Shiners

For the record; can anyone educate me on any publications from insurance carriers the requirement for reporting and taking pics of 4 shiners in a 4’ run on a truss.
Thanks in advance

Are they trying to build a case for denying 8D RDA?

No, I had this question asked and searched for an answer in publications I’m familiar with and couldn’t find anything that required it. Just wanted others to share their knowledge if they were aware of any directive.

I am not aware of ANY insurance carrier publications with this info… except maybe Citizens… but it would be an internal memo and not public.

What is a shiner?

A shiner is an exposed nail in the attic where the carpenter missed the truss. We are required to take a pic of it to show what size nail was used for the roof deck.

This is the only time I have seen this condition referenced also. It was/is a re-inspection guideline.

I remember the good ole days when a shiner was some of the best Bass bait you could use :slight_smile:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/images/fish_marine_images/goldshiner.gif

A shiner in England is a black eye…

I’ve seen that type as well :slight_smile:

Thanks Greg :slight_smile:

Back in the day…and if I did this, I’d have been fired…

Those are the ones that hurt my head

Yep, that is a nail that happened to fall out of the framers pouch. I have seen previous inspectors mark roofing nail spacing in between the trusses as the “Field” spacing…got a chuckle out of that.

He was spacing the sheathing…Maybe.
Any H-clips shown ?

That is exactly what he was doing as I did it way back in the 80s that way. Part of my job was to remove those nails after the decking was nailed.

No .
I just did my CE and in the Wind Mit section…
If it wasn’t documented during roofing there is no way to tell if they are 8D ring shank with full round heads . Unless you can get to one and pull it out.

That is not how any framer would provide spacing without H-clips. That nail was hanging in between the seams…nothing to hold it there until the other sheet is placed (it just fell in there from above). Spacing nails would be half driven into the truss to hold it there.

Then they must have been really sloppy as there were about 100 plus of them!
I am sure you are aware, plywood isn’t exactly perfectly square.

You would slide the plywood down tight, move it up, place the nails in the joint, then let the plywood slide down on the two nails. You could then “roll” the decking side to side to get it where it needed to be on the trusses, spaced away from the previous piece of plywood.

What do I know…I only did it for 2 years…:roll:

Another roofer I know used to use nickels, the employees nickels, on the beams as you stated above. Back in those days, a nickel was a lot! :wink:

Rookie:D