Total Roof Perimeter - Hip or Other?

I had a customer come back and question my wind mit, saying they felt they should have received a hip credit when I indicated “other”. In fairness to them, and since it was close (10.8% gable features) I decided to go back an check my sketch, photos an then pull the building schematic from the prop appr. site (attached). It is a two-story house. My basic question is do you count hip roof lines from the second story in total perimeter calculations even if they are within the plan view envelope? I find upper level roof lines to be the most confusing part of doing wind mits.

Your pictures do not show enough to be helpful. If you numbers are correct on the drawing(without doing the math) it is non-hip.

56 Ft of gable is a lot of gable. That would mean you have to have 560 ft of perimeter roof and that’s a lot of house. Like John said you need more photos to get a better idea. But by the sketch alone it’s not even close to being hip.

Thanks guys. A couple more pics attached. Yes, 560’ of roof is a lot. That is what bothers me. The building schematic does not indicate anywhere close to 560’. I am concerned that I added the total second floor roof to the numbers when I was on site. I am confident in the 56 feet of gable but not the total roof footage. From an earlier question I asked on this house, note the rakes in each of the two photos - I counted them as gables. In front view of house there was another gable just like the one for the garage. Thank you again for your helpful replies.

First off, as has been said many times, there is only one perimeter, the distance around the structure.

Next, a little trick. The average garage is 22 feet wide. When you have a gable over the garage, you need 221 perimeter feet to get a hip credit. Most homes average 200-250, so on this house, you are already close.
Now you go to the back of the house and you have that gable end. Which looks like about 12 feet. Now you need 341 linear feet.

I would say, other.

You should have clear pictures of all sides in your report.

I agree we John, more clear pictures of the house elevations all the way around would off given is a much better view to help. Thanks for sharing

Thank you to all. A good tip on the garage; thank you Eric for the tip. It was a little difficult to get good pics of the roof lines all the way around due to the vegetation. I can probably do a better job on that. Thanks again!

What area will you be working in John?

Tampa Bay. With Certified Home Inspectors of West Florida, Inc.

http://www.chiofwfl.com/

Thanks for asking.

Cool, Good Luck :slight_smile:

You are more than welcome. I rarely ever measure a home. As John said, you need to take pictures of all the sides of the home, specifically, the roof areas, in the event that you may have to measure something.

Also, if you are lucky, you can find an aerial shot of the house to add to the report. Or, to help you when the ground views are obstructed by vegetation.

Something else to remember, the sketch on the appraisers site is of the slab, not the roof.
The average overhang of a roof may be 12-18 inches per side. That doesn’t sound like much, but I have had a few roofs, where three feet made a big difference. Remember to always think, in the back of your mind, what would a reinspector do.

Good luck and if you need anything, feel free to contact me.

Or, as I have started to do, use a drone for those difficult angled or difficult to view shots!:wink:

Bert