clients call me back stating, that the A3 turned out to be an X as far as their carrier, Universal, was concerned. All over a missing or painted over door sticker. I told them how to solve that issue, but, nonetheless, some insurance companies are only giving a credit for an A1 rating.

The most recent, an A2 because of the E330 sticker on the garage door, after some investigation and a new sticker from the installer, turned out to be an A1, which was a big difference in discounts.

I was giving examples of policies not in the HVHZ. Things are quite different inside the HVHZ, which I don’t have much experience with.

Outside the HVHZ does make a difference. An A.1 vs A.2 or 3 is significant. That’s where this post originated from. On a high value home it’s about a 900.oo difference and most coming right down to the garage doors…

A1 is what used to be termed everything impact. A3 is what used to be the ‘all glazed’ credit, which is quite a bit lower percentage wise than A1. Not sure what A2 does as it says everything is impact (glazed and non-glazed) but the garage door. I would assume A2 yields same credit as A3, ie the all glazed credit, as the large A1 discount given is to recognize that all breach-able points of entry are impact rated, thus maintaining the building envelope.

Next time you are sitting down with an insurance agent, have him run the numbers on A1 vs A3. He will most likely tell you that with Citizens, there is only A, B, C, or X on the Epas system. Non-glazed doors are only “information only” data, and have no effect on the credits. This is what one of my agents told me, and the sample house was done in an Exposure C area. Other areas (and carrier’s) might be different outside the HVHZ.

I agree Glenn, this is how it should be, but I found out different. Maybe Citizen’s will figure this out, or maybe not.

Our job is not to decide what the credits are. We only fill out the form. Every company may be different. If you need a specific answer for a specific company you should talk to the agent. The rest is conjecture as it can change.