Skylights

The inside of my house contains 2 skilights. However I have a screened in porch, and my front door has an overhang that contains Skylights.

Do the skylights that are for all sense and purposes outside needs to be impact glass?

The form says to check all boxes that apply. so, unless your skylight is laying on the ground or inside your shed, yes, it needs to be rated to get a credit for being rated.

I would have to agree with eric but if the roof is not being counted I wouldn’t count the skylight

My problem is even if the skylight were to bust, it would do nothing…

I’m sure everyone is familiar with carports in Florida. Some carports have small walls on the sides with little square holes, sometimes they have windows. Would you require the resident to protect those glazed openings even though they are wide open to the carport? My skylights are the same thing.

Look, I’m trying to get compliant. However spending 7k on all 5 new skylights if I only need 2 would help me a ton. Thats the reason I’m asking questions here. Its going to get to the point where residents are hiring lawyers to fight the inspectors because of things I described above.

I know what the form says, however it doesn’t address situations such as mine, or the carport situation I described above.

I would disagree. If a skylight is over an unenclosed space(outside the home envelope) then there is no reason to cover it.

must be a Florida thing…
We do not see skylights in PA Construction anymore…

And a Skylight directing light to the exterior?
And you paid for that … why?

I agree. It would be like putting an impact window in a break-away wall.

I would disagree, most truss systems span over a unenclosed space, and if that skylight was compromised by a flying object, it would not take much to damage the walls inside that skylight, since most are just framed out and drywall applied to walls. You would then have as much acess to the attic as a gable end does with a vent.

You also have to take into consideration where the opening is shuttered. A lot of them in our area shutter the outside of the vestibule and not the entry door therefore during a storm the unprotected skylight could cause a breach.

A picture of the area would be helpful. If you can’t post one, you could send it to me via e mail.

The carports you speak of are not part of te roof structure in most instances.
From the form:

There is no such exclusion for the skylights:

Therefore, I would have to say that if you have a skylight, it is going to have to be rated or you won’t get credit for it. That would go for the window as well.
I understand what you are saying, but the form doesn’t!:wink:

I get this from the original MSFH program and that version of the form, it is the last time I have seen answers for this. I disagree about the opening because we are rating the opening not the structure, itself. If we are going to rate how the skylight well is made then would should start checking nailing on wall sheathing.

For what it matters…my 2 cents. A picture would probably answer all questions. Is there a cavity between the roof line and ceiling of carport ? Does that cavity allow access into the interior envelope of your house (your attic space of living area ) ?
If not, I’ll tell them to go blow smoke. If it does, your need to protect it.
just my opinion, i’m not an inspector just a homeowner helping another !

Thanks guys, I’ll post some pictures when I get home.