Screen cage question

Please note in the picture it appears that screen splining is missing/not installed in numerous areas and I personally think it compromises the integrity of the cage and the install.

Does anyone know where I can find Florida information on this. Sellers are questioning my report and would like to give them a place I can professionally refer them to. Thanks in advance

If the area you are referring to are the “X” braces, it doesn’t need to be there.
If you are talking about the center brace, it may not be needed there either as the channels that run front to back appear to be adequate.

I would call it a poor install, but not related to the structure, formally installing them for a living. The structure should be fine.

Extra stuff for potential “Snow Load” !

You know, global warming…

As I have NO experience other than having had screen enclosures in the past I am asking to learn.

Wouldn’t it be structurally stronger if all were splined? Not necessarily necessary but better?

In other words how would you do it if it were yours?

I spline most of mine only to hold the screen better. It is very common to not spline many sections. With the engineer you mileage may vary. I would say if you are relying on screen and spline for support you may want to add additional framing members.

Thanks. I will keep that in mind if I ever get another screen enclosure. :slight_smile:

My concern would be that when high winds come would a large screen only held down in a couple places be more susceptble to lifing off. Wouldn’t a large one peice screen be more wind restrictive than a small screen?

I would be more concerned with it blowing out because of the missing spline.

I’m not a screen expert but it looks like most I look at

The screen itself, in most newer enclosures anyway, has nothing to do with the structure. Looking at the picture, it appears as though they used splines on the front to back runs and then, on the ends. If the screen was placed properly, as you insert the spline, it “tightens” the screen. If you were to try and add some splines, it either wouldn’t fit in the grooves or would tear the screen.

The enclosures themselves are strong enough, that, and perhaps John can add to this as he has probably done it this way, you can walk on the beams to install the splines. I saw a couple of guys that rescreened an entire enclosure in an hour! They just rolled out the screen, one guy did one side, the other guy did the other side and they just went right across the screen.
They must have worked in the circus!

On the other hand, when I replaced all of my screens after Wilma, I used some 2 x 12 x 10s so I didn’t end up in my pool…or concrete deck!

Hey Russell,
give kevin a call http://www.screendoctorsllc.com/contactus.htm

Bruce…thanks.I appreciate that very much and everyones help and I will post what he tells me.

Would be a great article…how to inspect creen enclosures or Lanai’s as they are called down here.

I agree with Eric… The screen has nothing to do with the structural integrity of the cage. The corner bracing, gussets, angle braces at the frame studs, the tie down bolts all are important. Screen splined in or not splined in is all about the bugs and speaks to the quality of the installers and attention to detail.

Russell try this link to the Aluminum Association of Florida Inc. You may be able to download their manual from here…
http://www.aaof.org/main/page_downloads.html

I would add that if the winds are high enough to remove portions of the screening as installed, there will likely be damage to it anyway due to wind borne debris.

Russ,
I see it both ways here in Citrus. The ones that are done as separate panels tend to be “shop built” and the ones done in strips as you pictured tend to be “site built”. Couldn’t tell you if there’s any thing “wrong” code wise with the strip method but I can tell you I’d rather have separate panels and won’t let my screen subs do it any other way.

Doing each panel would be preferable, especially on a golf course where repairs to individual screens would probably be necessary on a monthly basis. Short of that, the method used in the picture is acceptable.

Now, if you did get a tear in one “square”, replacing that screen would not be difficult as at that time, you would spline the ends that you cut.

I checked with my favorite screen subs, they all agree it’s not a code violation just poor workmanship. They say they see it done that way on re screens a lot more often then on original work.
One note they also said trying to spline the ends as suggested above doesn’t usually work because the screen is almost always too weathered to take the stretching by that time.

Thanks all…So awesome people get involved…

Thanks again…