Rock Lath Roof Deck

I learned something today :smiley:

I did not know they even used to use that on roofs. It has held up very well I think it was 2 sheets thick.

I guess they will not be getting that credit.

Was this a multi family residence?

Nope, a real old house In Miami.

It is accepted for under siding also but on a roof it seems that could be a safety issue.
Would it be safe to walk on?
Drywall seems like mold food to me also,plus are the shingles nailed in?(how tight would that be)?

All I can say is it did not look deteriorated at all from the hatch and looked and felt pretty solid.Tile was in solid shape as well.

That old school. Ive seen it in Ft lauderdale. There a special name for it, I cant remember.

It was built in 1945. I heard some rumor that there was a wood shortage or something back then due to the war or housing boom after it but i have not looked into it.

The locals have a name for it…ill remember to jot it down next time

Sackett board

Man, if they ever re tile the roof?? Sure wouldn’t want to be the unsuspecting supply house that stacks new tile up there for a re-roofing job, there going to end up in the living room.

It seemed pretty solid and did not appear to be deteriorated from all I saw.

I don’t think so, after all,someone got the roof covering materials up there the first, or more, time.
Mike,
What type of roof covering was present, tile or shingle?
I would imagine that originally, it was a mud-down, barrel tile roof.

It was a mud-down, barrel tile roof. It was not frail and only had a few repairs along the edge of a added flat area. Most of it was original.

As I figured. Probably the best roof made.

Thats really amazing. It just goes to show that the quality and cratsmanship years ago was far superior to todays standards. At least in some areas. can you imagine this system installed today? probably wouldn’t last just due to the craftsmanship.

It is hard to tell, but it looks like the beams are 16" on center as opposed to 24" today.

That type of structure rarely has problems, except for termites. The house pictured below was built in 1956. One inch tongue and groove decking.