reinforced gable ends

Hello all,

Had a question today weather insurance companies offer
any type of discounts for reinforced gable ends.

My guess is no, per form 1802.

Any info?

Thanks in advance.

No as far as I know. Not on form any more :frowning:

Thanks Meeker!

Anytime :slight_smile:

What areas do you cover?

East Central FL

Cool, always good to know where others work :slight_smile:

Now that I have your attn, would you recommend consulting a certified GC for a gable end greater than 4 feet high, for possible gable reinforcement on a gable end that is not reinforced, and in or close to HVWZ?
Thanks

The reason I’m asking is I’ve seen older homes with poor anchorage and the studs that form and brace the sheathing on the gable end are positioned flat against the wall at the weakest point.
Thanks in advance.
I appreciate all that reply

If they have the money to spend :slight_smile: If not rely on insurance. Depends on how old structure is how long it has lasted what it has been thru. Nothing will save it from the tornado’s that occur during the storm that are not identified. “maximum gusts and such” Little micro storms that get in the right spot at the right time going the right way.

What I am saying is if I had a house and it was already in place I do not believe I would spend the money to do it.

Just my 2 cents.

Building something new I would use block and not worry as much. Building new I would use the latest and greatest technology if I could afford to.

My opinion on new construction is to always use the best methods and products you can afford. I would build less to make it better in the long run.

I am different than most who want as much as they can get for as little as possible. I do not see that as being the right way to do much of anything. But then again I am far different than most folks.

thanks again

I saw that first hand also Mike. For about a year after Hurricane Andrew I worked from the Perrine, Cutler Ridge area all the way down to Homestead. There was paths cut through neighborhoods about 100’ feet wide that not a tree, building, or anything was left standing other than twisted pieces of rebar coming out of slabs.

Tornadoes inside the storm with wind speeds at least 300 mph.

After seeing that my advice to anyone with a cat 5 storm coming your way: Get the hell out no matter how well your home was built.