WDO Florida

Hi everyone,

I apologize for this post as I know this question has been asked before in the past but I would like to make sure I fully understand what we can and can’t do in regards to anything WDO related.

From what I can tell, home inspectors can’t:
-advertise WDO inspections
-perform WDO inspections
-fill out the WDO inspection checklist found on the InterNACHI website
-say that wood damage is due to WDO in a home inspection report
-do anything related to WDO

I ask this because i’ve used home inspectors in the past (when I was buying a home) and I was charged a fee for a termite inspection. Recently, i was working with a client who’s realtor requires a WDO report as part of her (the realtor’s) contract. In this situation, would I perform the home inspection and then recommend a pest control company to perform the WDO?

I’m also assuming the InterNACHI WDO course doesn’t do anything for home inspectors in Florida either?

Thanks in advance for any replies. Just trying to wrap my head around all of this and staying within the law.

-advertise WDO inspections…Nope!
-perform WDO inspections…Nope!
-fill out the WDO inspection checklist found on the InterNACHI website…For sure not.
-say that wood damage is due to WDO in a home inspection report…Yes you can, but you have to refer all WDO’s to a license Florida bug contractor.
do anything related to WDO …That was answered already.

1 Like

That’s exactly what I thought. Thank you for confirming!

Unless you are a card holder from the department of agriculture. The home inspection company must have a certified operator.

2 Likes

I don’t understand this. If you have taken the WDO course, why can’t you “inspect” for WDO? Why do you need an “applicators” license to simply state that there are termites present? I’m not a termicide tech or applying any kind of pest control. That would still be up to a pest control professional.

Some states have restrictions. In GA, I can and do inspect for WDO/WDI and report on it. However, this is not the same as a GA Wood Infestation Report, which must be performed by a licensed pest control contractor.

Where are you located?

Hey Brian, located in central Florida. I didn’t realize until I got to the end of the WDO course that you aren’t allowed to do WDO inspections or even advertise them unless you have a lot more credentials. Just seems ridiculous to me that you can’t even tell a client, “Yes, those are termites or carpenter ants”. Inspection and mentioning, is not assessing or performing pest control.

1 Like

@mgoldenberg could provide the best explanation for this. He’s in FL and wears both hats.

2 Likes

Structural Pest Control Act, Chapter 482 , Florida Statutes, and the associated rules, Chapter 5E-14, Florida Administrative Code

There is a promulgated form that must be used. DACS 13645
The inspector using the form must have an “ID card” authorizing use.

To obtain an ID card you must be an employee of a licensed pest control firm with a “State Certified Operator” in charge of operations.
There a 4 different categories for the operator to be licensed in.
General Pest Control/Rodent~Termite/WDO~Lawn & Ornamental~Fumigation.

After holding your ID card for 3 years & the operator has filled out the form certifying you have performed the required number of inspections, treatments, etc-you then are eligible to take the state exam to be licensed yourself.
The only way around that is you can qualify for exams if you have a degree in entomology, biology, etc.

There are heavy fines for companies that may “pay an operator” to be in charge of the operation, or a home inspector having a ID card so he can perform WDO reports but someone is paying a fee for it & not an employee.
This is called renting a license & will cost ya tons if you get caught.

There was a company down here called Ship Shape Pest Control.
The business license was revoked for life after the certificated operator was caught renting the license & was not actively in charge of the operations.
There are now gone.
**ps… not my buddy Curt Arnold of Ship Shape Home Inspections.

Don’t listed to non-licensed CRAP that can make it part of your home inspection, blah blah blah & good luck!
<MG State Lic Pest Control~Termite~Lawn & Ornamental Operator #2446 :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Hey Jonathan
for the record, carpenter ant & carpenter bees are not considered a wood-destroying organism in Florida.

1 Like

Any idea why WDO questions are on the state exam if we can’t say anything about it on an inspection?

1 Like

Call DBPR & let us know

Seems to me that there are very few things that licensed home inspectors can do, that other trades cannot. Weak lobbyists and associations not performing, perhaps. Ex. contractors can be home inspectors, no exam required, bug pros can be home inspectors, just pass the test, anyone else can be a home inspector, just pass the test. Where are the years working in the trade or working for a state licensed inspector just to be able to take the test for others? Not whining, just observing.

1 Like

I think the inspection part of pest control is a small part of their job. Just so happens to overlap. I just outsource to someone I trust and they schedule the inspection with me.

The company I use have taught me as we have gone along. I have a rudimentary understanding after the education but I would want a more in-depth course to say I knew enough.

Excellent response, Marc. Do you mind if I plagiarize this a bit as “important info” for my website? There are home inspectors in my area offering WDO inspections, and I have my suspicions about them being truly licensed and qualified. More power to them if they are… But I’d rather set myself apart by educating potential clients on how to be sure who they’re hiring has the proper credentials for the services they offer/advertise.

Sure John
Just be sure to not use or mention any specific names.
Good luck to you!

1 Like

Of course. I just like the way you worded a lot of that. Not planning on bus throwing. Just educating. Thanks for the assist. :blush::+1:

1 Like

Sorry to bring this one back.

I have a realtor that just started to do repair work for. She called me last night and asked to do an inspection on top of the absolute pile of work she wants done.

Then brought up WDO and when I told her I cannot, she said “All the other Inspectors I use, can, why can’t you?”. So I told her to use them. I’m probably going to do this work for her and stop taking her calls as the next thing she mentioned was that she often has to spend time correcting the inspection reports. “I don’t want any recommendations, either it needs fixed or it doesn’t, I’m tired of editing inspection reports”. Oooof big red flags there, not only unethical, it’s probably illegal in some fashion or another.

So, how is it that all these other inspectors are capable of doing WDO? I realize the requirements and I won’t rent a license. Is that what’s going on here?

In Florida? They’re not fully aware of the rules (just look at how times a FL inspector posts here asking if they can perform WDO, 'cause they took the NACHI course…)

Let DACS sort it out, fines are huge, $10,000 +, and if they are on the “rent-a-PCO” plan, it won’t be long before the liability squashes them.

3 Likes

I guess I need to find a WDO company in my area that will work with inspectors as far as scheduling goes. I.e. coordinate with them so we can do the same thing at the same time and they can do that part legally. I’m guessing no one will want to do that so I’m back to just being frustrated with the whole damn thing.

I don’t want to commute to Orlando and get another developer job. I burned up too much of my life away from home traveling to do that type of gig again. I thought this inspection gig might help fill in the gaps. I don’t want to spend my days fixing toilets and installing ceiling fans either. I guess there’s always a tent under a bridge somewhere.

1 Like