Go Back   InterNACHI Inspection Forum > >

Notices

Florida Home Inspectors This is a place for Florida InterNACHI inspectors to discuss Florida home inspection topics, wind mitigation inspections and 4-point inspections. Become a home inspector in Florida

Old 4/27/13, 2:26 PM
Certified Master Inspector ®

Default Re: Recall Check will not be permitted in Florida

I wish they would I've said that before as well. I get work based on who I know and what i've done and how I advertise not because of an asinine piece of paper.

I wish the government would completely stay out of peoples business.

Enjoy you license and wear it proudly you wanted it you got it. congrats.

<div align=center>
Quality Control Consultants. Pre-Purchase Building and Home Consultations
FLORIDA LICENSED GENERAL CONTRACTOR & CERTIFIED MASTER INSPECTOR
Call 954-922-0584 or E-Mail Me For The Best Consultations or Inspections in Florida.
mike@meekerindustries.com
http://www.meekerindustries.com
Also Check out these two great sites below for a HEALTHIER LIFE !
mikemeeker.towergarden.com & mikemeeker.juiceplus.com
Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/27/13, 2:32 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by staylor7 View Post
While your logic may be sound, the current draft language devalues the professional home inspector and the home inspection profession. The language favors the minimalist home inspector, the Realtor, Contractor, Glazing industry, and every other special interest. The language allows the minimalist home inspector to hide behind the language in an effort to reduce liability exposure. This minimalist approach will drive the competent and professional inspectors from the profession as they will not want to compromise their values, ethics, and professional fees to compete with the minimalist. So much for consumer protection (which is what the stated intent of home inspector licensing )
My comments were "tongue in cheek" and you are 100% correct! I suspect that was it's purpose and always has been. I also believe that IF this goes through this will prove to be a case study for "unintended consequences" down the road for those who pushed for this. Advise for those folks is, "be careful what you wish for, you just might get it!"

Why would a customer even hire a HI once they learn the HI can provide little usable information because of the constraints placed on them by this piece of legislation....answer is, they won't.

The alternative is the the customer will have to hire separate contractors for each and every system within the home because they each hold the license for that discipline. Licensing isn't what caused this.....really piss poor licensing is another story.
Now you know the real reason for all the DBPR foot dragging that has plagued the FL Home inspection licensing since the beginning.

Old 4/27/13, 2:37 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI) ®

We can get the real estate agents on our side. They don't want us to use moisture meters?

Ok, do they want every little water mark called out as unknown? Moisture meters not only prove there is a problem they also can prove there is NOT a problem.

I think Nick was forwarded the info and he has no problem with it. Keep it like it is.

He can do as he likes and some may like the new proposals to keep everything to a minimum.

I do know out of 7000 if we can get just 5% to go to Tallahassee it would make an impression. What home inspector drafted this?

Looks like the money we spent on the lobbyist sucked, apparently he is useless and nick says its ok.

Decision time guys. Fight or get lube...choice is yours.

For me I am getting my contractors license or hiring one...gotta have all my bases covered. For those waiting for someone else....it's decision time....

Tick tock....tick tock....

Comprehensive Building Consultants
Naples Home Inspection, Naples Mold Inspection, Naples Radon Inspection, Bonita Springs Home Inspection, Bonita Springs Mold Inspection, Bonita Springs Radon Inspection.

Old 4/27/13, 2:46 PM

Lol....hell yea contractors will be able to do it all.

For years now we have been warning about this. No one cared, Nick has us covered. LMAO...funny thing is when I went to Tallahassee, there we more contractors fighting for home inspectors, than home inspectors...

O well...

Naples Home Inspection, Naples Mold Inspection, Naples Radon Inspection, Bonita Springs Home Inspection, Bonita Springs Mold Inspection, Bonita Springs Radon Inspection.

Old 4/27/13, 2:48 PM
InterNACHI Member

Here is an interesting tidbit:

I have reviewed the “rules” for other licensed professions such as contractors, architects, building code inspectors, and hair dressers, and can find no language in their rules that proactively describes actions or practices that are “beyond the scope” of their respective licenses. Perhaps I am missing the language in their rules? If not, I am curious as to why the home inspector rules would have the beyond the scope language? Hmm?

Steve Taylor
Taylor Inspection Services, Inc.
Atlantic Beach Florida 32233
904-247-6700
www.taylorinspectionservices.com
Old 4/27/13, 2:58 PM

Lmao....ummmmm because a home inspector never wrote this...why are we seeing it so late in the game? That's Wayne....what was it about $75000 over the years at least. Money well spent.

I personally think he should be sued for lack of performance

Old 4/27/13, 3:02 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthornberry View Post
Kind of solves all the licensing restrictions if you're a GC doesn't it?

Almost makes you think a GC drafted this after they were all given inspection licenses perhaps. Where's Chandler? Lol
Yep.

HI's were spending all there time fighting amongst themselves. Wasting energy trying to force the CILB (Construction Industry Licensing Board) made up of contractors, to allow HI's to hire emplyees to do inspections. The list goes on.

Personally, I do not think this draft will be the final measure. It would be very bad for the industry and the consumer.

Your Home Inspection & Wind Mitigation Provider
Jay C. Murray
Florida Home & Insurance Inspector Chapter Board Member
Licensed General Contractor & Home Inspector
Serving Port St. Lucie, Ft. Pierce, Stuart, Palm City, Jensen Beach,
The Palm Beaches, & The Treasure Coast
Old 4/27/13, 3:10 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray4 View Post
Yep.

HI's were spending all there time fighting amongst themselves. Wasting energy trying to force the CILB (Construction Industry Licensing Board) made up of contractors, to allow HI's to hire emplyees to do inspections. The list goes on.

Personally, I do not think this draft will be the final measure. It would be very bad for the industry and the consumer.
Either I am confused or you are confused with your second sentence above regarding the CILB. The CILB does not regulate home inspectors. Why would home inspectors be trying to force an entity (CILB) to allow something for which they have no jurisdiction? Please clarify.

Steve Taylor
904-247-6700
Old 4/27/13, 3:12 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhensel View Post

...funny thing is when I went to Tallahassee, there we more contractors fighting for home inspectors, than home inspectors...

O well...
I was there as well. In the middle of the meeting regarding the 1802. Some HI gets up and wants to complain about the "unfair trade practices" that allow GC to hire employees.

Your Home Inspection & Wind Mitigation Provider
Jay C. Murray
Florida Home & Insurance Inspector Chapter Board Member
Licensed General Contractor & Home Inspector
Serving Port St. Lucie, Ft. Pierce, Stuart, Palm City, Jensen Beach,
The Palm Beaches, & The Treasure Coast
Old 4/27/13, 3:19 PM

Guys. Let stay on message and focused....please

Old 4/27/13, 3:20 PM

Steve if there is a plan of action. What is it?

Old 4/27/13, 3:23 PM
Certified Professional Inspector (CPI)

Once again Bushart is right.

Licensing solves nothing.

As a Professional Home Inspector, I support the privacy of my clients.

You own your private information. I won't sell or give away yours, others do

www.InspectraPro.com
www.MinnesotaHomeInspector.biz

Michael Larson
Hudson, WI

Services provided in East MN and West WI

Call me

Old 4/27/13, 3:23 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurray4 View Post
I was there as well. In the middle of the meeting regarding the 1802. Some HI gets up and wants to complain about the "unfair trade practices" that allow GC to hire employees.
Actually, that "complaint" or concern is not against contractors as it is against the unfair trade practice. The concern is a legitimate issue. As I suspect you know, FS 627.711 allows contractors and engineers to utilize "unlicensed" employees to perform wind mitigation inspections for their respective companies (small businesses) while denying that right to building code officials, architects, and the lowly home inspector (also small business owners), That advantage affords the contractor and engineer business owner a distinct market advantage over the other small business owners enumerated in the statute. The unfair advantage likely is a violation of the unfair trade practice act. (FS. 501.204): 501.204 Unlawful acts and practices.—
(1) Unfair methods of competition, unconscionable acts or practices, and unfair or deceptive acts or practices in the conduct of any trade or commerce are hereby declared unlawful.
(2) It is the intent of the Legislature that, in construing subsection (1), due consideration and great weight shall be given to the interpretations of the Federal Trade Commission and the federal courts relating to s. 5(a)(1) of the Federal Trade Commission Act, 15 U.S.C. s. 45(a)(1) as of July 1, 2006.

Your perception of home inspectors complaining against the contractors is an inaccurate assessment.

Steve Taylor
904-247-6700
Need a home inspection in Maryland? Check out InterNACHI's listing of Maryland certified home inspectors. Or, find a home inspector anywhere in the world with our inspection search engine.
Old 4/27/13, 3:28 PM
InterNACHI Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhensel View Post
Steve if there is a plan of action. What is it?
I don't want to discuss any plans of action in the public forum. I do believe that we have some recourse if we can get organized and follow through on some initiatives to block the rule from adoption or at least postpone it until the offensive language is removed.

Steve Taylor
904-247-6700
Old 4/27/13, 3:31 PM
Community Guest

(b) All persons licensed under RSA 310-A shall be considered to have knowledge of the existence of the code of ethics pursuant to RSA 310-A:185 and shall be deemed to be familiar with its provisions. Such knowledge shall encompass the understanding that the practice of home inspection is a privilege, as opposed to a right, and the licensee shall be forthright and candid in the licensee's statements or written response to the board or its representatives on matters pertaining to professional conduct

this is one of my favorites, from our lic law, a privilege not a right, if you folks have time go to nh joint board.gov and read the whole thing