Smoke alarms, Florida Statue 553.883

1-1-2015 the new law went into effect requiring newly installed or any old alarms being replaced to have 10 year Li Ion non-replaceable battery type alarms installed. Had someone tell me that “9v are ok because these alarms are hard wired”. That is not the way I’m reading the statue, to me it says nothing about hardwired, but does allow 9v (or other battery type) for systems which are “centrally monitored or supervised”. Any thoughts? Here is the Statue…

Florida Statue 553.883 One-family and two-family dwellings and townhomes undergoing a repair, or a level 1 alteration as defined in the Florida Building Code, may use smoke alarms powered by 10-year nonremovable, nonreplaceable batteries in lieu of retrofitting such dwelling with smoke alarms powered by the dwelling’s electrical system. Effective January 1, 2015, a battery-powered smoke alarm that is newly installed or replaces an existing battery-powered smoke alarm must be powered by a nonremovable, nonreplaceable battery that powers the alarm for at least 10 years. The battery requirements of this section do not apply to a fire alarm, smoke detector, smoke alarm, or ancillary component that is electronically connected as a part of a centrally monitored or supervised alarm system.

Only applies to existing homes undergoing repair or alteration.

Samuel… The way I read it they are offering you the alternative of installing a 10 year battery powered detector instead of installing hardwired (powered by the homes electrical system) detectors.
“may use smoke alarms powered by 10-year nonremovable, nonreplaceable batteries in lieu of retrofitting such dwelling with smoke alarms powered by the dwelling’s electrical system”.
In the interest of public safety it makes sense to get more working smoke detectors installed. Usually when a smoke detector fails to respond it is because of a dead (or missing) battery.
Hard wired and interconnected smoke detectors with battery back up are still the preferred system. 10 year battery (non removable) are cheaper and easier to install (don’t have to pay an electrician).

Only applies to battery operated smoke alarms. Hard wired alarms are not affected by this rule. You may use a 10yr battery only alarm in lieu of hard wired for level 1 alterations.

One-family and two-family dwellings and townhomes undergoing a repair, or a level 1 alteration as defined in the Florida Building Code, may use smoke alarms powered by 10-year nonremovable, nonreplaceable batteries in lieu of retrofitting such dwelling with smoke alarms powered by the dwelling’s electrical system. **Effective January 1, 2015, a battery-powered smoke alarm that is newly installed **or replaces an existing battery-powered smoke alarm must be powered by a nonremovable, nonreplaceable battery that powers the alarm for at least 10 years. The battery requirements of this section do not apply to a fire alarm, smoke detector, smoke alarm, or ancillary component that is electronically connected as a part of a centrally monitored or supervised alarm system.
So this doesn’t apply to hard wired alarms?

:cool:

Thanks!