This roof hip?

Never seen this before, wondering what everyone thinks. Is this hip, if not, why?

Rest of home is completely hip, this area in the back has a raised portion. At its largest it is still less than 18" from the rest of the surface.

Traverse.dll.jpg

Obviously the pink lines will not be included in the HIP calculation because they are inside the perimeter of the building. So the question is, should the uncolored lines (18,3) in the top & center of the diagram be considered hip? or something else? In reality I don’t believe the 18" of raised roof really affect the envelope of the building and the way wind should flow over it. As well, the 18,3 uncolored lines are at the same height off the ground on the edge, as the rest of the roof perimeter.

Traverse.dll.jpg

Traverse.dll.jpg

Me thinks I see a few gable type shots.

Both sides of that are non-hip.

Measure the areas you are questioning as non-hip then calculate your percentage.

That is a type of return similar to a dormer. I would only measure the rakes as gable and the rest as hip. Then calculate.

Measure as Reese has suggested. In the end calculation it will likely end up hip. Do not measure the legnth of the rake just the span over a flat plane. Good question.

The home looks small (house next store looks awful close in first pic), with approx, 30 courses of shingles @ 5" each (12ft) times 2, the home perimeter should be 240+ sqft to qualify for hip. If the home isn’t 2,500+ sqft, it’s not gonna make hip.

Marshall says non-hip…but he had to measure it!

Traverse.dll.jpg

Guess I should have included this to begin with, was in a rush and forgot. Obviously the pink lines will not be included in the HIP calculation because they are inside the perimeter of the building. So the question is, should the uncolored lines (18,3) in the top & center of the diagram be considered hip? or something else? In reality I don’t believe the 18" of raised roof really affect the envelope of the building and the way wind should flow over it. As well, the 18,3 uncolored lines are at the same height off the ground on the edge, as the rest of the roof perimeter.

Counted as non hip. Reality does not come into play here. Only thing that counts is how the insurance industry is going to look at it, unless of course, someone wants to challenge it with the OIR or in court.

The 18+3+overhang is hip, the 4+6 on each side of the raised roof section is gable, for a total of about 20 LF non-hip. Don’t forget to add overhangs on the hip measurements.

But isn’t the 4,6 inside of the buildings perimeter? Thus it should not be taken into account when factoring hip length vs non-hip length in total building perimeter.

Things that make you go hmmmmm.

Great new form we have huh :slight_smile:

I agree with Preston

All the measurements are up there now. I would like to see what other people come up with for their conclusions and why. Maybe see if we all can come to a consensus :slight_smile: I already know what I came up with and what I filled out on the form. Just thought it might be interesting to put this on here to help educate others because I know I have never seen a shape like this. Haven’t seen anyone with a definitive reply yet except Clint. But that was before the numbers were put up.

Hips have no rakes. Gables have rakes. All of the eaves on this roof + all of the rakes on this roof should be totaled. Measure the lengths of the two rakes, then divide by the total.

You are thinking of building perimeter which surrounds the outside footprint. There can be more than one ROOF perimeter which is the total roof perimeter. Here is the breakdown according to your drawing and including overhangs on the hip sections.

Total non-hip = 20 LF
Total roof perimeter = 222 LF Hip + 20 LF NH = 242 LF
20/242 = 8% non-hip
Roof shape = HIP

By definition there can be only one perimeter.

And the perimeter I came up with was 214 feet.
so if the 15 +6+4 is going to be used, then non-hip.
If just the 6+4+4 is going to be used, then hip.

the perimeter numbers I used are:24+20+6+25+28+13+4+18+3+4+11+9+4+12+10+23=214

A picture from the peak of the roof looking down would be helpful.

Does that really make sense to you. What are going to do with a second story room addition, inside the building footprint, with its own roof line? Are you just going to leave it out? That will get you a do over. How do you handle dutch hips? If you count the gable portions as non-hip, you then you have to also incude those measurements into the total. You can’t have a percentage of a total, if you don’t include all measurements in the total…basic math class.