First stand-alone wind mit inspection

Well I had my first stand alone wind mit inspection and I have a few questions. Before I went to the house I did a permit search and found that the roof was replaced in 93’ but when I got to the house the roof appeared to serviceable with a little granular loss but self adhesive strips still functioning well. I thought the roof was maybe 10-15 years old and was probably replaced by some owners without recording a permit(not the best part of town). The buyers had a inspection performed with 4pt insurance and the inspector said the roof was 10 years old with 10 years left. In my report I just put the last permit found was in 93’ and now we are having issues with the buyer and insurance. So my question is do you guys just put in your report what the last permit date was for a roof installation? I told the buyer at the inspection that was the only permit I found so she wasnt shocked when I gave her the report. Im surprised the original inspector didn’t perform the wind mit also. This feels like a big pain in the *** for $100

Welcome to HELL. No permit No chance. Put what you find and charge them to do THEIR research for them.

Could you provide a bit more detail on how you performed the permit search? Was it online, phone call, or did you physically walk into the AHJ and ask for a review of the permit history?

The age of the roof covering “should” be considered in the modeling software used by each insurer. Some insurers are doing this, others are not (some insurers do not give “credit” for seam tape used as a SWRB). You have no way of knowing which insurer will be using your report so document what is there and nothing else.

If the roof covering was replaced without a permit, the current building code will apply. The home owner may not be able to attain a permit for the existing roof covering, only the Building Official will make that assessment.

Like I said they are screwed :slight_smile: Robert just says it better :slight_smile:

I just looked it up on https://fasttrack.ocfl.net/OnlineServices/PermitsAllTypes.aspx

Was that the correct thing to do?

Yes and no. Sometimes you get lucky and everything is there and sometimes it is not. No one wants to make a trip to the building department, not for what they usually charge for the inspection, so they throw the verification process back on the client. To me, that is the wrong way to go, thus I don’t due to many stand alone wind mits. Guess its all in how you look at it

Have you compared the results of the online search to an actual visit to the Building Department? Some are really accurate, others are not. I always go to the AHJ and ask for their printout, provide that with your mitigation report. The form asks for this information to be provided under “Note”.

Maybe you weren’t here back then, but our area was decimated in 2004 -2005 by several back to back hurricanes.

Due to that, thousands and thousands of roofs were replaced and many simply skipped permitting (many towns suspended the application or inspection process, but no one cared too much anyway when their roof had already blown off and the tarps start deteriorating…).

Lots of “storm chaser” crews in town here back then, you can spot their work right quick, BTW.
It’s possible you inspected a storm repaired roof from '05 or so, consistent with the age you felt it displayed.

Anyway, you report what you know or what you can validate/prove. That’s it.

Dom.

That would make sense, I was here for that time. So in those situations will the insurance company send someone over to look at it or are they relying on what we put in the report whether or not they decide to insure the buyer or not?

They don’t use the wind mit (typically) to decide to underwrite or not, the 4 point is used for that. With no 1802, the rate may be higher, but it’s an optional program to begin with.

If the UW doesn’t like it, they simply reject it. Another company will likely write a policy; it may cost more, but, who knows.

At the end of the day, I really don’t worry about the insurance aspect at all.

Dom.

Me Neither :slight_smile:
BUT
I find knowing somewhat what might happen because of certain forms ans answers I try to keep my client informed.

I cannot tell you how many times I have GIVEN AWAY $150.00 Because I always ask the client who told you they need a 4 point :slight_smile:

A great majority oof the time some Used House Salesperson or insurance office staff just say goe get a wind mitigation and 4 point inspection.

Many times I can tell instantally when the blanket statement has been used as they ask for it kind of like iI stated above and like it is one inspection.

I then explain the differences between the two because they could not be more different and tell them they NEVER want to offer anyone a 4 point and then I have a new friend for life.

I’m $150 lighter at the end of it all but I get that warm gooey feeling of someone saving money because I took the time to think. The elderly are the normal VICTIMS as I see it. Few give a crap if they need to say all they can or not and just want to expedite the system.

Another keyword you can tell means they are likely dealing with idiots is when they as for the roof mitigation inspection. I have done opening Only Inspections for insurance people who have asked but I believe they were doing their best to combine old and new reports to get the best prices for their clients or the association covered the roof insurance or something.

Also when they ask for wind mit and roof inspection and mean the Citizens Roof Inspection Report they can almost ALWAYS get away without it as long as they have a newer and permitted roof.

I normally get asked for a roof condition report for homes that we have no proof of when it was put on because that inspection is based on the use of a crystal ball and on site observations of the conditions at the time of the inspection.

On question 2 there is a box “no information provided for compliance.” If the roof does indeed look much younger than 24 years then it probably is. Therefore, showing the '93 permit is not the right info. I would check that box and let the guessing fall back onto the 4-point, that is if the insurance company is actually denying coverage due to the age on the WM.

A Wind Mitigation does not determine whether a home can get insurance or not. It just determines how many discounts will be given. A 4pt could determine whether a home gets insurance.

Awesome, thank you for the info. I’ll do that next time.

Mike K is correct in my opinion.