Roof Deck attachement, how would you rate this?

Just did a wind mit on a home with a new roof. 7/16" OSB decking ad trusses 16" OC. On 3 trusses a number of nails missed the truss. As far as I could see the rest were Okay with one or two missed in other areas.

The trusses I checked had nailing about 4" OC. Would you give it credit for roof deck attachment?

Don’t know what happened to the photos.

Looks like nobody wants to touch this one. I can tell you that if reinspected, the RDA will become “A”. It’s your call, but I would definitely notify the owner so he can call his roofer back.

Good advice.

I would agree with pointing it out to the owner. With that being said you should look very closely to see if they renailed after missing, sometimes you can tell. If you ever shot a nail gun and missed a truss I can tell you from experience that you can with out question tell and almost always it is renailed. I would have a hard time giving an “A” for a couple of trusses showing missed nails. Sometimes it takes a little more time.

Th Preston.

I agree with Preston. It would take a great deal more than a few nails for me to rate it as an A.

I agree as a past framing carpenter (back in the day---- and just in case Russ reads this —yes they had nail guns back then ;-)) If it got missed it got re-nailed. Per Preston look for the evidence and I as well would have a hard time with marking A but I am sure a re-inspector would not :wink:

You might want to check with the building department. Every official I have spoken with stated that the old nails had to be removed.
Answering the question on the form:

Roof Deck Attachment: What is the weakest form of roof deck attachment?

E. Other: Improperly nailed roof decking.

This document may come in handy: http://www.magnuminspections.com/PDF/proper_installation_of_apa_rated_sheathing_for_roof_appliactions.pdf
Nowhere does it say to nail into thin air…

Not sure I understand Eric but thats ok. A few answers here offer real lfe experience.

What’s not to understand?
I think we can all agree that it is improperly nailed. Now, those that say “it may have been nailed after they knew they missed”, if they knew they missed the trusses when nailing, then, they should also know the remedy. Which, is removing the missed nails. Furthermore, how are you going to prove that they re-nailed the deck after they knew they missed. By looking to see if a nail is present where the plywood meets the truss? And, by using that method, you can determine nail size and length?

It is yet another example of a mistake on the form…again…

Roof Deck Attachment: What is the** weakest form of roof deck attachment?**

Home was built in 1971 with 3/4 inch plywood and 6D nails every 12 inches.
Same home was re-roofed in 2008 and the deck was re-nailed using 8D nails every 6 inches.

What are you going to mark on the form? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One other thing about the missed nails, I asked the head cheese from Citizens about this scenario: After doing a wind mit on a home and using your definition of shiners, and noting that the roof had been re-nailed using 8D nails every six inches, say said roof flies off during a high wind event. Are you going to cover the roof as it was improperly installed? The response was, “You aren’t doing a code inspection”!

if you dont see any nails from underneath, it may not be nailed either. theres always the chance an area is missed all together.

1 Like

Just ran into this issue with a re-roof with 7 or 8 different areas with more than 5-6 missed nails.

The internachi Wind Mitigation course gave me a clear answer. SEE BELOW

“AVERAGE NUMBER OF MISSED NAILS”

The inspector should look at all visible top cords of the rafter or truss for missed nails. If there is an AVERAGE of 4 or more splitting or missed (shiners) nails per 4-foot section the inspector should mark “E: Other” and add an explanation."

Looks like you posted my picture. This thread is from years ago.

Is that photo in the course? Using an unreadable 6" measuring device is probably not the best example. The misspelling should also be corrected in the course material…“cord” (chord).

One reason I stopped working with them on the class, I would give updates and they would not be corrected in the class or they would add irrelevant information. It got very frustrating. That is why I didn’t want to do the videos, if you remember.

I do wish that course would be updated. I’m surprised Dennis hasn’t revamped it. Oh well, I don’t do politics either.:cool: