Suspicious Drywall?

2004 Home on it’s second AC system. Evidence of Tainted drywall? Thank you for your input. :slight_smile:

[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH]

[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

6-7-12  C, 071.JPG

6-7-12  C, 072.JPG

Little suspicious, question, is the residence on a well?
Do you have pics of the evap. coil?

No well. The could not access coil.

Curious to know how this comes out. I have one coming up thats on it’s second unit also. Same year

Tough call, if the house was built in the time slot. Usually, 2004-2006 I would include “Fluff” paperwork on toxic sheet-rock.
Is there odor of sulfur?
Might just be water chemical, high RH.
Like I said, tough call.
Would like to hear what others might do as there are always good thoughts on here if you weed through the snafu’s.
Any oxidation on the electrical in the sub-panel?

You expressed my opinion exactly. It’s enough to be curious, but far short of certain. Electrical panel was clean as well as copper on new water heater.

Any other appliances new besides the water heater?

My friends in Port St. Lucie, FL just had to replace a 2004 Rheem a/c system. No CD.

It failed b/c of inferior, shoddy installation practices.

This happens a lot more than most people realize. It is not recognizable by a visual inspection. After the fact, we cannot tell what was or was not done during the install process.

Water heater, 2012. Ac, 2008. Applances and homes general condition is well maintained. However, the 2008 ac was not operatng effectively. 1 degree temperature differential. Coil appeared to be freezing up at the tme of inspection.

It does not look like it to me.

that makes me more suspicious…newer appliances on 2004 house. The AC failing after just 4 years. Seems very fishy to me…

get at drywall backing to read label or pull some outlet covers in various rooms and look at copper.
I think copper will be black rather than just discolored.

I’m sure you’ve seen this Jay, but just in case someone has not…

http://www.chinese-drywall.org/files/Assessing-Chinese-Drywall-101.pdf

I suppose water with high sulfer content could be the culprit if no other evidence exists.

Jay, pop the breakers and pull a few outlets out of the wall. Those pictures to me personally don’t look like what I have found firsthand as toxic drywall blackening, and I have seen it on copper pipes and have seen it tarnish bathroom fixtures. Appears more normal aging of the copper water lines. Without the evaporator coils or some ground wire samples from outlets throughout the house its too hard of a call to make just on those photos. Of all the homes I’ve inspected with toxic drywall I have yet to find one where the electrical panel showed anything.

More information needed. Chemical storage in the cabinet could have done this. Look at other metal items in the house, drywall stamping and the age of the items in question.

Thank you all for the feedback. I appreciate all of your suggestions and experience. Have a great weekend! :slight_smile:

Doesnt look like it to me. A/C freezing, is it the correct size for the house?

Yeah, just in bad need of a cleaning.

Hey Jay, if the fridge is in the home and is original you can check the copper by removing the back bottom panel near pump. If black could be problem.