Roof OK?

I am posting this here as it will directly affect Florida inspectors, possibly others.

Two years ago, I did an inspection for a client and failed the roof. He bought the home and is now in the process of putting a new tile roof on the house. This individual is very particular about how things are done on his home and he called me asking about things to look for during the re-roof.

What would anyone viewing (inspectors) say about this installation using the pictures below?
The roof is in the dry-in phase and inspections are being done by the city today.

I would also be curious about anyones input as this pertains to a wind mitigation inspection.

I would request him to hire me to verify that the plywood was re-nailed w/8p @ 4" o.c., as req’d b4 they put the felt and start hot-mopping. That would be irrefutable evidence of re-nailing combined w/pics of missed nails. Also it’s a perfect time to correct any bad single wraps or clips and to photograph them.

S FL is a huge area. Can you be more specific as to your location?

How was that nailed before. Are those all misses?

If all misses then that’s a problem. If it is nailed to death and secured every 6 inches then all is OK. Make sure the roofer attaches a letter stating what he did and attach it to the form.

It is a re-roof. Originally, it was nailed properly for when the home was built, 1988.

As I said, it has been inspected by the city and I know the results. I was just wondering what others would do, if they saw this at an inspection.

I am in Broward county.
I instructed my client to take pictures of the attic and show them to the inspector, which he did.
I told him if he wanted me to come out, I would but he could accomplish the same thing for free.

One of the issues with regards to the wind mits is that the underwriters want a picture showing the nails. The building code and the APA deck nailing guidelines say different.

Another shining example of why the picture requirements are WRONG as is.

Since I am off to do an inspection, I’ll end the suspense for everyone.

From my Client:

He failed it and thanked me for helping him

Says all shiners need to be removed, every last one.

Said insurance would condemn the roof and deny coverage.

You should use my photos or come take some to advertise your services

Thanks again for everything

Kind of seems like I have been right when I say I have houses where I do not see them.

ATTENTION - O I R:

CHANGE THE MISTAKE YOU MADE BY REQUIRING THE PHOTOS. Remove that line from the next form as soon as possible.

I think the picture requirement was either an accident or a little more sinister in nature.

You are required to take a picture of the nail… which is a code violation. Then, when the roof comes off the house, wonder if the insurance company will cover it?:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One or two missed nails would have a minimal impact on wind damage - however, I would think whole rows of misses as seen in this example would be an entirely different matter.

And it will be soon on the new form. Citizens is looking closely at this issue.

The fact is the insurance companies are using those photos for a million things other than wind mits.

If they want a photographer then they should hire one.

I will be glad to accommodate them for an appropriate fee :slight_smile:

The insurers conveniently overlook the fact that some AHJs or individual AHJ inspectors DEMAND that all misses be backed out prior to approving the nailing pattern inspection!

That only works if they look in the attic. Most roof inspectors never set foot inside ah home. At leas down here they dont.

And that is why I instructed my client to make sure the city inspector went on the roof and in the attic.
The roofer is reportedly looking for that “a**hole home inspector” who told the homeowner what to look for. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Pete, That is exactly what is happening in this case.

I guess forty or fifty rows would be excessive! :wink: :wink:

Eric,

Don’t let those pics get in the hands of the insurance peeps they may not write it for the dryer duct not terminated in the goose neck! :wink:

That would be the bathroom vent fan line which the roofers thoughtfully went right over!

If it were the dryer line, then it would have to be changed…

Great job… Send your client an “Overseeit”](http://overseeit.com/) invoice. You just saved him a ton of money not to mention serious headaches in the future.

By definition!!

The homeowner called me to do a wind mitigation inspection and to check the roof. I also met with the city inspector and he thanked me for alerting the homeowner to the problems.
And now…on to the remedy…still a little work to be done!

How are they going to patch that. Shouldn’t they have pulled up more of the paper? And who now pays for all of the water that has leaked into the home.