Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Florida Home Inspectors This is a place for Florida InterNACHI inspectors to discuss Florida home inspection topics, wind mitigation inspections and 4-point inspections. Become a home inspector in Florida

Old 4/26/13, 10:57 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Recall Check will not be permitted in Florida

This will be fun to watch and see just how it plays out.

Seems like all pain and NO gain for those with just a HI license

I tried to warn you all against having the State run your Businesses for you. I tried.

<div align=center>
Quality Control Consultants. Pre-Purchase Building and Home Consultations
FLORIDA LICENSED GENERAL CONTRACTOR & CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR
Call 954-922-0584 or E-Mail Me For The Best Consultations or Inspections in Florida.
mike@meekerindustries.com
http://www.meekerindustries.com
Also Check out these two great sites below for a HEALTHIER LIFE !
mikemeeker.towergarden.com & mikemeeker.juiceplus.com
Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/26/13, 11:06 PM

Eric, care to rethink this "You now Mike, you keep harping on "you got what you deserve" and I would really like clarification on that.

All this talk of "gloom and doom" because of licensing or the State, or a whole host of other excuses, are just that, excuses.

All the stuff John has posted is the stuff I said would happen and I doubt is what those who were foolish enough to want licensing wanted. At least I hope none of them wanted it. Who knows with that group?

<div align=center>
Call 954-922-0584 or E-Mail Me For The Best Consultations or Inspections in Florida.
Old 4/26/13, 11:16 PM

(a) Identifying concealed conditions or latent defects;

(a)(b) Determining:

1. The strength, adequacy, effectiveness, or efficiency of any system or component;

Home inspectors do not do this now.

2. The causes of any condition or deficiency;

3. The methods, materials, or costs of corrections;

4. Future conditions including, but not limited to, failure of systems and components;

5. The suitability of the property for any specialized use;

6. Compliance with regulatory requirements (codes, regulations, laws, ordinances, etc.), manufacturer

specifications, installation procedures or instructions;

7. The market value of the property or its marketability;

8. The advisability of the purchase of the property;

9. The presence of potentially hazardous plants or animals including, but not limited to wood destroying

organisms or diseases harmful to humans;
Home inspectors do not do this now, unless you have a wdo license, which will no tchange

10. The presence of any environmental hazards including, but not limited to fungi, molds, toxins, carcinogens,

noise, and contaminants in soil, water, and air;

11. The effectiveness of any system installed or methods utilized to control or remove suspected hazardous

substances;

12. The operating costs of systems or components;

13. The acoustical properties of any system or component;

14. Conditions that might affect the ability to obtain insurance and/or the price of insurance;
There is nothing stopping any inspector from including this information in an e mail to the client.

15. The calibration of measuring devices including timers, clocks, thermostats, and gauges;

16. The integrity of thermal glass seals;

17. The presence of manufacturers’ defects in any product, material, component, equipment, or system, or

information related to recall notices;
The home inspector may not be able to, but a third party vendor could, and again, this could be done via a separate email.

18. Installation conformance to manufacturers’ instructions for any product, component, element, device, or

system;
If that is the case, then the entire inspection will not need to be done, as that is exactly what we are inspecting.

(b)(c) Offering to:

1. Perform any act or service contrary to law;

2. Perform engineering/architectural services;

3. Perform work in any trade or any professional service for which a license is required, other than home

inspection, unless licensed to do so;

(c)(d) Inspecting:

1. Underground items including, but not limited to underground storage tanks or other indications of their

presence, whether abandoned or active;

2. Recreational facilities;

(d)(e) Dismantling any system or component, except as explicitly required by these Standards of Practice;

(f) Utilizing special instruments, tools, or measuring devices of any kind to measure moisture, humidity, water

or air volume, water or air flow, water potability, air quality, temperature, voltage, amperage, electrical grounding,

polarity, and continuity, VOC’s, microwaves, electromagnetic fields, and other similar kinds of conditions or

activities;
This will never make it in and is perhaps the most asinine statement I have ever read.

(e) (g) Operating equipment, appliances, or devices on more than one cycle, zone, or phase or operate any

device, appliance, system, or equipment which in the opinion of the inspector may fail during the act of inspection;
Home inspectors do this now.

(h) Providing any information from any source regarding property ownership, property boundaries, liens,

outstanding loans, code violations, reports of hazardous materials, manufacturers’ recalls, Consumer Protection

Agency bulletins, and other similar kinds of public information.
Hey, to the dumbass who wrote this..."public information". I correct myself in that this is now the most asinine statement I have ever read!

(f) Performing work in any trade or professional service for which a license is required other than home

inspection, unless licensed to do so.

What we have is a bunch of mumbo jumbo which appears to have been written by a mentally retarded 8 year-old. I apologize to all of the mental retarded 8 year-olds for lumping them in with whatever idiot wrote this.
Old 4/26/13, 11:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Default Recall Check will not be permitted in Florida

Man... I thought California was bad.

'Today's Home Inspection Service'
Because Today Sounds Good!
951.202.4492 / 949.424.4290
Inland Empire and Orange County
www.todayshomeservice.com

Certified Roof Inspector via NRCIA
Certified Home Inspector via AHIT
Certified Pool/Spa Inspector via AHIT
Mold Inspector CMI-79952
Mold Remediator Contractor CMRC-79892
Health and Safety Technician for
Mold Assessors and Remediators # 79979
Old 4/26/13, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evandeven View Post
What we have is a bunch of mumbo jumbo which appears to have been written by a mentally retarded 8 year-old. I apologize to all of the mental retarded 8 year-olds for lumping them in with whatever idiot wrote this.
Thanks for the laugh

<div align=center>
Old 4/26/13, 11:54 PM
Certified Master Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthornberry View Post
Inspectors don't check for Recalls with my product, a third party does (me) as indicated by Eric and he is correct.

I'm not worried about me so much though- this is just colossally bad legislation for the inspection industry overall.
Then I should change the title, If you want to check for recalls, you must use Nathan's service.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Flor...ceinspections/

Visit the InterNACHI Awards page

John Shishilla
State of Fl Home Inspector #21
Certified Residential Contractor CRC1330745
Mold Assessor MRSA 1544

Serving all of Melbourne, Palm Bay, Cocoa, Rockledge, Viera, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbor Beach, Vero, Vero Beach and surrounding areas.

Honor Construction Inspection Service
www.honorconstruction.com

321-327-2950

Old 4/27/13, 12:47 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

So an Inspector can not check recalls but you can Nathan ?
Obviously that is absurd as well since you have no special license to qualify you for checking recalls.

Why would it be OK for a third party to do so ?

That is a totally goofy looking list that someones mother must have written for an angry Agent or Broker when a sale fell through.
Old 4/27/13, 12:59 AM

I have never in my life seen any proposed legislation so ridiculous. It seems if you're a contractor you're good to go, inspect it, fix it, do what you want.

As far as recalls, the state actually believes this would be best?...not allow an inspector to check if there are recalls which are fire hazards?

I would certainly think if something happened the state could be held responsible for any injury or death related to a fire from an appliance if they passed this legislation.
Old 4/27/13, 1:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dduffy View Post
I have never in my life seen any proposed legislation so ridiculous. It seems if you're a contractor you're good to go, inspect it, fix it, do what you want.

As far as recalls, the state actually believes this would be best?...not allow an inspector to check if there are recalls which are fire hazards?

I would certainly think if something happened the state could be held responsible for any injury or death related to a fire from an appliance if they passed this legislation.
Dale is there a law that legislators must always explain proposed bills and the reasoning behind them before they are even considered ?

If not there should be.
Old 4/27/13, 2:31 AM
Unmoderated Guest

Please Note: Mike O'Handley is a non-member guest and is in no way affiliated with InterNACHI or its members.

What are inspectors doing about this?

If the law is not yet passed, get word to the legislators that they are screwing the consumer with that legislation.

I saw them propose lots of sfuff here but we got out in front of it. We showed up at committee meetings and we gave them an earful; over, and over, and over again. We spread the word through friends and relatives and encouraged them all to contact their reps on both sides of the aisle and both the state senate and house. In the end, they listened.

If this is in the rules being drafted by the board, and the board comes under the authority of a director of some sort (Our board is under the Director, Department of Licensing), than organize and ask to meet with the director and then bring your objections to the meeting in writing and explain point by point why this is bad rule making. Put together a presentation that will take no more than ten minutes and then tweak it and rehearse it over and over until you've got it down to less than ten minutes. Make sure you have your group hammer the presenter with questions and rehearse, rehearse.

If there is a board formed and they are still in the process of writing rules, they have to meet and meetings have to be public. Make sure someone is at every board and sub-committee meeting and asks questions and lets those committee members know exactly what their contemporaries think of them. Also make sure the director knows what you think of them. Find one or two consumers who are not inspectors to show up and also voice their objections to the board hamstringing inspectors. One way to approach this is to get them to reword it to say that an inspector is not required to go beyond the standard but that if the inspector wishes to do so the inspector may exceed the standards but it is entirely the inspector's decision and responsibility.

It took us nearly a year of hard work to iron out our rules and we went back to the drawing board at least a dozen times.

If you think it's wrong you need to get organized and get out in front of it; not sit back and wring your hands.

Mike O'Handley
Kenmore, Washington

Last edited by Mike O'Handley; 4/27/13 at 2:35 AM..
Old 4/27/13, 3:34 AM

Wow! Restrictive. I thought America was the land of opportunity and free market and trade, not restrictions on ability to earn a living or offering services.
Old 4/27/13, 4:38 AM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalstead View Post
This is what happens when HI's just want to sling mud and the other professional industries take over. unless licensed to do so.
Preston's comments are on target. I have posted about this repeatedly.

HI's in Florida have spent all their time trying to limit other license holders. Instead of working together with other license holders to develop a sensible set of Standards. I do not know if this draft will be pushed forward. But, if HI's want to remain competitive in the State, their organizations better get it together. Stop focusing on limiting other license holders.

The new definition of a Conspector: A multi licensed inspector who is unlimited in what he/she can inspect.

Your Home Inspection & Wind Mitigation Provider
Jay C. Murray
Florida Home & Insurance Inspector Chapter Board Member
Licensed General Contractor & Home Inspector
Serving Port St. Lucie, Ft. Pierce, Stuart, Palm City, Jensen Beach,
The Palm Beaches, & The Treasure Coast
Old 4/27/13, 6:39 AM

10. The presence of any environmental hazards including, but not limited to fungi, molds, toxins, carcinogens.

So if you see mold just keep moving! You are not qualified to say mold is present. You are a lowely HI. Comical stuff here. I guess we'll be using the word "APPEARS" a lot.

Also I think the first line is the most insulting of all. Home inspectors shall not.........sounds like the ten commandments or something.

Paul Maggiore, CPI, CGC

Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/27/13, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshishilla View Post
Then I should change the title, If you want to check for recalls, you must use Nathan's service.
Or,
Recall search
Or, More recalls
Or, government recalls

John, Do you know who wrote this? I'd like to have a chat with him, but first, I'll need to know what length of 2 x 4 I'll need to bring.
Old 4/27/13, 8:32 AM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Just ask the legislators if they would like to have their next home inspected to these standards

Maybe we should create 2 inspections 1 with current standards and 1 with the bs standards posted, should be a no Brainer and an eye opener

Bungalows to Mansions
Professional Inspection Services, LLC

Bruce M. Graham III, CMI

Gainesville, FL 32608
352 871 8989

Florida Licensed Home Inspector #HI10
CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR
Certified Level II Infrared Thermographer
Radon Measurment Technician # R2279
NACHI05091592
ICC 5268478
www.BungalowstoMansions.com