Why I don't solicit wind mits

Today’s home inspection had a wind mit as an add on
The home was built in 1989, is 3 stories, leeward of the coastal construction line and first floor is below the BFE.
First floor is piling and grade beam with breakaway walls. Second floor is reinforced masonry with a wood frame deck that posts up too support a 3rd floor wood deck that is covered with a roof. Third floor is wood frame with a hip roof.
Here is my dilemma as it relates too the wind mit; All of the deck post attachments that are providing the load path from the porch roof too the footings are severally corroded to the point that they are breaking away
(1)Form 1802 only asks me to answer as to the actual roof to wall attachments (they are in the attic space and not corroded)
(2) All openings on the second and third floors are fully protected with “dade county” labeled accordions while the garage door and one window on the first floor are not protected but because they are in a breakaway wall are not permitted too be protected by the F.B.C.
What say ye

1- answer the questions they could easily send their own guy to look at your concerns, and they usually do.

2- if the first floor is living space, I would probably mark one or more does not have protection and note it on the form. If it was not living space, I would make all openings protected and note it on the form that the first floor was not protected. Either way I doubt they are getting credit for the shutters, the underwriter will have to make the choice, though.

If you did the home inspection, someone should be addressing your concerns and it will not matter once they are fixed.

The 1802 has nothing to do with the findings of your home inspection. The client paying you to conduct the inspections deserves your due diligence in reporting of deficiencies observed in your inspection.

The 1802 form which asks specific questions and demands specific answers should be filled out on that basis the questions should be answered.

The client purchasing the report(s) is entitled to the BENEFIT of the forms ignorance of the fact that the 1802 fails to provide information that the insurance company may deem makes the home unworthy of windstorm protection.

Unfortunately, well said Brian. John, if the house is built on pilings, I thought the ground floor was not considered living space especially if the walls are breakaway, is there “wiggle” room there?

No there is really no wiggle room and the room should not be living space. Many do get turned into living space though. The form simply does not address it though. The other issue is if you are not going to count the lower level, shouldn’t the door to the second level be protected? This is why you note it and let the underwriter decided.

The first floor contained an exit door and stair leading to the second floor that was protected with accordions. All second and third level openings were protected. Because the two unprotected openings on the first floor are in break away walls that surround storage areas I checked all exterior openings protected. The corroded connectors are reported on the home inspection report.