Roof Cert ...OMG

Client called needing a roof cert, upon further conversation I found out that the appraiser has signed off on the repairs… uhmmm
What a bandaid…

This is becoming a major problem with appraisers. Due to pressure from lending institutions, appraisers have been overstepping their licensing scope by doing “mini inspections”. We will need to work on this issue " legislatively" to get appraisers out of the inspection business.

Hey as long as it doesn’t rain that shold be fine.

Anybody got a rubber ducky:D
Chris, Congrats on the birth of your little girl, tell Stacey it’s OK to stay home:D:D

Problem is, we inspectors work for the buyer. The appraiser works for the lender and is engaged by the lender/mortgage company. The question I get mostly after inspection and the appraiser is done is " can you say the roof has an estimate of life left after repairs of 8-10 years?" Obviously our standards only allow us to quote estimated age, not life expectancy.

Why can’t you quote a typical life expectancy? I can. It’s called experience, ,there is no mathematical equation and it varies from geographical regions. But one thing yo can’t take away is seeing these things day after day.

The reason appraisers can tell life expectancies is because they are not experienced in this field. Just like I can’t tell how long a damaged kidney will typically last…but a kidney doctor can…

As Mr. Taylor said…this should be addressed within the legislative realm…

I am 100% sure appraisers do not want us to evaluate a homes worth… Which makes sense, because I am not trained in that nor do I want to do that…but I do feel that every profession that takes pop shots at use should get them right back…

If they feel our professionas are so close…then let’s take some of their pie and see how things shape up…I say we go on offense and let them try and defend their profession for a while…

Russ, I am with you. It is time for ALL home inspectors in Florida to stand up and be counted. We need to take the fight to the other professions and that will stop them from trying to encroach on ours.

You guys sure keep things interesting :slight_smile:

Well, I sit on both sides of the fence. I can tell you this, appraisers do not want to be in the inspection business, and we are not. We as home inspectors work for our clients be it buyers, lenders, attorneys, etc. What we as appraisers do is not an inspection, but we do let the lenders know if the home is worth lending on in value (including visual condition as the condition effects value). And as far as the FHA or VA inspections, we are well trained on exactly what these 2 agencies are looking for, nothing more, nothing less. Don’t kid yourself, look up what we have to do to get certified. Way more than anything I had to do here at Nachi. Getting a home inspection license was very easy (just cost money, but was easy as pie). Basically, you would have to do a “ride along” for 2 years minimum, log every single hour (specific form) including (address, client, hours to complete, signed, dated, submitted to DBPR and audited) and have a college degree before you could take the state exam. If you ride along with someone everyday, 8 hours a day for 2 years, you would know how to inspect a home properly. In appraising, we have principles, practices and standards we have to follow. Home inspection is in its infancy and quite frankly is like the wild, wild west.

Home inspectors need to stop attacking (complaining about) every industry (REALTORS, contractors, appraisers and whoever else is the flavor of the month) and just portrait themselves as professionals. If you don’t act as a professional, the public will not see this as a profession.

Jump on an appraiser forum, accounting forum, REALTOR forum or any other professional forum for that matter and you will not see this type of attitude as is seen throughout the Nachi forum.

Again, these forums should be moderated so the public searching on google don’t see all this crap. Makes me sick.

As the bailouts of the Banks evidenced,…

For Appraisers…

College Degrees,
Apprenticeships…
Continuing Education…
Hours and Years of Service…

Did not prevent them from missing the actual valuations of the Real Estate market in prior years…
Not talking “what if”
we all know what happened…

Worth repeating

It wasn’t the appraisers that made the economy rise or fall. My values were always correct and supported by documentation. Appraised values are a snapshot in time, not a guarantee of future value.
It was the banks that were offering 0% down financing, with balloons in 5 years or the negative am schedule loans or the 125% to value loans or the no doc loans etc. that did the damage.

Let me ask you this, If I valued a home in 2006 for $150k and it reached a value of $225k in 2007 and the bank gave them a HELOC for the $75k without an appraisal and is foreclosed on in 2010 for $85k. How is that the appraisers fault? Are you saying that appraiser should have valued that home in 2006 for $85k? When every home around it was selling for $150K? In Florida, our values are the same as back in the late 90’s. I guess all the appraisals that were done before the big rise and fall are to blame as well? Give me a break, lol.

Sure, there were some bad apples in appraising, but not enough to shut down the entire economy throughout the entire US/World. It’s no different then the HI’s that don’t want to be a deal breaker or the ones that write soft reports to keep their pocketed REALTORS business or the ones that pay to be on a list or the ones that do repairs on the home or the ones that step outside their expertise and say things like “this homes not worth it, you should buy a different one”, etc…

I’m just saying, why all the animosity against all the other professions? I as an appraiser never bashed an HI for doing his job or an engineer, landscaper, contractor, architect, who else am I missing that HI’s don’t like?

HI’s finally get recognized as professionals and instantly start acting as non professionals. I don’t get it. Bashing every other profession just makes us as a profession look bad.

HI’s finally get recognized as professionals and instantly start acting as non professionals. I don’t get it. Bashing every other profession just makes us as a profession look bad.
Worth repeating

I whole heartedly agree!